• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

the most over the top restrictions introduced

Status
Not open for further replies.

adc82140

Established Member
I'm sure rescue breaths during CPR became optional years ago.
Correct. Mouth to mouth is utterly pointless. You are just inflating the lungs with CO2. Also if you're on your own doing CPR it distracts from the important task of regular chest compression. When we do our Immediate Life Support training we are specifically told not to do rescue breaths, and only attempt to ventilate if you have access to a the right equipment. I know that some Basic Life Support trainer still train people in how to do mouth to mouth. I'm not entirely sure why.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotrail158713

Established Member
Medics are now apparently recommending wearing masks outdoors at all times - albeit it’s from my local rag so not the most reasonable source. More concerning was the number of people who didn’t have an issue with it reading through comments on the newspapers Facebook post.
This really would be the final straw for me, as it is just not necessary, from whatever angle you look at it. I generally comply with masks where required just now, but don’t if on an empty bus or train, however it’s safe to say this would get zero compliance full stop. We’ve just been told over Christmas that it was important to have open windows to let fresh air in - yet this supposedly fresh air is actually highly dangerous and we must now get masked up?
Something doesn’t add up...

Every precaution must now be taken to minimise transmission of coronavirus, including telling the public to wear face-covering outdoors, medical leaders have said.

Professor Mike Griffin, president of the Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh, said it “would be crazy” not to take every possible step to reduce infections during winter given the added risk of a faster-spreading variant, as well as the prospect of life-saving vaccinations in the near future.

Prof Griffin said this should include wearing facemasks in public spaces outdoors as well as indoors, and delaying the return of university students to campuses in January after halls of residence were associated with a spike in cases at the end of summer.

He said: “I think this new variant of Covid has changed our thinking on all of this. Above all, we wanted schools to continue - it was crucial for children’s development and education, and university education as well.

“However, the prospect of these vaccines becoming available to mean we have the potential to get rid of this disease.

“It would be crazy not to take every possible opportunity of minimising transmission during January.”

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Medics are now apparently recommending wearing masks outdoors at all times - albeit it’s from my local rag so not the most reasonable source. More concerning was the number of people who didn’t have an issue with it reading through comments on the newspapers Facebook post.
This really would be the final straw for me, as it is just not necessary, from whatever angle you look at it. I generally comply with masks where required just now, but don’t if on an empty bus or train, however it’s safe to say this would get zero compliance full stop. We’ve just been told over Christmas that it was important to have open windows to let fresh air in - yet this supposedly fresh air is actually highly dangerous and we must now get masked up?

Oh dear, this is exactly the sort of thing I can imagine Sturgeon going along with. At least it should only last a month or two (we can hope!)

Skimpot flyer

Established Member

I will never comply with outdoors masks. No way.

kez19

Established Member
Oh dear, this is exactly the sort of thing I can imagine Sturgeon going along with. At least it should only last a month or two (we can hope!)

Yet it’s strange she said that in one of her briefings as to encourage it as much as possible (I did quote it back in one of the threads)

I see the fear factor has been brought into it again...

I’m the same I rather walk out in the open mask off to breathe in air than keep the mask on.

I guess this will be added to next to be on the “fine” list (not wearing a mask outside in areas)

kez19

Established Member

Either something doesn’t add up or it’s just all these people are clueless but would rather ramp up more fear into the public (just wait on karma).

Cdd89

Established Member

Mandating outdoor masks in the U.K. could well be counterproductive, as people will declare themselves to be exempt - and that includes in higher risk contexts that are hundreds of times riskier than outdoor spread.

I still think it will happen though, depressingly. I keep seeing calls for it on social media and it’s one of (very few) things the government can still do to be seen to “tighten the rules” and “get tough on the virus” - e.g. as part of a theoretical Tier 5.

My finger in the air guess is they would get outdoor compliance of 80% or so, with a corresponding downward hit to indoor compliance.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Scottish Government advice states "Whilst it is not compulsory to wear a face covering outdoors it is recommended in crowded situations where physical distancing is not always possible, such as at the school gate or at the entrance to a building. In such circumstances you are expected to wear a face covering." (https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-public-use-of-face-coverings/)

If they are mandated outdoors I will not be complying as my local high street, park or countryside path is hardly a "crowded situation", unless sufficient evidence comes to light that they may actually be useful, which I highly doubt.

If medics have got time to pander to local newspapers about evidence-less claims then I question whether the NHS is actually so close to breaking point that we are told almost daily.

Last edited:

gaillark

Don't believe that.
With the first lockdown it was widely advertised as a three weeks and ended up more than 3 months.

Scotrail12

How are people supposed to do outdoor exercise with face nappies?

No compliance from me on that one.

kez19

Established Member
Scottish Government advice states "Whilst it is not compulsory to wear a face covering outdoors it is recommended in crowded situations where physical distancing is not always possible, such as at the school gate or at the entrance to a building. In such circumstances you are expected to wear a face covering." (https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-public-use-of-face-coverings/)

If they are mandated outdoors I will not be complying as my local high street, park or countryside path is hardly a "crowded situation", unless sufficient evidence comes to light that they may actually be useful, which I highly doubt.

If medics have got time to pander to local newspapers about evidence-less claims then I question whether the NHS is actually so close to breaking point that we are told almost daily.

Not at you personally

So they expect us in a blind panic if we are in crowded places - mask up?, Again I ask what did we do pre-COVID in situations like this? It sounds more like as if the government(s) want people to run a gauntlet in these situations!

Don't believe that.
With the first lockdown it was widely advertised as a three weeks and ended up more than 3 months.

Yet she was slower even opening the gyms!

Peter0124

Established Member

What about glasses? They just mist almost everytime whenever I put them over the mask (My glasses are somewhat broken seeing as they are about 2 years old and didn't get a replacement, so I have to get them a certain way over the mask which is a pain) meaning whenever I am on a train I have to take them off most times. This would mean walking outside without glasses on which is very unsafe, or just dealing with mist everytime I breathe.

_toommm_

Established Member
What about glasses? They just mist almost everytime whenever I put them over the mask (My glasses are somewhat broken seeing as they are about 2 years old and didn't get a replacement, so I have to get them a certain way over the mask which is a pain) meaning whenever I am on a train I have to take them off most times. This would mean walking outside without glasses on which is very unsafe, or just dealing with mist everytime I breathe.

If you use one of the blue medical-style ones, bend the mask in half before putting it on so as to sculpt the nose wire, then bend that at a right angle so it sits flush on your face.

I do this and can wear them for 12 hour shifts without any fogging up.

mawallace

Friend of mine has developed a persistent cough - went to the doctors and then the hospital. After tests it was concluded that it was due to the fact that she having to wear a mask so much - and she has developed an health issue. Consultant says he is seeing 'several' of these cases coming through.

Local town - this morning - there was an old age pensioner walking through the town wearing a mask at 8 am - no one else where there (I was in the car) - you wonder why??

brad465

Established Member
An outbreak of Covid at Man City has seen the game against Everton postponed:

Manchester City's Premier League match at Everton on Monday has been postponed four hours before kick-off because of an outbreak of coronavirus at the club.

The latest tests have returned more positive results, in addition to those of Gabriel Jesus, Kyle Walker and two staff members revealed on 25 December.
The City training ground will be closed for an "indeterminate period".

City cited "a risk the virus could spread" among the squad with the "security of the bubble compromised".

A statement added: "After the latest round of Covid-19 testing, the club returned a number of positive cases, in addition to the four already reported on Christmas Day.

"Based on strong medical advice the Premier League, in consultation with both clubs, have decided to postpone the fixture."

The Premier League said the rise in cases at City "created uncertainty" and that the competition's board "received medical advice that the match should be postponed".

Whether this is over the top is debatable, but it's certainly a measure that can't be allowed to happen too much and/or is unsustainable long term.

kez19

Established Member

Whether this is over the top is debatable, but it's certainly a measure that can't be allowed to happen too much and/or is unsustainable long term.

I wonder how long before we hear that “bubbles” don’t or no longer work?

Domh245

Established Member
I wonder how long before we hear that “bubbles” don’t or no longer work?

"bubbles" do work, case in point being F1 which despite multiple positive tests never had anything show-stopping. Even with 3 drivers testing positive we didn't see this spread around their mechanics, engineers, or other drivers; the closest thing to a major outbreak was a number of mechanics in one team testing positive, but even that was contained. They will however only work as well as they have been set up, and as well as they are observed

kez19

Established Member
"bubbles" do work, case in point being F1 which despite multiple positive tests never had anything show-stopping. Even with 3 drivers testing positive we didn't see this spread around their mechanics, engineers, or other drivers; the closest thing to a major outbreak was a number of mechanics in one team testing positive, but even that was contained. They will however only work as well as they have been set up, and as well as they are observed

What I said was more of the media standpoint, this will be the next spin to bring in fear, next they’ll be cancelling games.

PeterY

Established Member
How are people supposed to do outdoor exercise with face nappies?

No compliance from me on that one.
No compliance from me neither.

I do a lot of walking, and if I'm on my own, I walk at just under 4mph, I won't be wearing my face nappy .

My female friend, I've done a lot for her since the pandemic started, she rarely leaves her house and now wants me to wear a face nappy and gloves, if I go in. I've basically said "up yours". She'll need me before I need her. She did cut my hair though with clippers, so in the near future, I'm going to have to attempt doing it myself. I won't be posting a photo :lol: :lol:

I know the rule about dancing has been spoken about before but apparently a bar could lose their license because people were dancing (and not social distancing, although that isn't even in law)

A city bar and entertainment venue could be set to lose its premises licence after being accused of breaking Covid-19 regulations the night before the second national lockdown.

Norwich City Council has applied to review the premises licence of Bedfords, on Old Post Office Yard in Norwich, with a hearing over it set to be heard early next year.

It comes following an incident on Wednesday, November 4, the final day pubs and restaurants could trade ahead of the second national lockdown.

In papers submitted with the review application, it is alleged that the venue allowed people to dance and not observe social distancing as it welcomed its final pre-lockdown customers.

In the application, Richard Divey, public protection officer at City Hall, wrote the reason for the review was that "the premises licence holder failed to comply with The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) Regulations 2020 by allowing dancing and no social distancing on the evening of November 4, 2020, thus committing an offence".

He added: "The owner admits to being present and not taking action to prevent this breach gives cause for concern that the owner may not be able to control his premises."

The review means it will be up to a panel of councillors on a licensing sub-committee to decide whether to revoke the venue's licence, allow it to continue as normal, or impose further restrictions on the venue.

Bikeman78

Established Member

Might as well wear a hat that says "Sod off Baldrick;" it will have the same effect as a mask outdoors! I've been for a walk in the local forest for the past three days. Hundreds of other people about. Number of masks: zero.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

Was Kyle Walker the culprit who spread it, I wonder. He's been found out as a COVIDIOT three times that I recollect during the earlier wave. Going here and there to meet up with people and mixing..

Bantamzen

Established Member

Don't worry, it won't be long before some expert claims that the virus can be spread by the four winds for miles and so you should wear your mask at all times, indoor and out.

Don't worry, it won't be long before some expert claims that the virus can be spread by the four winds for miles and so you should wear your mask at all times, indoor and out.
The longest it has found to be still infectious carried by liquid droplets suspended in air was three hours. Obviously the further it travels the greater the dispersal and less the chance of somebody getting infected.

Bantamzen

Established Member
The longest it has found to be still infectious carried by liquid droplets suspended in air was three hours. Obviously the further it travels the greater the dispersal and less the chance of somebody getting infected.
Indoors or outdoors? I ask because in my part of the world the air tends to move about a fair bit outdoors.

Butts

Veteran Member

I was in Italy in October where outdoor mask wearing was compulsory.

Amazing how many extra fags I got through as you could remove them for a quick B&H (other brands are available !!)

MikeWM

Established Member
Medics are now apparently recommending wearing masks outdoors at all times...

Anyone doubting the total lack of efficacy of masks - indoors, outdoors, anywhere - and indeed any of these other stupid restrictions, should spend a few minutes looking at @ianmSC on Twitter. Lots and lots and lots of graphs showing how utterly ineffective it all is.

Alex C.

Anyone doubting the total lack of efficacy of masks - indoors, outdoors, anywhere - and indeed any of these other stupid restrictions, should spend a few minutes looking at @ianmSC on Twitter. Lots and lots and lots of graphs showing how utterly ineffective it all is.
How can we know that's what it is? I took a look and found a load of graphs of cases plotted against mask restrictions - but none of these take into account everything else that has happened in that time
  • Reopening of more sectors of the economy (retail, hospitality)
  • Eat out to help out
  • Seasonality (clearly the biggest influence)
  • Schools reopening
  • Universities returning
  • Return to the office (followed by wait, don't go back to the office)
  • Increased testing capacity
Amongst many other measures. I'm not sure how you can look at any graph like the ones shown and say that clearly masks don't work. I don't think there's really any scientific way of proving that poorly fitted masks work or don't work because of all the background variables which can't be controlled. If they do work, the likelihood is they have a minimal impact on transmission (but this could still be valuable), and the only way we would know is if we could compare an identical population in an identical environment with every other factor remaining the same which to me seems impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.