• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Northern Briton - 28/9/19 - Stuck at Doncaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

malc-c

Seems 90020 filed this morning, limping into Doncaster 70 minutes late. - At the time of posting (13:30) the carriages are still there awaiting the coupling of Tornado....

My sympathies to anyone stuck on the train.....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Edders23

wouldn't be the first rail tour to get into difficulties .........or the last

philjo

Established Member
I was on this tour.
The 90 had problems releasing its brakes. So it was unable to move out of the way to allow Tornado to couple to the coaches. Tornado was used to move the 90 and dump it in a parallel siding. Though this required a 6 part move until Tornado was able to couple to the coaches.
So left Doncaster 2 hours late but Tornado gained back about 25 minutes of this by Carlisle.

On the way back the train was held north of Doncaster for about an hour as the line in front was blocked by a failed ballast cleaning train - apparently this was almost 1 mile long so it took a while to for the brakes at the rear to be checked after the rescue loco had coupled to it.
I see it lost more time after Stevenage and arrived at Kings Cross at 0134 - was Kings Cross still open then, as I think the last train would have left by then?

malc-c

Oh my.... I take it you didn't do the final leg to Kings Cross given your comments at the end. I wonder how people managed getting home, or if they could claim for overnight stays in hotels from the tour operator ?

trebor79

Established Member
Oh my.... I take it you didn't do the final leg to Kings Cross given your comments at the end. I wonder how people managed getting home, or if they could claim for overnight stays in hotels from the tour operator ?

Doubt they'd be able to claim anything. The terms and conditions are usually very clear that they will get you back to your starting station (where the rail tour picked you up, not necessarily where you started your journey). Sometimes you will get a fairly insignificantly valued voucher for a future tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.