• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The E320 is horrible. Discuss.

From a passenger perspective, is the class 374 better or worse than the 373?

• Better

Votes: 23 39.7%
  • Neutral / No Opinion

Votes: 18 31.0%
  • Worse

Votes: 17 29.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlexNL

Established Member
People use IC Direct because it saves them 25 minutes, when it runs. It is the worst performing service in the Netherlands and punctuality has fallen dramatically over the last 12 months.

radamfi

Established Member
People use IC Direct because it saves them 25 minutes, when it runs. It is the worst performing service in the Netherlands and punctuality has fallen dramatically over the last 12 months.

Is there a particular reason for the poor punctuality?

AlexNL

Established Member
Part of it is to blame on weather: the Hollandsch Diep bridge closes at times of high winds. Throughout 2015, there were a lot more occurences of high winds than in 2014.

Other reasons are to blame on infrastructure failure (points failures, signalling failures, and so on) but the majority is problems with the trains themselves. ERTMS failures, connection losses, or staff deeming the rolling stock unfit for service.

Trains breaking down en-route happen quite often as well. A train has to changeover between ATB and ERTMS ánd between 1.5 kV and 25 kV four times an hour, which not always goes as smoothly as it should.

Groningen

Established Member
Go to Twitter and fill in: Intercity Direct. No positive reactions there. Also failed today; if 1 train goes down, than everything collapses. Just today from our dutch railways at 17.23: HSL Amsterdam-Breda; geen Intercity direct treinen door een defecte trein.

But! I though this thread is about the E320. In my eyes it is too early to judge about that train!

33Hz

I recently traveled on one for the first time. Disappointing, plastic, uncomfortable, bad ride, harsh lighting, noisy if you are unlucky enough to be in the seated half of a buffet car, the so-called Pininfarina design touches are non-existent except for the tap in the toilet which doesn't work as well as a normal tap, the tables can't keep your drink in place as there is no cup holder or depression to put it in.

Give me an ICE3 or Velaro D any day. Or indeed a 373.

Last edited:

FQTV

I recently traveled on one for the first time. Disappointing, plastic, uncomfortable, bad ride, harsh lighting, noisy if you are unlucky enough to be in the seated half of a buffet car, the so-called Pininfarina design touches are non-existent except for the tap in the toilet which doesn't work as well as a normal tap, the tables can't keep your drink in place as there is no cup holder or depression to put it in.

Give me an ICE3 or Velaro D any day. Or indeed a 373.

Posting this from an E320 somewhere in Nord Pas de Calais, heading South.

I'm sad to say that I rather agree with the above. I'm in Standard Premier, and the ride feels both harsh and floaty at the same time - which is quite a feat. It does queasily remind me (through the fog of history) of the jittery sloppiness of 225s when they first set sail.

The WiFi is flaky at best.

The seat is board-hard, and the reclined position is the angle that I'd have expected the upright position to be.

I feel a bit like the Twerp In Seat 44, which is a Club Duo seat in the 'ballroom' in the middle of the coach. It's badly misaligned with the window, and 43 facing is backed by an opaque glass magazine rack which makes my 44, what should be one of the most 'open' seats in the house, quite claustrophobic. The view from 43, both along the carriage and out of the window, is much better.

However, seats 41 and 42 opposite, much better propositions; they align perfectly with the window, which at least means that 41, facing its own magazine rack, has a far more open aspect with the correctly-aligned window.

The soft-service is, of course, common to both old and new trains, with the measly continental breakfast a bit of a waste of time, especially when it's served on a late-running mid-morning service which burrows up through French soil at 13:01 local.

And they really do need to do something about the view in the tunnel :D.

The train feels fairly well screwed-together though; I can't discern any notable squeaks or rattles and the dominant noise in-flight is the HVAC, which is perfectly fine.

Hopefully the seat info above is useful to some.

jon0844

Veteran Member
So, Eurostar have managed to take essentially the ICE3 (a wonderful train) and make it rubbish.

Why am I not surprised?

I travelled first class on an ICE 3 and felt of the various ICE trains I'd been on during the same trip, it was the most boring and a reflection of modern materials.

I am someone who generally prefers modern tech to old stuff, but it sounds like the new Eurostar trains are actually very much like the ICE 3. It's how most modern trains are, and they're probably very long lasting and easier to keep looking clean - but still much cheaper looking.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
I am someone who generally prefers modern tech to old stuff, but it sounds like the new Eurostar trains are actually very much like the ICE 3. It's how most modern trains are, and they're probably very long lasting and easier to keep looking clean - but still much cheaper looking.

A cheap looking train wouldn't put people off using the service though. There is a difference between using a service and buying a product.

33Hz

I travelled first class on an ICE 3 and felt of the various ICE trains I'd been on during the same trip, it was the most boring and a reflection of modern materials.

I am someone who generally prefers modern tech to old stuff, but it sounds like the new Eurostar trains are actually very much like the ICE 3.

I agree that the older ICEs are nicer if you get a compartment in first, but I don't agree that the open coaches on the older ICE are better than the ICE3.

However both are far superior to the E320. The materials and comfort of the seats are a league above.

I wouldn't want to do the Marseilles run in an E320.

Last edited:

VauxhallandI

Established Member
I've just returned from a trip to Paris, outward on the new unit and returned on the old one.

Both in Standard Premier.

I am tall at 6'7" but I have to say the new table design is flawed, the fold in section has to be pulled out to fit my legs under and even when it has been done the bar hits my knees.

Seems like style over practicability.

On another note the upgrade on the way out was discounted due to it being school holiday time, which was nice. Not the case on the way back unfortunately!

33Hz

I had my first trip on a refurbed e300 this week, in standard premier. I have to say I found it even worse than the e320.

Very plastic, most seats are now airline, seat pitch is bolt upright and you can't change the angle of the back, the neck padding in the seat back was designed for someone 5'8" and thus dug into my back the whole way, lighting is way too harsh, build quality was extremely questionable with inch sized gaps in the plastic window trim that also had sharp edges. Plenty of seats that don't line up with the windows.

At least there was a vanity mirror in every seat back.

Honestly the worse TGV interior yet.

trainmania100

Established Member
Personally i rather like the look of the 374 compared to the 373, it is very modern.
Ive never been inside the 374 but from many peoples opinion I assume the 373 is better.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Interesting as I was led believe the E320 is essentially a Siemens Valero D or ICE 4 (which unsurprisingly is late).

No, it's an improved-upon ICE3. The ICE4 is the old ICx project, which is a 170mph hauled stock replacement. I suspect it was rebranded to allow DB to claim all long distance services are ICEs and so up the fares.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Personally, I like modern looks and features, so for that reason I like the refreshed 373s and quite like the new Eurostar too.

But my wife isn't so bothered about that, and preferred the old Eurostar on our recent trip to France. For the reason that she found the seats more comfortable and had more legroom.

I'd say that this made just about everything else immaterial for her, and I assume she's not alone.

(Personally, I really disliked the old interior - in standard at least).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The old interior was drab[1] and had the stupid and pointless[2] litter bins where your knees go.

[1] Fluorescent lighting, so not even as classy as the Pendolino.

[2] Too small for most litter, and more effort to empty than picking it up off a seat if left there.

Clansman

Established Member
I don't care for the aesthetics of the train itself, as long as the seat space is maximised along with the legroom, proportionate number of tables and window alignment, then I'm happy.

SNCF seem to be going down the road every train operator is seemingly looking to go down, and to using smaller seats in replacement of their older larger ones. In first class, they just use standard class seats but separated with 2 larger armrests, instead of the 1 in standard. On the 373s (Old interior), the seats had "wings" on the sides of the base, extending outwards, which allowed more movement in the seat and generally provides the passenger with the utmost available comfort. No idea why TOCs and European operators alike are phasing them out and going down the road of using smaller seats in both classes - separated by nothing but a mere gap of plastic. It all started with DB, and now I fear it's only going to spread further in future, as we've already seen with up in coming trains on our network.

Although the old interiors on the 373s were drab and were fast becoming hard and uncomfortable, as well as cramped. So it's good to have something fresh for a change, although that being said, I do like the more enclosed ambiance given off by the 373s. It makes the interior feel warmer, and gives a sense of luxury to any journey - especially in Business Premier.

In general, it's the little things that matter; and things such as wings on seats, covered armrests, pull-up tables, window alignment - things which could easily be added without sacrificing space. All of which can make all the difference in differentiating between a passenger having a pleasant experience, or one of which they sign up on here and rant about ;)

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
window alignment

This. I can understand why it's uneconomic to have two different bodyshell designs, thus meaning that it's necessary to compromise in Standard. But having seats not aligned with windows in both classes is inexcusable and shows a clear lack of attention to design detail.

Polarbear

Established Member
Having had a few runs on the 374's, I find that I'm reasonably impressed with them, but agree with those who have pointed out the (sometimes) lousy seat/window interface issues.

Not sampled one in 1st class yet (and not likely to as I remember the former Leisure First offer & haven't opted for it's dumbed down replacement).

Overall, it's OK, but not the step change improvement that it really should have been.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
TBH the only objection I have to the concept of Standard Premier is the stupid expenses-fraud-encouraging name. My personal preference would be that First Class would all be about 1.5 times Standard and would entitle you only to a better seat, possibly with a paid-for at seat service on proper plates etc of buffet stuff.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Bar my first trip in 1994 to simply try Eurostar out (out and back almost straight away), I have only ever travelled in the leisure first or whatever it was called. Since that changed, I've switched to standard only.

My last trip paid for by someone else was also standard, which was a first (sic) but I guess pricing and what's offered has put off some companies from spending more, when it's easier to meet up before travel at somewhere like Benugo (St Pancras) or whatever for something to eat/drink and then go through - given how quick it is to clear security.

Status
Not open for further replies.