• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The PF Capital Deltic Reprise 29/7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Photographed just after Stenson Junction this morning, it was smoking a lotView attachment 139974View attachment 139974
If only photos came with sound. Have yet to catch a Deltic at full flight with a full rake of coaches like this. One day I will...

The Network Rail controller guy on the platform at Kings Cross was saying more people turned out yesterday to see the Deltic than they did for the Flying Scotsman :D
Can't say I'm too surprised. The Deltic is one of those diesel classes that can draw out steam loco-size crowds. 40s, 50s and Westerns too imho.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Alanko

Somewhere between Waverley and Queen Street.
Looking at the the Northbound Hitchin section, hard to be certain, but possibly only one plume of exhaust smoke visible indicating only one engine active.
It looks like one plume. I think the sound would be richer with two engines running as well as you get some interesting harmonic modulation between the two notes, even if they are close in pitch.

If only photos came with sound. Have yet to catch a Deltic at full flight with a full rake of coaches like this. One day I will...

Just imagine a knackered Transit van with a brick on the accelerator. Horn sounds can be approximated by squeezing a rubber chicken.

E27007

It looks like one plume. I think the sound would be richer with two engines running as well as you get some interesting harmonic modulation between the two notes, even if they are close in pitch.

Just imagine a knackered Transit van with a brick on the accelerator. Horn sounds can be approximated by squeezing a rubber chicken.
I'm familiar with Deltics from their service days 40 to 50 years ago, and the mechanical clatter at idle, all those phasing gears for the three crankshafts
55009 was mechanically very quiet when idling at Kings Cross, which I think must be down to some very careful setting up by the people who look after Alycidon, the exhaust note of the Napiers was steady too, none of the low-frequency harmonic exhaust sound "beat" when the two Napier engines are idling at slightly different rotational speeds

The Oil on the body side of Aycidon

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-30 at 18-09-03 Deltic 55009 Alycidon departs Chesterfield 29th July 2023 - ...png
    Screenshot 2023-07-30 at 18-09-03 Deltic 55009 Alycidon departs Chesterfield 29th July 2023 - ...png
    436.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

David Burrows

Going through Cherry Wilingham, at the top of the hill from Lincoln, the 47 shoving at the rear was doing a lot of the work, with not a lot of sound from the Deltic, suggesting that it was on one engine then.

xotGD

Established Member
A Deltic on one engine is essentially a Type 3.

A 33 or 37 would have struggled without the 47 on the back providing a bit of assistance.

ac6000cw

Established Member
Looking at the the Northbound Hitchin section, hard to be certain, but possibly only one plume of exhaust smoke visible indicating only one engine active.
Comparing the first (southbound) and second (northbound) parts in my video, I think the most of the smoke is (viewed from the front) coming from the exhaust on the left southbound and on the right northbound. But as the loco reversed between the two video clips, that's the same exhaust outlet in both cases. Given the comments and picture of oil stains on the side of the loco, that suggests one of the engines was maybe burning an excessive amount of oil, producing the smoke?

E27007

Comparing the first (southbound) and second (northbound) parts in my video, I think the most of the smoke is (viewed from the front) coming from the exhaust on the left southbound and on the right northbound. But as the loco reversed between the two video clips, that's the same exhaust outlet in both cases. Given the comments and picture of oil stains on the side of the loco, that suggests one of the engines was maybe burning an excessive amount of oil, producing the smoke?
I look forward to write-ups which describe the trip, i think an engine supercharger has developed an oil leak , the oil would be blown from inlet port - cylinder-exhaust port into into the exhaust collector drum and then be carried up and out of the exhaust port and drain down the bodyside. The oil is very black so I think it must be engine oil, and yes it does look like modern art.

My friend truly enjoyed his day behind Alycidon, no complaints from him about this fully-booked ambitious tour

Last edited:

E27007

My correspondent has phoned to say after the exit from Kings Cross the Deltic went onto a single engine at New Southgate, a governor shut-down, the locomotive ran for a considerable distance on one engine

I__

Going through Cherry Wilingham, at the top of the hill from Lincoln, the 47 shoving at the rear was doing a lot of the work, with not a lot of sound from the Deltic, suggesting that it was on one engine then.

No oil though!

Status
Not open for further replies.