• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Modern Tramway Journal in the mid-20th century. ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Modern Tramway‘ was the title of the journal of the Light Railway Transport League.

I picked up a small batch of copies of The Modern Tramway Journal which included volumes from the 1950s, 1960s and 1980s and have begun reading through them. The first Journal that I have is dated 15th July 1953. At the time of writing it is almost 70 years old.

Volume 16 No. 187 of July 1953 starts with an item entitled, “Tramways and the Press.” Starting with a specific instance of dubious reporting by the national dailies about tram parts being sent to Egypt, the article bemoans the way that tramways were increasingly being seen by the public, led by the press, as an outmoded form of transport.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rail Ranger

Modern Tramway is still published. It is now known as "Tramways and Urban Transit".

I guessed that it might be published still in some form. I did not know what it was called. I am enjoying working through the old copies.

A second extract from The Modern Tramway Journal in 1953. .......

The Modern Tramway Journal from August 1953. ...

The editorial focussed on public attitudes to the final replacement of London's trams. ....

The Modern Tramway again. ...

Still in 1953. ... August of that year.

This is a note about a visit to Ireland by members of the Light Railway Transport League in June 1953.

Last edited:
A fifth look at the Journal of the Light Railway Transport League in the mid-1950s. ....

The Modern Tramway Journal of April
1954 took issue with the interpretation of a Road Research Laboratory Report by the London Transport Executive. The press release from the LTE was slanted in favour of decisions made about the closure of the tramway services in the capital ....

The Modern Tramway again. .....

Articulated trams are relatively normal in today's world. There was a time when this was not the case. Much of Europe, save for the Italians, preferred to create tram trains from individual units and trailers. This was seen as being a more flexible policy.

Stuttgart decided to to try out articulated vehicles in the 1950s.

The Modern Tramway again. .....

In January 1957 the Journal reported on the decision by the Manx Government to take over the Manx Electric Tramway. ......

Last edited:

'The Modern Tramway’ – Part 8 – Leeds City Tramways, 1956. …​

The Modern Tramway Journal in February 1957 carried an article about the tramways of Leeds. The data for the article was collated by A.K. Terry and the article was written by J.H. Price.

The Suez crisis brought a temporary halt to a number of things within the UK economy. One of these was the planned scrapping of the tram routes and tramcars in Leeds. That pause provided the opportunity for the Light Railway Transport League to compile a map, fleet list and list of services for the city. ...

341o2

Established Member
The organisation is now known as the Light Rail Transit Association, and was founded in 1937 by three individuals objecting to London's tram conversion programme. In the 1930's the tram was seen to be obsolete, and trolleybuses were the latest trend. Of the UK's tram system, some 40 were in the process of withdrawing their trams, and only a few were showing any signs of modernising their systems, such as Blackpool, Sunderland, and Glasgow.

Quote from the League's prospectus -
To show transport in a proper perspective in which no type of vehicle is without its proper place…[and]…to foster interest in the light railway; and to help it to attain its rightful place, which it can only do if there is progressive development and a willingness on the part of transport authorities to adapt it to modern conditions.

https://www.lrta.org/about-lrta/history/

I have several issues, mainly in the mid to late 70's, when the League had grown and was reporting on the worldwide situation. One series I would recommend is Calcutta's trams, by TV Runnacles, which covers the whole aspect of transport in the city, including former light railways. A city where traffic is everything from American limousines to rickshaws, bullock carts, and coolie carts

The series on Calcutta sounds fascinating!

The Modern Tramway – Part 9 – More About Accidents (in London)​

‘The Modern Tramway’ in March 1957 (Volume 20, No. 231) carried a follow-up article [1] to that carried by the Journal in April 1954. The original article is covered earlier in this thread.

‘The Modern Tramway’ – April 1957 – “Down the ‘Goldmine'”​

The Modern Tramway Journal of April 1957 included a nostalgic look at one of the Glasgow tram network’s successes. An ‘out-boundary’ route, No. 28, which at one time was part of the longest tram route in the UK, almost 23 miles in length. End to end it was a 2 hour tram journey. At that time, the early 1930s, the route from Renfrew Ferry to Milngavie was numbered 14. “In 1934 it was cut at Spiersbridge and renumbered 28, and on 3rd April 1949, the Glenfield – Cross Stobs section was closed.” The truncated line (No. 28) ran from Renfrew Ferry to Glenfield – a distance of 5.24 miles.

The Modern Tramway, May 1957 – Rotterdam’s Trams in the 1950s​

This short article could be entitled, ‘The Modern Tramway takes on the Manchester Guardian‘. In. Its May 1957 journal the Light Railway Transport League asks whether its readers had read the Manchester Guardian on 22nd January. The featured image shows trams in Rotterdam in May 1957.

In an article entitled ‘A Twisted Tale’, The Modern Tramway Journal was surprised to see the Manchester Guardian being taken in by the spirit of the current age which was decidedly anti-tram!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Modern Tramway is still published. It is now known as "Tramways and Urban Transit".
I've had a subscription for the past twenty years or so and, before that, either bought issues at a newsagent or had them order it in for me. I've never contributed to it in any way or attended events/conferences but I regard it as worth supporting as long as I am able to. Not too many of us can now recall first generation London trams, but I am one such though, regrettably, not until the Kingsway Subway and Tram Station were no more.

The ones that I picked up were available at a model railway exhibition at Ludlow Race Course. I have been enjoying reading through them. The next one's come from the 1960s when Ian Allen had partnered with the Light Railway Transport League to produce the magazine and the 'The' had been dropped from the title. ... More to follow in due course.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Not too many of us can now recall first generation London trams, but I am one such though, regrettably, not until the Kingsway Subway and Tram Station were no more.
Have you been on the Hidden London tour of the Kingsway tunnel and tram station?

In the 1950s, a tram Glasgow purchased some years before, a 'one-off', unidirectional double decker car which it numbered 1005 and which was sometimes known as the 'Blue Devil' for its unconventional three tone blue colour scheme, was put forward by the LIght Railway Transport League as an option for trails that the League hoped might happen in London.

The final three years of the historic tram network in London ... and Operation Tramaway. ...

Status
Not open for further replies.