• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Name First...

Status
Not open for further replies.

trickyvegas

Seems to cause confusing with the public...

So far today at work I've heard them referred to as.

First Direct (no that's a bank)
First Choice (that's a holiday company)
First National

First National was a mortgage lender, now rebranded as GE Money.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

emoaconr

Valley Lines is a blindingly obvious one.

Even ATW staff refer to "Valley Lines" in their announcements:

"We're now approaching Cardiff Queen Street ... please change here for all Valley Lines services"

John55

Valley Lines is a blindingly obvious one.

Even ATW staff refer to "Valley Lines" in their announcements:

"We're now approaching Cardiff Queen Street ... please change here for all Valley Lines services"

The ATW timetable does call them the Valleys (& Cardiff) Routes so it seems quite appropriate

Sloppyjag

Back in the mid 80's I had the opportunity to work on a Rail Safety video which was introduced by Mark McManus (better known as DCI Jim Taggart.) He insisted on calling ScotRail "ScotchRail" throughout the filming. Although, I think he may have had a couple of scotches beforehand. :s

tsr

Established Member
Back in the mid 80's I had the opportunity to work on a Rail Safety video which was introduced by Mark McManus (better known as DCI Jim Taggart.) He insisted on calling ScotRail "ScotchRail" throughout the filming. Although, I think he may have had a couple of scotches beforehand. :s

The name "Scotch Rail" really sums it up perfectly - a double entendre of both "a Scottish railway" and "a railway that is sometimes but not always likely to be making things fall over and go wrong"... unlike "First Capital Connect", which, as is often pointed out, is often slower than everyone else, and doesn't do a particularly fine job of connecting London.

Status
Not open for further replies.