• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The demise of bus stop timetables

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I generally find bustimes.org to be accurate (as it's fed from the registered timetables, I believe) so check that. Unfortunately it isn't an official site so has no legal status - oh for something that simple that was!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welshman

Established Member
you might want to chat with Gwynedd and sort the following out:

Unfortunately, they are not the same. Arriva shows last departures on a Sunday on route 5 as : 1959, 2035, 2120, 2220
Gwynedd shows the 1959 as the last.
Gwynedd's timetable dated 5/09. Arriva's dated 12/09!

This is the worst of all worlds. I wonder why people don't use public transport?
Gwynedd's timetable is unreliable at other times too. I was alarmed to find there is no bus from Bangor to Llandudno on a weekday between 1645 & 1805!
Arriva's timetable assures me there are three departures during that period!

Last edited by a moderator:

Typhoon

Established Member
I generally find bustimes.org to be accurate (as it's fed from the registered timetables, I believe) so check that. Unfortunately it isn't an official site so has no legal status - oh for something that simple that was!
You are right, and also often beats the 'official' sites with updates. Unfortunately, it is an unknown quantity to the average passenger, I am sure that if you suggested such an idea to the DfT they would readily take it on. :smile:

Certainly Gwynedd's timetable is unreliable at other times too. I was alarmed to find there is no bus from Bangor to Llandudno on a weekday between 1645 & 1805!
Arriva's assures me there are three departures during that period!
Thanks. bustimes.org also gives the last bus as 19:59 and claims:
Timetable data from Arriva UK Bus/Bus Open Data Service, 10 September 2021.
Fortunately I have no plans to go to north Wales to try 1bws yet awhile. Hopefully it will be sorted by then!

miklcct

On Moderation
On the Yellow Buses website, when they announced the service changes they included an apology that bus stop timetables might not be changed as quickly as usual this time, because the timetable change coincided with the Bournemouth Air Festival.
It's now a week since Holdenhurst Road closed again. morebus has already removed everything from the closed Unisys bus stops but Yellow Buses has still done nothing there with timetables still clearly shown without anything saying the bus stop is closed.

RELL6L

You are right, and also often beats the 'official' sites with updates. Unfortunately, it is an unknown quantity to the average passenger, I am sure that if you suggested such an idea to the DfT they would readily take it on. :smile:

Thanks. bustimes.org also gives the last bus as 19:59 and claims:

Fortunately I have no plans to go to north Wales to try 1bws yet awhile. Hopefully it will be sorted by then!
What a shambles - again!

Looking at the Arriva version of the timetable there are a number of almost duplicated journeys, eg 06.25 and 06.30 off Llandudno, also 10.00 and 10.05, then two at 15.30 off Caernarfon. Needless to say these are not real. I noted on the Arriva thread the apparent gap, according to Gwynedd, in departure times from Bangor to Llandudno between 16.45 and 18.05. This is not real either, there are buses at 17.05 and 17.25. But in the evening I am not sure about the 22.45 from Bangor to Llandudno shown by Arriva (but not Gwynedd), this does not seem to have run at all last week and the 21.47 didn't run some days!

Established Member
In this case while the 5 and 5D look to be correct bustimes also show the X5 and 5E still. Mind you the odd journey from the previous timetable has slipped into the arriva timetable PDF.

AndrewE

Established Member
Bus-stop timetables are being replaced (updated from 1st Sept) around South Cheshire today.

I think we may have been lucky in Transport for Greater Manchester (TFGM) land, or certainly the Wigan area.
During the height of pandemic, timetable posters did become outdated due to the frequency of changes, and there were notices outlining this in most locations. For a good few months now, my experience of timetable posters has been that they match what is scheduled.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andyh82

Established Member
TFGM are actually still publishing paper timetables as well, which is a fairly rare occurrence these days

Auld reekie

It would appear that Lothian Buses have started putting timetables back at bus stops.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Walked past a few bus stops today in Keighley showing times for the 717. This changed its number in 2016 and has had at least three timetable changes.

HullRailMan

Last year, Stagecoach Hull changed route 5 in the Kingswood area meaning buses to/from the city centre now ran from the stop on the other side of the road. The app and online network map weren’t updated with this change for several weeks after, and the bus stop timetables, where they exist, are still wrong. At the time, the only way you would know about the change was to stand at the wrong stop and miss the first bus or employ the resources of Mystic Meg.

As an aside, the only timetable info updated at bus stops in Hull for about 3 years now is at the Paragon Interchange. Many bus stop flags still show route numbers that haven’t existed for some time. The council have pressed ahead with enforcing all bus lanes for 13 hours per day but yet can’t even provide basic info for prospective bus users.

scotrail158713

Established Member
I was in Perth the other day and found timetable information to be up to date at any stop I used. That's the best I've seen in any area recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.