• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The FT: Chris Grayling looks to Japan to make the most of privatisation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gostav

I can picture Grayling suggesting that the British train drivers start adopting the Japanese drivers habit of pointing at the signal and saying what the signal shows! :smile:

I think it is a legacy from the old day when no cab signal and poor view by steam locomotives, the driver usually confirmed the signal and called "Clear!" or "(arm) up!"for fireman who also checked the signal. That is "Pointing and Calling"

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RailWonderer

Established Member
There is a counterpart in Hokkaido Island called the the Soya Main Line, which runs from Asahikawa to Nayoro to Wakkanai (the northernmost station in Japan). It mirrors the Far North Line in many ways: There is a southern section which has increasing commuter traffic (Asahikawa to Nayoro/Inverness to Tain) and a northern section which passes through some very isolated parts of the country as well as linking several small towns together (Bifuka, Toyotomi/Lairg and Helmsdale) to a port at the very northern end (Wakkanai/Thurso).

It amazes me how Wakkanai has a new glass building, I can't imagine Thurso getting the same treatment, like a Norman Foster designed sleek futuristic station building with a congratulations-for-arriving-here cafeteria. I bet a few would actually do the trip for a novelty factor and passenger traffic would bump up per year but it would never be viable.

swaldman

I think it is a legacy from the old day when no cab signal and poor view by steam locomotives, the driver usually confirmed the signal and called "Clear!" or "(arm) up!"for fireman who also checked the signal. That is "Pointing and Calling"

Nah, the Japanese do this everywhere, not just when driving trains. I think the idea is to associate remembering to check something with an action, and have that action become muscle memory.

I've also heard arguments against it, I think along the lines of "it means you don't really notice what you're checking... so you check it but don't see if it's wrong" ;)

(EDIT: I mean, it may be that people did this in steam locos, and for all I know this could be the origin. But the Japanese do it in places unrelated to railways too)

DanDaDriver

Nah, the Japanese do this everywhere, not just when driving trains. I think the idea is to associate remembering to check something with an action, and have that action become muscle memory.

I've also heard arguments against it, I think along the lines of "it means you don't really notice what you're checking... so you check it but don't see if it's wrong" ;)

(EDIT: I mean, it may be that people did this in steam locos, and for all I know this could be the origin. But the Japanese do it in places unrelated to railways too)

Good old NTS

Busaholic

Veteran Member
In the unlikely event that Chris Grayling had been appointed by the Japanese to be in charge of their railways, he would have had to fall on his sword (probably literally) within the first week.

Muzer

Established Member
I can picture Grayling suggesting that the British train drivers start adopting the Japanese drivers habit of pointing at the signal and saying what the signal shows! :smile:
It's actually a really good thing for safety. Psychologically it works in a similar way to things like checklists, used very successfully in the aviation industry - if you actually have to do something active whenever you see a signal it reduces the chance of you misreading a signal by habit. Of all the things you could have picked on the Japanese for doing, you have to choose an actually good idea of theirs!

Status
Not open for further replies.