• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The mystery of the model railway unboxing video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me, or does anyone else have absolutely no comprehension of why people post these 'unboxing' videos of model railway items on YouTube?

I genuinely don't see what purpose they serve. Anyone who is into model railways surely knows how to take things out of a box? The manufacturer's web site will detail the contents and, if people are looking for balanced reviews, surely the model railway press or one of the internet forums is where they will head for?

I'm just genuinely baffled why people make them.

Anyone got any inside info that can explain what purpose they serve?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
It's just a continuation of what has become a huge craze, unboxing anything has been massive on Youtube for several years now and people are genuinely getting rich from it. I don't comprehend it either though.

Ah, so not serving any real purpose, just jumping on yet another social media-style copyist bandwagon. Says a lot. Thanks.

jon0844

Veteran Member
But people enjoy watching. For my sons, I've recorded some (phones) and thousands have watched.

I've also watched a fair few before buying something. It's nice to see how things come and I've also downloaded PDF manuals for things I'm yet to buy.

Go watch unbox therapy to see someone making a mint from them.

Darandio

Established Member
I've considered it myself, videoing whilst unboxing McDonalds, particularly the Big Mac from our local restaurant. Is this the one that finally looks like the picture? Is it leaning to the left or right? Is most of the sauce and salad hanging out of the side? Is it actually all there or is the bottom of the bun missing yet again?

Might catch on.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Don't joke; it might.

Although someone has probably already done it!

jon0844

Veteran Member
Take the kid who reviewed chicken shops and got his own TV show...

Or the 7 year old worth literally millions for unboxing (unwrapping) gifts he's given by toy companies to get around rules on advertising to children.

Another way to make money it seems is to stream yourself playing games and I've even noticed people playing train simulators (to get back on topic) with huge numbers of subscribers.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member

Or the 7 year old worth literally millions for unboxing (unwrapping) gifts he's given by toy companies to get around rules on advertising to children.

Another way to make money it seems is to stream yourself playing games and I've even noticed people playing train simulators (to get back on topic) with huge numbers of subscribers.

I've seen a number of railway YouTubers include train sim videos on their channels but none of them have what I would call a huge number of subscribers, typically in the hundreds or low thousands. Nothing like the millions subscribed to the "big" names.

How many are there in each of these genres who have 'huge numbers' of subscribers, though? Single figures, perhaps low double figures? What's that as a percentage of people who think it's an easy way to make a buck?
I've seen a number of railway YouTubers include train sim videos on their channels but none of them have what I would call a huge number of subscribers, typically in the hundreds or low thousands. Nothing like the millions subscribed to the "big" names.
Indeed. It's like musicians - for the tiny, tiny number who manage to make money at it, there are many thousands - probably hundreds of thousands - who never make a penny. And there are an awful lot of those whose efforts are, to be honest, really substandard. The saying about wheat and chaff springs readily to mind.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Or course it's only a minority, but some will make it. And if you've got a niche then companies may pay you and Google may promote you.

My experience has been that many videos that has a lot of work put in don't do as well as some silly video recorded with no thought at all.

A ropey hands on at a show versus a scripted video done in a studio. Sure, the studio ones usually do better but not always! Sometimes being first is all it takes, but usually it's about what has shareability. Get on reddit or Facebook via some dodgy channel that promotes viral content, and you're made.

It's certainly a gamble but I think anyone can do it and stand a good chance if they're willing.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I should've posted a video of me throwing all the boxes away years ago and now regretting it as I'm trying to sell the stuff on eBay. :lol:

AM9

Veteran Member
Those videos may be useful for when you want to repack faulty/unwanted items for a refund.

AnthonyRail

Established Member
I was bored so was going do a “trying McDonald’s chicken big tasty “ for first time video but having checked you tube loads have already done it.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
Everyone should maintain a good work life balance to have spare time. But it's then up to you to decide what to do with it!

Established Member
Is it just me, or does anyone else have absolutely no comprehension of why people post these 'unboxing' videos of model railway items on YouTube?

I genuinely don't see what purpose they serve. Anyone who is into model railways surely knows how to take things out of a box? The manufacturer's web site will detail the contents and, if people are looking for balanced reviews, surely the model railway press or one of the internet forums is where they will head for?

I'm just genuinely baffled why people make them.

Anyone got any inside info that can explain what purpose they serve?
Its more a matter of opinion I think and sometimes these can come in very useful in deciding if you want the product or not. One set of videos that I found good was Intercity82 one of the 221 which had the same problems as me with the bogies derailing of corners in which he then showed how to solve the problem by loosening them up a bit.

trash80

Established Member
I agree with the above, when i bought the Bachmann 4-CEP a few years ago it was watching an "unboxing" video to see what it really looked like compared to catalogue/website photos that was the final factor in me deciding to get it.

whhistle

On Moderation
I see the appeal but it really depends on a few factors.

A review-based video that puts the loco/whatever through a bit of testing, shows the good and bad, great.
A purely unboxing video? Boring!

I watched an unboxing video of a Pannier tank once.
The user said someone (the owner) sent it to them to unbox and test as the owner was going on holiday! One of the only times I have felt the need to genuinely use "WTF"?! You spend £80-£100 on a model loco, then send it to someone else to use first?!

But if it's something very old, like a sealed board game from the 1980s or before, then perhaps some video showing the unboxing for prosperity would be welcome.

Everyone should maintain a good work life balance to have spare time. But it's then up to you to decide what to do with it!
The operative word being 'should'. Interestingly, nobody I know who has used the phrase 'work life balance' has ever tried running their own business!

One set of videos that I found good was Intercity82 one of the 221 which had the same problems as me with the bogies derailing of corners in which he then showed how to solve the problem by loosening them up a bit.
But that's not an 'unboxing' video, is it? That's a 'here's how to fix something' video, which I think is useful. It's the 'This has just been delivered and I'm going to take it out of its box and, oooh look, isn't it pretty?' videos that I don't see the point of.

jon0844

Veteran Member
The operative word being 'should'. Interestingly, nobody I know who has used the phrase 'work life balance' has ever tried running their own business!

I ran a business for ten years. Very stressful. Quite profitable I'll admit, but there was very little life besides the work.

Established Member
But that's not an 'unboxing' video, is it? That's a 'here's how to fix something' video, which I think is useful. It's the 'This has just been delivered and I'm going to take it out of its box and, oooh look, isn't it pretty?' videos that I don't see the point of.
Its was a 3 part which started of as a opening box, look at train video which ended up as a fix it video at the end after the first run in. I was just trying to show how one of these videos can turn out to be useful in other ways than just showing the model and possibly running it.

Status
Not open for further replies.