• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Highwayman Service

Mollington St

To add to a discussion back in May 2023 ( its closed so i can not add it ) , i have just today come across the Handbill Flyer for the Service

Very Class 40 based , not just the photo but also the logo .

Hope that just rounds off the discussion and subject

See scans attached .

I have now scanned and added the item to my site over at www Transport Past Times

Attachments

• Scan_20240322 (12).png
    Scan_20240322 (12).png
    1 MB · Views: 145
  • Scan_20240322 (13).png
    Scan_20240322 (13).png
    468.4 KB · Views: 145
  • Scan_20240322 (14).png
    Scan_20240322 (14).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 145
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
To add to a discussion back in May 2023 ( its closed so i can not add it ).....
For information, old discussions can be reopened by clicking on the 'Report' icon lower left and giving the reason for the report as "Additional information to add to discussion. Could this be reopened?" or something similar. The Moderators may reopen the thread or may ask you to start a new one.

E27007

I never knew about this service! 6 hours from Newcastle to Finsbury Park via Durham Coast on Mk 1s hauled by a 40 for the equivalent of £30 in today's money.

The equivalent of running a lash up of 158s to London today. I would totally be on this!

https://mancunian1001.wordpress.com/2020/05/07/a-lost-train-to-london-the-highwayman/
I never rode on the Highwayman, I recall published information that Highwayman carriages had non-standard lighting to assist sleeping, possibly low-wattage blue bulbs?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I never rode on the Highwayman, I recall published information that Highwayman carriages had non-standard lighting to assist sleeping, possibly low-wattage blue bulbs?
It was a daytime service though?

jfollows

Established Member
They might have used a Class 1 headcode in the photo.
The Highwayman was Class 2, eg 2A55 (https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...n-long-distance-journeys.256157/#post-6455951). The picture is correct. 2N45 down.
3/5/71 to 30/4/72 timetable:
2N45 09:28 Finsbury Park to Newcastle, Potters Bar 09U41, Stevenage 09U58, Doncaster 12L02-12L15, Northallerton pass 13/19 (Newcastle arrive ?? 15:00)
2A55 09:15 Newcastle to Finsbury Park, Northallerton pass 10/54, Doncaster 11L59-12L20, Stevenage 14Da32, Potters Bar 14Da53, Finsbury Park arrive 15:07
via Sunderland presumably.
Class 2 but still locomotive-hauled
EDIT These were SX timings, SO in a post shortly below.

Last edited:

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Can remember seeing the northbound service on Saturday spotting trips to York back in the day. Memory suggests it was late afternoon/early evening and always a forty at the head, can’t recall ever seeing the southbound service though?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Can remember seeing the northbound service on Saturday spotting trips to York back in the day. Memory suggests it was late afternoon/early evening and always a forty at the head, can’t recall ever seeing the southbound service though?
Departure was from Finsbury Park at 0925 SX/1520 SO. From Newcastle 0915 SX/1435 SO.

jfollows

Established Member
From the 1971-72 timetable, on Saturdays it ran to different times (my previous quote was SX times):
2N45 15:00 Finsbury Park to Newcastle, Potters Bar 15U18, Stevenage 15U40, Doncaster 17L45/17L57 - 18L13, York pass 18/54
2A55 14:35 Newcastle-Finsbury Park, York pass 17/00, Doncaster 17L38-18L08/18L20, Stevenage 20Da17/20Da33, Potters Bar 20Da35/20Da58, Finsbury Park 20:49/21:12, later times 12/6-4/9, earlier times until 5/6 & from 11/9

On Moderation
Are you sure you're not thinking of the 1980s Nightrider service?

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Last edited:

Magdalia

Established Member
I recall published information that Highwayman carriages had non-standard lighting to assist sleeping, possibly low-wattage blue bulbs?
You are thinking of the "Nightrider", not the "Highwayman", which ran May 1983 to May 1988. Up to May 1986 this used First Class aircon coaches with subdued blue lighting (strip lighting not bulbs), but then switched to HST.

Helvellyn

Established Member
You are thinking of the "Nightrider", not the "Highwayman", which ran May 1983 to May 1988. Up to May 1986 this used First Class aircon coaches with subdued blue lighting (strip lighting not bulbs), but then switched to HST.
Yes, there were a few 'Nightider' services using SOs (Mark 2F FOs declassified and the separate headrest cushions removed). Travelled on one from Carlisle to Euston in December 1987.

Some Mark 2E and 2F TSOs were modified for use on overnight trains. Usually identifiable in the Platform 5 books of the time by 'n' to show they had modified lighting with a nighttime mode.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I was trying to recall the service name but forgot it was called Nightrider, which I too thought more likely, thanks to those who recalled it posting

A Nightrider promotional leaflet image here includes a timetable

and 2011 thread on them here I see

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
If I am remembering properly, Highwayman was a coach service set up to rival either the Stagecoach portion of the Nightrider train or Stagecoach itself after some almighty bust up at a senior level in Stagecoach? The people who at that point left Stagecoach being the ones who set up the rival company and they deliberately chose the name Highwayman to emphasise to Stagecoach what they were doing?

70014IronDuke

Established Member
If I am remembering properly, Highwayman was a coach service set up to rival either the Stagecoach portion of the Nightrider train or Stagecoach itself after some almighty bust up at a senior level in Stagecoach? The people who at that point left Stagecoach being the ones who set up the rival company and they deliberately chose the name Highwayman to emphasise to Stagecoach what they were doing?
Surely the Highwayman was an innovation of BR Eastern Region - it was not some outside entrepreneurial outfit who were ex-road coach people.

They had locos and old Mk 1s to spare, all perfectly serviceable and initiated the train to utilise these assets for the cost-conscious traveller. At least, that's how it was told to me by a friend who worked on BR in the Newcastle region.

I'm surprised they didn't stop it at Sunderland though (I had always assumed it had) - but perhaps they were afraid they'd lose premium fare passengers who'd otherwise be opting for the direct service.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I don't think the stagecoach operated seated cars added to the sleeper in late BR era were branded Highwayman or Nightrider

This would be what you had in mind Peter? pics, times and dates ran also on link

Stagecoach’s foray into the privatised railway had, however, begun some years earlier. On 6th May 1992 the government, through the Queen’s Speech, announced the privatisation of BR. Perth-based Stagecoach had been quick off the mark to test the waters of running a private passenger service on BR metals, to parallel its existing road coach operation. Having learnt of BR’s announcement in March 1992 that normal seating accommodation would be discontinued on the Euston to Aberdeen combined sleeper/Motorail/Royal Mail trains (meaning passengers could now only travel on the services if they booked sleeping berths), Stagecoach decided to step into the breach. The company leased six carriages from BR, and the proposal was to attach two of these to each sleeper train run by the latter between Euston and Aberdeen, to provide seated non-sleeping accommodation on the service.

The carriages selected by Stagecoach were BR Mk 2D vehicles from the pool of the InterCity business sector: Nos. 6201, 6202, 6210, 6224, 6228, and 6232. These were repainted into Stagecoach’s colours - a white background with large orange, red, and blue stripes - emblazoned with “Stagecoach Rail” in capital letters across their sides. The work was undertaken at Derby by BREL Ltd, which included laying new flooring and abolishing a W/C in each carriage. The new vehicles were officially launched at Derby on 7th May 1992.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I don't think the stagecoach operated seated cars added to the sleeper in late BR era were branded Highwayman or Nightrider

This would be what you had in mind Peter? pics, times and dates ran also on link
Yes, the Stagecoach liveried carriages on the Sleeper.

Highwayman was a rival Scottish coach company set up by one of the founders of Stagecoach after some almighty bust up at some point in the early 1980s.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Yes, the Stagecoach liveried carriages on the Sleeper.

Highwayman was a rival Scottish coach company set up by one of the founders of Stagecoach after some almighty bust up at some point in the early 1980s.
Thanks for clarifying Peter - that was not on my radar I must say - but then I claim no knowledge of scottish coach operations!

but having done a search wikipedia confirms your point

but it seems like some sad elements to the story
He ceased active involvement in the firm and sold his shareholding in Stagecoach in 1983 with the collapse of his marriage to Ann.[1] Robin founded Highwayman Coaches of Errol, Scotland the same year.