• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Fire Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg Wetzel

I have a question about fire trains that existed during the time of the "Big Four": when the train reached the fire, how would the water get from the tank wagon(s) and out of the hoses. Was a pump attached to the tank wagon(s) and the hose connected to the pump? Or was there a hose attached from a tank wagon to a pump and then another hose (in which water would come out) attached to the pump?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
I have not gone into a detailed investigation of these trains, but either a steam-powered pump was fixed to the engine or more commonly one or more portable pumps were carried on the train. These pumps, in common with all Fire Service pumps, have a 'suction hose' which takes water from the source into the pump where it is pressurised and discharged into fire-fighting hose via outlet(s) on the pump. The pumps were equipped with 'Primers' which could generate a a vacuum in the suction side of the pump to lift water from a source below the level of the pump.
However, with fire trains, the pumps were usually below the level of the water in the tanks (often old engine tenders). The tanks would be linked together to allow pump(s) to run without interruption.
I used to be a member of the Fire Brigade Society - see www.thefirebrigadesociety.co.uk and it may be worth contacting them; I don't recall such trains being mentioned in their Journal while I was a member.
There is a photo in "Britain's Railways at War" by Alan Earnshore (Atlantic Transport Publishers, 1995) which shows how in WW2 portable 'trailer' pumps were carried in covered vans fitted with built-in hoists so the pumps could quickly lifted out to be wheeled to wherever they were needed.

Rescars

IIRC nine ex LBSC D1 0-4-2Ts had fire pumps fitted during WW2 to act as "fire engines" with the aim of extinguishing fires caused by incendiary bombs at main loco depots. The pumps were fitted behind the bunker in place of the tool box. There are photos of these engines showing that they carried substantial hoses, presumably to connect the pumps to a suitable water supply - hopefully there would have been options available at major loco servicing points, even during an air raid.

StoneRoad

Would ask how the Ffestiniog dealt with this, as I dimly remember something about putting out lineside fires in areas inaccessible by road - but I can't recall the details ...

Greg Wetzel

I have not gone into a detailed investigation of these trains, but either a steam-powered pump was fixed to the engine or more commonly one or more portable pumps were carried on the train. These pumps, in common with all Fire Service pumps, have a 'suction hose' which takes water from the source into the pump where it is pressurised and discharged into fire-fighting hose via outlet(s) on the pump. The pumps were equipped with 'Primers' which could generate a a vacuum in the suction side of the pump to lift water from a source below the level of the pump.
However, with fire trains, the pumps were usually below the level of the water in the tanks (often old engine tenders). The tanks would be linked together to allow pump(s) to run without interruption.
I used to be a member of the Fire Brigade Society - see www.thefirebrigadesociety.co.uk and it may be worth contacting them; I don't recall such trains being mentioned in their Journal while I was a member.
There is a photo in "Britain's Railways at War" by Alan Earnshore (Atlantic Transport Publishers, 1995) which shows how in WW2 portable 'trailer' pumps were carried in covered vans fitted with built-in hoists so the pumps could quickly lifted out to be wheeled to wherever they were needed.
Thank you for the information. I will contact them when I have a chance.

Would ask how the Ffestiniog dealt with this, as I dimly remember something about putting out lineside fires in areas inaccessible by road - but I can't recall the details ...
Thank you for the recommendation. I will definitely get in touch with them when I have a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.