• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The last Dambuster Raid pilot Les Munro has died.

Status
Not open for further replies.

deltic1989

Established Member
I heard this morning that the last surviving 'Dambusters' pilot Squadron Leader John Leslie 'Les' Munro, died of a heart attack.
May this heroic man, rest in peace.
Thoughts with his family and friends at this very difficult time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
A true hero. Deepest condolences to his family and friends

RIP

Johnuk123

Established Member
RIP Les, he was a hero when being called a hero actually stood for something.

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
RIP.

There will be a heck of a party going on in the mess room in the sky tonight won't there? First time the whole crew have been together since the evening of May 16th 1943.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Sad news indeed.

Strictly speaking, Les Munro was the last Dambuster pilot, although he and his crew never actually made it to the Dams, their Lancaster was damaged by flak over Holland and they had to turn back. And then land on a grass airstrip with a 5ton bomb on board!

There are now only 2 surviving crew members who participated in the Dams raid; with George 'Johnny' Johnson the only Brit. He was a bomb aimer, and dropped his bomb on the Sorpe Dam, and although accurate it did not cause a breach of the dam.

He wrote a book a couple of years ago ("the last British Dambuster") about his life and experience during the war, which I thoroughly recommend.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
I'm sure he was and is a hero. There again, to be honest, when I approach the east coast of England in a comfortable jet at about 25,000 feet (on the glide path), i think anyone who climbed into a piston engined aeroplane, loaded with bombs (or cameras or parachutists) took off, flew 700 - 1,500 miles over enemy territory facing flak, night fighters and I don't know what, attempted to bomb, and flew back - only to do it again a night or two later - they were all heroes, to the last man.

TheEdge

Established Member
I'm sure he was and is a hero. There again, to be honest, when I approach the east coast of England in a comfortable jet at about 25,000 feet (on the glide path), i think anyone who climbed into a piston engined aeroplane, loaded with bombs (or cameras or parachutists) took off, flew 700 - 1,500 miles over enemy territory facing flak, night fighters and I don't know what, attempted to bomb, and flew back - only to do it again a night or two later - they were all heroes, to the last man.

Quite. Every time I hear RAF/USAAF crews being hailed as heroes and the bravest men in the war I do feel the Luftwaffe aircrews are done a disservice. Regardless of who they were fighting for they were fighting on the same terms as each other and were as brave as each other. I sometimes think there is an argument that at some points of the war perhaps one could say the Luftwaffe aircrews were braver. Two airman floating down towards Kent at 10,000ft under tarpaulin in 1940, the RAF chap will land, taken in, mug of tea and back to Biggin Hill in time for tea and medals. The German one is spending 10m floating towards an enemy state ready for shouting, interrogation and imprisonment...

But, that being said, every single one nationality notwithstanding was braver than most and a hero in their own right.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Sad news indeed.

Strictly speaking, Les Munro was the last Dambuster pilot, although he and his crew never actually made it to the Dams, their Lancaster was damaged by flak over Holland and they had to turn back. And then land on a grass airstrip with a 5ton bomb on board!

There are now only 2 surviving crew members who participated in the Dams raid; with George 'Johnny' Johnson the only Brit. He was a bomb aimer, and dropped his bomb on the Sorpe Dam, and although accurate it did not cause a breach of the dam.

He wrote a book a couple of years ago ("the last British Dambuster") about his life and experience during the war, which I thoroughly recommend.

You're quite right - I had overlooked those two. Who is the other survivor? Never seem to be able to find the name anywhere.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
It is very sad news. I guess with WWII now 70 years in the past (70th anniversary of VJ day in 10 days time) we are now at the point where we are now losing to old age the last of many very brave people (not just the Dambuster squadron, but most people who served during the 2nd World War) to whom we all owe a huge amount.

I hope 'Les' and all the other people who served so well won't be forgotten.

fowler9

Established Member
Long may he be remembered, and what a cracking Kiwi name! RIP. And as someone also mentioned remember the German pilots. In a different life were it not for the madness of the way the world works they would just be having a pint together, much like all of the other combatants.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Quite. Every time I hear RAF/USAAF crews being hailed as heroes and the bravest men in the war I do feel the Luftwaffe aircrews are done a disservice. Regardless of who they were fighting for they were fighting on the same terms as each other and were as brave as each other. I sometimes think there is an argument that at some points of the war perhaps one could say the Luftwaffe aircrews were braver. Two airman floating down towards Kent at 10,000ft under tarpaulin in 1940, the RAF chap will land, taken in, mug of tea and back to Biggin Hill in time for tea and medals. The German one is spending 10m floating towards an enemy state ready for shouting, interrogation and imprisonment...

But, that being said, every single one nationality notwithstanding was braver than most and a hero in their own right.

Well, actually, I was not including enemy crews in my original thinking. Not to say that I don't respect them on a professional level - I do - but the fact is that they were fighting to expand a vile, evil empire that happily enslaved, tortured and butchered even its own ethnic German citizens who so much as whispered opposition, let alone Jews, Gypsies, Slavs and others who happened to be in, or crossed its path.

I often wonder what I would have done, what decisions, I would have made had I been born somewhere in the German-speaking lands c 1918. Would I have been so brainwashed as to fight for or, worse still, support Hitler? Would I have just sat in the middle, keeping quiet, hoping to survive, or would I have had the moral sense, integrity and most of all, courage, to oppose Nazi rule - even in the smallest of ways?

(As an eg, my father-in-law was in an Austrian concentration camp 1944-45. He said in the mornings sometimes a local woman would cycle along the road in front of the column of prisoners going to work. She would drop apples on the road. Prisoners could pick apples off the ground to eat. Picking apples from the trees was a death offence. He always remembered this woman.)

On a professional level, yes, I respect those Luftwaffe crews who flew with great courage and bravery - especially on the eastern front under the most appalling conditions.

But I respect more those (very few) Luftwaffe crews who flew their planes to the UK and defected. That took enormous courage, since their families back in Germany would surely be punished as a result of their defections.

Last edited:

fowler9

Established Member
Well, actually, I was not including enemy crews in my original thinking. Not to say that I don't respect them on a professional level - I do - but the fact is that they were fighting to expand a vile, evil empire that happily enslaved, tortured and butchered even its own ethnic German citizens who so much as whispered opposition, let alone Jews, Gypsies, Slavs and others who happened to be in, or crossed its path.

I often wonder what I would have done, what decisions, I would have made had I been born somewhere in the German-speaking lands c 1918. Would I have been so brainwashed as to fight for or, worse still, support Hitler? Would I have just sat in the middle, keeping quiet, hoping to survive, or would I have had the moral sense, integrity and most of all, courage, to oppose Nazi rule - even in the smallest of ways?

(As an eg, my father-in-law was in an Austrian concentration camp 1944-45. He said in the mornings sometimes a local woman would cycle along the road in front of the column of prisoners going to work. She would drop apples on the road. Prisoners could pick apples off the ground to eat. Picking apples from the trees was a death offence. He always remembered this woman.)

On a professional level, yes, I respect those Luftwaffe crews who flew with great courage and bravery - especially on the eastern front under the most appalling conditions.

But I respect more those (very few) Luftwaffe crews who flew their planes to the UK and defected. That took enormous courage, since their families back in Germany would surely be punished as a result of their defections.

Read "Alone in Berlin" by Hans Fallada. Based on a true story. Apologies as this is unrelated to airmen but it gives an interesting insight in to what it may have been like in Germany at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.