• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Pope’s special train in 1982. Does anyone know the carriage numbers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher_n

I want to model the train used for the Pope's visit in 1982, from Gatwick Airport to London. Hauled by 73142 with TDB 975025 'Caroline', two FK and BCK. Can anyone tell me the running numbers for those last three coaches? And are they the same ones used for Prince Charles and Diana's honeymoon train the previous year?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I want to model the train used for the Pope's visit in 1982, from Gatwick Airport to London. Hauled by 73142 with TDB 975025 'Caroline', two FK and BCK. Can anyone tell me the running numbers for those last three coaches? And are they the same ones used for Prince Charles and Diana's honeymoon train the previous year?

Welcome to the forum @Christopher_n. :)

I’ve moved this to the history section because I think it probably fits better there and you should get more responses.
I seem to remember that @D6130 might have had some involvement on the day possibly?

D1537

The Honeymoon train was only 3 coaches in total (including 975025). (2:22 in this video).

73A SL

I can't help with the carriage numbers but I thought the attached picture might be of interest. Dad was depot engineer at Stewarts Lane at the time, he's on the right leaning on the buffer beam.

Attachments

• received_304659915182470.jpeg
    received_304659915182470.jpeg
    555.2 KB · Views: 62

D6130

Established Member
I seem to remember that @D6130 might have had some involvement on the day possibly?
Unfortunately, I was only involved in the planning and monitoring of the special trains bringing the faithful to Corkerhill station for the Papal Mass in Bellahouston Park in Glasgow. The man himself arrived by helicopter from a seminary near Milngavie, where he had spent the previous night, before transferring to a semi-open topped "Popemobile" which conveyed him around the park. After the event, the Pope again departed by helicopter.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Unfortunately, I was only involved in the planning and monitoring of the special trains bringing the faithful to Corkerhill station for the Papal Mass in Bellahouston Park in Glasgow. The man himself arrived by helicopter from a seminary near Milngavie, where he had spent the previous night, before transferring to a semi-open topped "Popemobile" which conveyed him around the park. After the event, the Pope again departed by helicopter.

Ah that’s fine. I thought I read something about it that you’d mentioned but I couldn’t remember where or what. :)

ChiefPlanner

Established Member

Useful if you have any information on how the public specials loaded. It was a huge National logisitic operation at Coventry , York and Cardiff (anywhere else ?) , with a seriously complex train and resource plan. (which of course could never happen in the privatised railway) - my wife's family travelled Selly Oak to Coventry direct in what was a DMU special (in the small hours) - with many diesel sets for the Midlands operation sent up from Marylebone depot ! - there was a great write up in the Modern Railways edition around the time , referring to York.

(suggestions that the Cardiff rail element was poorly patronised...)

Lemmy99uk

Not as poorly as the direct Walsall to Coventry service that used the Aston Stetchford line.

I was a Guard at the time and worked 3 trips in the early hours of the morning. I’m pretty sure I only carried a hand full of passengers for the whole shift.

Good earner though.

D6130

Established Member
Useful if you have any information on how the public specials loaded. It was a huge National logisitic operation at Coventry , York and Cardiff (anywhere else ?) , with a seriously complex train and resource plan. (which of course could never happen in the privatised railway) - my wife's family travelled Selly Oak to Coventry direct in what was a DMU special (in the small hours) - with many diesel sets for the Midlands operation sent up from Marylebone depot ! - there was a great write up in the Modern Railways edition around the time , referring to York.

Likewise the Glasgow operation. Luckily we still had the Paisley Canal line as a through route then. I can't lay may hands on my notes right now but, IIRC, there were about 20 specials - all loco-hauled - from all over Scotland, the vast majority of which arrived from the East, disembarked their passengers at Corkerhill in about 5 minutes flat and then set-off Westwards to various stabling points in Ayrshire (ISTR Falkland Yard featuring prominently), to allow the next train to arrive and unload. The small number of specials arriving from the opposite direction (two or three maybe?) were despatched empty to Polmadie or Motherwell depots. In the morning, I was standing lineside at Shields Junction armed with clipboard, Special traffic Notice and high-vis anorak and my recollection is that all the trains were well-filled and - with one exception - very punctual. Motive power included classes 25, 26, 27, 37, 40 and 47 and - because the Scottish Region didn't possess enough spare stock - several Mark 1 sets had been borrowed from the ER and LMR. In the evening, I was at Corkerhill station and my recollection is that the whole operation went off remarkably efficiently, considering the potential difficulties in getting thousands of people marshalled in the correct order for the correct train at a tiny two-platform suburban station. If and when I find my notes, I shall post the details on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.