• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Leamside line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ReverendFozz

A tax on transport is an interesting idea, but will people of Sunderland be happy paying for something that is not coming there way, same goes for other parts of Tyneside and Southern Northumberland.

As for County Durham, why should all of Co. Durham taxpayers stump up for something 95% wont benefit from, after all Co. Durham would only gain 2 or 3 stations.

I am personally in agreement with a tax on new transport links, but I guess i am part of significant minority

PinzaC55

We are not the United States and where several authorities will benefit from something like this, there should be a way to bang their heads together and get them to cooperate.

Hi , just joined the forum today after being a site visitor for over a year. I used to photograph the diverted sunday traffic on this line (once travelling from Newcastle to Darlington via Penshaw pulled by a class 47 and the track felt very smooth) My favorite time was when they closed the East Coast Main Line through Durham during electrification and sent everything through Leamside and i even managed to record on a cassette the sound of the Fence Houses level crossing gates and the 'snort' of a class 37 starting off near the signal box. Happy memories! I've kept a eye on the line since 1991 and walked it from the A690 bridge at the Ramside to as far as Washington over the years watching it deteriorate due to thieves and vandals.
I've just been for a walk over the Victoria Viaduct after being tipped off by a mate last week who spotted workers in orange jackets working on the bridge. From what i have seen they have drilled about a dozen boreholes through the track ballast and pushed black pipes down into these holes on the eastern side of the trackbed also marking the area with yellow paint and also painting 2 sleepers in the centre of the bridge orange. I was just wondering if anyone knew if something was up!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.