• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Garstang to Knott End Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

randyrippley

Established Member
Ah -- clueless Southron that I am, I get lost with these subtleties. Sometimes on these Forums, pronunciation is argued about -- in a thread not hugely long ago, in which I took part re stuff in these parts: there was aired the oddity that the Forest involved here is spelt "Bowland", but sometimes pronounced "Bolland". (Also threatening to come in here, the engaging published fantasy tale, by "BB", The Forest of Boland Light Railway: in which the gnomes dwelling in said forest, invent the steam-worked railway -- centuries before humans do same in their sphere of activity.)

There are some strange pronunciations around there, but I've never heard Bowland said that way.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
We discussed pronunciation of the B-place some eighteen months ago, on the "UK Railway Discussion" sub-forum: the "evergreen" thread there "Trivia: Place names that you're not sure how to pronounce", pages 25 and 26. One poster told of his encountering in those parts, both pronunciations -- "Boh-land" and "Bolland": his impression was that the two co-existed peacefully. I heard the "Bolland" version from a friend with whom I was driving through the area: this chap is quite often a bit odd about various pronunciation matters; but the abovementioned poster would seem to give him some vindication on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.