• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"the Oban Sleeper"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Waiting in some far corner of the country for a 37
Holland on Rail said:
Not wearing high visability cloths is realy the most stupid thing you can do when you want to go in the tracks... wich is forbidden!!! Always wear a yellow or orange vest.... and ask a member of staff to guide you.

Those guys are realy as stupid as the arse of a pig.

As this is the middle of nowhere no one cares less where you go...

Met Driver

Established Member
86242 said:
As this is the middle of nowhere no one cares less where you go...
You'd have to be very foolish to assume that. The driver of the 37 actually blew his horn at one stage due to a large number of 'enthusiasts' crossing directly in front of the loco, right in the path of the unit which was soon to arrive from Oban.

Had they simply walked to the other end of the station and use the foot crossing, they could've walked up the other platform and take a shot similar to this, perfectly legally.

There's been occasions when I have passed the signage in order to get a shot, but I would NEVER set foot on the trackbed for the same purpose.

richa2002

Established Member
This is what gives enthusiasts a bad name. Why can't some of them just accept that they have no god given right to break the rules of the railway.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Some good shots there metcam!

Regarding the line crossers, I was disgusted (d-i-s-g-u-s-t-e-d) people could be so ignorant. We all crossed the line the legal way, as far as I could see. The horn all of a sudden did surprise me, looking to see what was going on a group of 4 idiots passing RIGHT by the front of the loco. What were they thinking, there could have been a serious incident!

The guy in the seated part was no better, as one guy suddenly appeared from behind feltham2104 and I, yelling out the window to someone on the other platform 'Don't take it personally. but SHAVE IT!'. Who he was yelling it, we didn't know. The 156 was passing by us at this point, the driver of it looked appalled. As did I. I had wanted to comment to him back, but I didn't fancy a row with a potentially drunken tractor basher. He gave me perfect reason to hate 37 followers, they are, in general (the one at Cardiff was not much better, yelling at anyone who got close to his long shot of the 37, taking about 20 shots of it :roll:), miserable, drunken idiots. The one on the 156 was the only exception I've ever seen, I commend him for being the exception to the rule. But then it happens with all loco-only bashers, whether they follow 37s, 47s, 57s, 59s, whatever. Suppose the people at Edinburgh must have thought the same as me, but I warned the group that I'd suffer a personality change when it came to the HST...But I didn't potentially cause a huge accident.

On a less negative note, glad to see you got your fotopic updated, they are good shots. Now to get mine done soon, maybe tomorrow evening.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That is extremely dangerous. I'd take some photos, arrange for the police to meet them as soon as possible. If not, I'd at least take the photos to the police and report the trespassers if they did it again. I'd certainly shout down to them to get off the line! How are they to know a 156 won't come round the next bend at 40mph? NO chance of survival for them, no chance of stopping for the driver, equalling a big mess, incident and line closure for at least the rest of the day, with probably TSRs and drivers being warned to go slower around the site of the incident. Then of course there's those who are on the train, who'd have to be de-trained and moved on somehow, bit difficult in the middle of nowhere. Don't forget the poor souls who'd have to pick the flesh off the coupler, unit's curves, track and lineside, as well as councelling for the poor driver, who'd probably want to quit driving forever after unintentionally ending at least one life.

Hopefully my point is obvious, but just in case this, and the hundreds of posters all over the network don't make it obvious enough:

STAY OFF THE RAILWAY! If you go on it, you are TREPASSING, which is ILLEGAL. If caught, you'd end up with a criminal record if nothing else. Of course you COULD end up dead, splattered across the line and train. In which case, you'd damn well deserve it.

I can not, and will NOT, condone crossing the line illegally for any purpose. Wouldn't you rather be alive with a good shot rather than dead with a messed-up shot and several lives affected? I know I'd rather be alive! There's no shot worth taking such a risk for. Not one.

Once again, STAY OFF THE RAILWAY! What other advice will you listen to?

richa2002

Established Member
Well back in the '60s where everything was done with common sense in mind, 'tresspassing' wasn't really an issue. What I would like to know is if there were fewer deaths caused by tresspass in 2005 than there was in 1965 ? With all this metal sercurity fencing going up on nearly every mile of our rail, is it really doing anything to prevent tresspass. For me, the fact there is fencing encourages yobs to go over them to show they have 'beaten' the authorities. If the railways are fenced off, then why aren't the roads ? :?

Met Driver

Established Member
Back in the '60s, people probably had more sense than to walk out into the path of an approaching train to take a photograph. Nowadays, some people clearly don't have as much sense and think it's completely acceptable to do so. If anything, it's the ends of platforms which need fencing off as well!

metrocammel

86242 said:
As a matter of fact I have even seen walkers use the WHL as a public footpath! It is the middle of nowhere no-one cares less...

Part of that may be correct, but those walkers are foolish idiots as well. If someone in authority saw them, they would be in serious trouble. The morons in my photograph has their backs turned, standing in the cess, (well near enough in the 4-foot) and less than a couple of minutes later, a 156, which arent noted for being particularly loud, came, OK slowly, but still it is foolish. Ive been stood on Spean Bridge platform once, about to wait a few hours for the sleeper (thats another story!!) when without warning a 66 came through with a freight, I didn't hear it until it was pretty much on the platform, so any walker "walking" on the WHL whose around say a tight blind corner has no-hope? - especially if one side theres a gorge, and the other a vertical "wall" - Railways arent designed for photters / walkers / idiots - so keep safe , not on the tracks...

Jim

Established Member
Richard Armstrong said:
This is what gives enthusiasts a bad name. Why can't some of them just accept that they have no god given right to break the rules of the railway.

There was a dum prat at Westbury doing the same sort of thing today. I was so tempted to shout some words at him,but thought better or it
--- edited ---
Great shots BTW James:toothy8:

Status
Not open for further replies.