• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The effectiveness of the current UK driving test

Status
Not open for further replies.

gg1

Established Member
Kugas are available with both, I actively sought out a base model because I didn't want leather seats nor the two most awful modern car features, an electronic handbrake or a touchscreen instead of physical controls. (I think the latter should actually be banned for basic functions - all indications, heating etc should be mandated to have physical controls to be usable blind while moving).

Releasing it when you dab the throttle seems a really, really stupid idea. The footbrake should have to be applied, or the car in gear and the clutch coming up, to release it.
Possibly worthy of it's own thread: "luxury/high end features of cars you'd pay extra not to have"

Mine would be low profile tyres, seems to be the norm that if you want a higher spec model of the same car you're lumbered with the harsher ride that goes with larger rims/shallower tyres.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Possibly worthy of it's own thread: "luxury/high end features of cars you'd pay extra not to have"

Mine would be low profile tyres, seems to be the norm that if you want a higher spec model of the same car you're lumbered with the harsher ride that goes with larger rims/shallower tyres.

Your wish is my command! :)

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
When I learnt to drive many years ago, I recall my instructor telling me that they there were not allowed to take people on the same routes as the driving tests. However, it would be impossible not to have some level of interaction.
It took me two attempts to pass my driving test (in different cities a few years apart) and both tests included roads and junctions that my driving lessons had not covered.

That's definitely changed, or maybe my instructor (back in 2019) was just bending the rules for me: he had memorised every route the test centre ever did, and took me round two or three per lesson. He even pointed out the pub whose car park they used to test bay parking, which instructors were banned from because it annoyed the customers.
My driving test (back in 1992) was on one of the routes that my driving instructor had taken me along several times. It involved a bit of town driving and a bit of rural back road driving which then led to joining a busy trunk route at a junction where you had to get out quite quickly (my 3rd to 5th gearchange was noted at the time). I'm not entirely convinced that instructors would have officially been prevented from taking their students along particular routes; in some places there might not be much choice.

class68fan

On Moderation
I were take on test route many times when I learn to drive. In the test he say take the 2nd exit on roundbout, It were not a test route we done so I miss exit. Lucky he say I meant that exit. I continue to indicate right and took his exit, I pass test.

Test teach you lot but no everything, that come on my own.

The highway cod bit were hard

HOOVER29

The modern UK driving test is generally harder than it was years ago and has a lot more parts to it such as show me, tell me, independent driving, hazard participation etc

However does this actually work have we noticed a reduction in accidents among new drivers or in comparison to other countries with less stringent tests? Some people argue that new drivers are learning how to pass a driving test as opposed to how to drive.

Also Do you think a course based system would be more effective as done in some other countries?
I passed my test after 3 lessons having never driven before back in 1986
I’d stand up right now and admit if I retook my test today then I’d fail hands down.
Too many bad habits

As for the test being harder, the amount of parcel delivery vans around our way with massive dents in them suggests that anyone can pass the test!

Status
Not open for further replies.