• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Great Circular European Railway Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lj9090

I think we need someone on the ground at this stage. This list shows no buses for 6 hours between 9 and 15:00, which I dont believe.
The train from Bosnia gets in about 11. There simply have to be buses, in fact I have seen some coastal one somewhere.

Ploce to Split right? Just got back from a trip out there, did Sarajevo as a day trip on the train from Mostar and then got a bus from there to Split.
That site seems to miss out a few busses sometimes... it helps to guess where the busses are coming from and input that instead and check the stops.

Try Mostar->Split, and there's one which claims to stop in Ploce at 12.55. The journey from Mostar to the Coast won't be as interesting as that from Sarajevo to Mostar, so you might want to change in Mostar anyway. I got the 12.50 bus from Mostar which left nearly full, and filled up further as it made it's way down to the coast, so as a group you run the risk it might not fit all of you on if you try and join at Ploce.

That train is 2 carriages of compartments. Jump on it quickly in order to secure clean windows if you want a view. Half of them are completely misted up inside the glazing. The other half are just filthy.

Mark_Lester

Ploce to Split right? Just got back from a trip out there, did Sarajevo as a day trip on the train from Mostar and then got a bus from there to Split.
That site seems to miss out a few busses sometimes... it helps to guess where the busses are coming from and input that instead and check the stops.

Try Mostar->Split, and there's one which claims to stop in Ploce at 12.55. The journey from Mostar to the Coast won't be as interesting as that from Sarajevo to Mostar, so you might want to change in Mostar anyway. I got the 12.50 bus from Mostar which left nearly full, and filled up further as it made it's way down to the coast, so as a group you run the risk it might not fit all of you on if you try and join at Ploce.

That train is 2 carriages of compartments. Jump on it quickly in order to secure clean windows if you want a view. Half of them are completely misted up inside the glazing. The other half are just filthy.
Outstanding, thank you indeed.
Yes it seems there's roughly one an hour, it's just none of them set of from Ploce so as you say, we're prob going to have to split for Split. But we have quite a bit of time and those who want to avoid being forced to go swimming in Bacvice can get a later one and slope off into the old town.

Do at least the door windows come down on the train ?

lj9090

Outstanding, thank you indeed.
Yes it seems there's roughly one an hour, it's just none of them set of from Ploce so as you say, we're prob going to have to split for Split. But we have quite a bit of time and those who want to avoid being forced to go swimming in Bacvice can get a later one and slope off into the old town.

Do at least the door windows come down on the train ?

Oh god, I can't remember! I seem to remember they did, but come to think of it I'm not entirely sure and my memory could be playing tricks on me. It was a bit cold and wet that day so I don't think I even tried. It does have a window in the vestibule door at the back so you can watch the track disappear behind you if you want.

One of the carriages has smoking in the corridors too, if that's your thing.

eta: Found pictures I took of the coaching stock. Door windows are fixed, and all the others are fanlights.

Last edited:

Mark_Lester

One of the carriages has smoking in the corridors too, if that's your thing.

eta: Found pictures I took of the coaching stock. Door windows are fixed, and all the others are fanlights.
well, we wanted the southern section to be contrasting with the rest, and it sure will by the sounds of it. I hope they are smoking that black tobacco that used to hit you as soon as you crossed the iron curtain.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
if you want to follow us round, we have the the following array of social media

facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/GCERC

and also a twitter feed
https://twitter.com/DisorientTweets

and a tumblr thing
http://disorient-express.tumblr.com/

so if you want to be spammed every time we change trains sign up to one of those.

Dave also has started up his own blog
http://disorientateddave.blogspot.co.uk/
and of course there's the "official" blog on my sig.

Donbacsi

Re: Dave's blog (bog) and the shreddies photo. I'll take the one on the left...sans shreddies!

Glenmutchkin

Re: Dave's blog (bog) and the shreddies photo. I'll take the one on the left...sans shreddies!

I regret to inform you that your preferred option is no longer available. However we can offer you http://disorientateddave.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/celebrity-interview-scooter-gourmet.html

In order to comply with forum rules I believe that I am required to quote a few lines.

We met poolside at an exclusive Beverley Hills hotel. Don opened the door of our hero's British Racing Green, leather trimmed Jaguar exactly on time and it was soon clear that Scooter wanted to waste no time in communicating with you, his public.

DD - Good morning Scooter. It's a pleasure to have the chance to talk to you.

Scooter - Cut the crap kid. Time is money.

What first interested you in extreme train travel?...............................Read on

Mark_Lester

Scooter actually has a competitor for the role who goes by the name of Captain Shakti, GCIRC participants probably wont thank me for reminding them about him.
I haven't the bottle just yet to subject the facebook group to a picture of "The Captain" but John insists that he's coming.
What has Scooter got to say about our plans for Budapest ?.

Donbacsi

It seems the rate for the large lockers is now 600HUF. Shocking! I believe that comes to about 2 Pounds per 24 hours.

Mark_Lester

It seems the rate for the large lockers is now 600HUF. Shocking! I believe that comes to about 2 Pounds per 24 hours.
well they take probably 3 bags each if they are the same size as everywhere else, which comes out under 60p each.
As the departure date hurtles towards us, like an express train, the overriding feeling about these stops is one of survival:- dump the bags, go get the picnic, sit down, think "<expletive deleted>, so how any is that so far ?", then get back to the station.
We have more time in Bud' than most places. I'm sure I can make it up the siklo and back, but that is probably going to be the extent of if, the market taking the other half of the afternoon.
Are you going to be in the land of your fathers next month ?.

Donbacsi

All things seem go at the moment. But just in case: here is your BUD itinerary. This is the bare minimum and can all be done and is all obligatory!
Take Metro from Keleti to Deak Ter where you will transfer to the Millenium Underground, the #1 or yellow line. Ride it almost to the end and get a pic at Heroes' Square (Hosok Ter). This is mandatory and will take no more than 1/2 hour total (meaning return). You MUST ride the Millenium.
Ride back to Vorosmarti Ter. Upon exiting, you may want a goodie at the world famous Gerbeaud which will be just to your left. Walk two blocks to the river. Turn right toward the Parliament and walk or ride the #2 tram to the famous Chain Bridge. Walk over it keeping to the south side for photos. Immediately at the other end you will find the Siklo. Ride up, go to Fishermens' Bastion for photos. Ride Siklo back down and catch the tram heading to your right. Go to Central Market. Do not get run over as you jump off the tram and dash toward the north entrance of the market. If you are hungry go up escalator to the bufe counters and get anything that looks good and is semi-recognizable. Your vegitarian can ask for lecso (LAY-cho). Have a shot of barack palinka as aperitif and wash entire meal down with wine or beer. Look at tourists and tourist stuff. Go down to main level and from front door look south and turn to your right and go all the way to wall, turn left and walk down for selections meats, sausages at best selection and prices. As you work your way toward center aisle you will find fresh produce, Tokaji, pate and cheeses. LAST stop in market is the basement. Advance recon informs that this is not only pickles, caviar, Kinley ginger ale, fresh and smoked fishes of all sorts, but also the same selection of reds and whites will be found as up top but cheaper. After obligatory photo of all lunatics eating entire watermelon (dinnye) in one bite, purchase large dills, small sweets, dinnye and wild forest mushrooms (gomba). Here is a hint for all you cheap UK b*stards: Tip the Pickle Girl 1,000HuF BEFORE you ask for samples. Make certain she knows it is for her. You will find it to be a much more lavish experience. Only then go to supermarket and get the tonnes of wine, beer, breads, mezes kolacsa (small honey sweet rolls that will last for days) condiments in tubes and/or jars and ginger beer for the trip back to Keleti. From here you need only to figure out how to lug all your treasures back to Keleti. This is the ONLY way I recommend you do this stop!

Last edited:

Donbacsi

You could try, but will most likely be p*ssed and sated by the time you are near there. There are pastries to be had at the market. It is after all one stop shopping for anything you can shove down your gullet. You can always get an elegant full Dobos Torte at Gerbaud in the box with dainty string bow, just to be sure you will have one for the train.
Again: Standard tip in Hungary for ALL services is 10%. Don't leave a bad taste in your wake.
NOTE: I changed my Pickle Girl tip to 1,000Huf or less than 3 Pounds because there will be at least 10 mooches looking for a sample. That's less than 30 p per mooch. Well worth it.

Last edited:

Glenmutchkin

Don
That itinerary/menu is tempting me to skip Norway with its £10 glasses of wine (I think that is $15 in your funny money) and head straight for Budapest. Only team loyalty and the promise of free wifi by the Norwegian railco is keeping me on track.

Do hope that you can make it.

Yours aye, Glenmutchkin

Glenmutchkin

So we msde it to Lisbon, capital city number 23. Tonight we start the home run. Only one missed connection in 45. Don't believe what you read about showers on European trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.