• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The "Durham Coast Fliers" - Popular? No stop Hartlepool?

70014IronDuke

Established Member
I see that the new, limited-stop Newcastle - Middlesbro' 1TP2H services has been launched, presumably with this months' new timetable. Questions:

1) Are these trains popular? Have they made news in the north-east, or have they 'just happened'?

2) To my amazement, looking at RTT they are not stopping at Hartlepool. Is this because the old platform (platform2?) has still not been re-instated? Is it happening? Surely the Pools is too big a traffic generator (at least potentially) to be missed?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
RTT displays “service stop unadvertised” at Hartlepool with a 2 min timing - perhaps they will call there in future.

Established Member
It’s been a news story in the Northern Echo News paper, not seen it on tv news but dint watch it often.

Iskra

Established Member
The Hartlepool stop is to come later.

It will probably take a little while for people to clock on to these services existing. Im confident they will be successful in the long term.

Llandudno

Established Member
The Hartlepool stop can’t come soon enough.

I had reason to travel to Hartlepool a couple of Saturdays ago, the hourly 2 car Northern 156 crush loaded at lunchtime heading to Newcastle, left passengers behind at Stockton and Seaton Carew

The ‘new’ platform at Hartlepool looks great, shame it’s not open yet!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
1) Are these trains popular? Have they made news in the north-east, or have they 'just happened'?
I regularly see the 1616 from Middlesbrough to Newcastle as it departs Middlesbrough. Seems to average around ten people from my observations. Considering they've only been running a couple of weeks it's probably a bit too soon to tell whether they're a success or not!
2) To my amazement, looking at RTT they are not stopping at Hartlepool. Is this because the old platform (platform2?) has still not been re-instated? Is it happening? Surely the Pools is too big a traffic generator (at least potentially) to be missed?
Once platform 3 is open they will call at Hartlepool. I don't believe it's possible to fit them and the other traffic into Hartlepool until then with a call. Or at least it isn't advisable to do so.

Veteran Member
Why can't the Northbound services stop?
It could, but if they did, cue complaint "I caught the express to Newcastle but on the way back it didn't stop..." It's better to have the same pattern both ways, I suppose.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
RTT displays “service stop unadvertised” at Hartlepool with a 2 min timing - perhaps they will call there in future.

Thks for this and others. Interestingly, it didn't have that in the RTT display of the trains I was looking at last week.

TUC

Established Member

What does 'service stop unadvertised' mean? Does it mean that in practice it stops and is available to board, although not publicised, or something different?

The exile

Established Member
What does 'service stop unadvertised' mean? Does it mean that in practice it stops and is available to board, although not publicised, or something different?
Is it not that the stop has been timetabled in and will eventually happen - just not yet. Whether or not the train actually stops would depend on circumstances, I suppose, but highly unlikely that the doors would be unlocked!

Anvil1984

Established Member

The Hartlepool “unadvertised” stop does not appear on traincrew diagrams and trains will run through without stopping. It’s just pretty much a placeholder for when they do stop

Anvil1984

Established Member
I see Grand Central had a unit out last night running ECS, doing Sunderland-Thornaby - Darlington -Thornaby-Sunderland. As part of its journey it spent a while in platform 3 at Hartlepool. I assume it is part of the Commissioning process? Can’t be long before platform 3 comes into full time use.
www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:N00055/2024-02-08/detailed#allox_id=3

You are reading too much into this, there is still a lot of work happening in the lift / footbridge areas. The reason for the stop is that is was pathed behind the 2 Northern stopping services towards Stockton / Nunthorpe

Megafuss

I think it would be wise for extra signage to be put up on Platform 3 before it opens, specifically for the mostly 2 car Northern trains. There is going to be mild consternation in some quarters as trains will be stopping at the far end, and not near the footbridge. I assume it's due to the signal and the curve of the platform?

darloscott

Used one of these last night - 1820 off Newcastle (thanks to the 1845 not running)… was pleasantly surprised to see a very decent load, probably three quarters full seat wise. 2/3’s of those got off at Thornaby with the rest to Middlesbrough. Was a rather pleasant run nonstop from Sunderland to Thornaby!