• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Railway Touring Company - "The Peaks Express" Sunday 25 September 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

railfan99

Established Member
This tour was originally timetabled to depart Preston at 1045 hours on Sunday 25 September, arriving back at 2045 mid evening.

There's trackwork at Woodley so the times have changed as the train is diverting, with departure 25 minutes earlier at 1020 and arrival not back at Preston, Lancs until 2239 hours.

Good that Network Rail and RTC provide this amount of advance notice as I'm still in Australia. Impressive, and great as a result of history there are alternative routes, even if Dr Beeching would have liked to have closed more than he did.

Revised times are on the RTC website, with a stop at Buxton from 2006 to 2018 for passengers to stretch their legs. Pleasing to be doing a circular route but as this portion will be at night, somewhat academic.

More bang for one's buck (or should I say 'GBP'?) A long day, so hope it doesn't run overly late. There is a TSSA rail strike next day but (touch wood) not on 25/9.

If anyone's on the train I look forward to saying 'hi'.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brian1947

This tour was originally timetabled to depart Preston at 1045 hours on Sunday 25 September, arriving back at 2045 mid evening.

There's trackwork at Woodley so the times have changed as the train is diverting, with departure 25 minutes earlier at 1020 and arrival not back at Preston, Lancs until 2239 hours.

Good that Network Rail and RTC provide this amount of advance notice as I'm still in Australia. Impressive, and great as a result of history there are alternative routes, even if Dr Beeching would have liked to have closed more than he did.

Revised times are on the RTC website, with a stop at Buxton from 2006 to 2018 for passengers to stretch their legs. Pleasing to be doing a circular route but as this portion will be at night, somewhat academic.

More bang for one's buck (or should I say 'GBP'?) A long day, so hope it doesn't run overly late. There is a TSSA rail strike next day but (touch wood) not on 25/9.

If anyone's on the train I look forward to saying 'hi'.
I suspect the revised route was always on the cards, and probably awaiting confirmation from NR. The previous return route timing certainly appeared to have some slack in it.

However, as the tour already included some freight routes with the chance to go through Toton we booked it about a month ago. Now that it includes Peak Forest and the old Midland route into Buxton it becomes an excellent tour albeit of shorter time duration than many other railtours.

Look forward to meeting you, hopefully.

railfan99

Established Member
I suspect the revised route was always on the cards, and probably awaiting confirmation from NR. The previous return route timing certainly appeared to have some slack in it.

However, as the tour already included some freight routes with the chance to go through Toton we booked it about a month ago. Now that it includes Peak Forest and the old Midland route into Buxton it becomes an excellent tour albeit of shorter time duration than many other railtours.

I lack intimate knowledge of the tour route, though I've previously travelled on much of the UK rail network.

If there was some excess (recovery) time in the schedule prior to the announced deviation, why is the trip overall taking two and a quarter hours more? How many extra kilometres is the tour covering compared with the originally advertised route?

Am I correct that it should be steam all day, with no change of locos? Which ones are the most likely to be on the shortlist from the 'Carnforth pool'?

Brian1947

I lack intimate knowledge of the tour route, though I've previously travelled on much of the UK rail network.

If there was some excess (recovery) time in the schedule prior to the announced deviation, why is the trip overall taking two and a quarter hours more? How many extra kilometres is the tour covering compared with the originally advertised route?

Am I correct that it should be steam all day, with no change of locos? Which ones are the most likely to be on the shortlist from the 'Carnforth pool'?
AIUI the tour is steam hauled throughout, though there may be a diesel on the rear in order to move the train into Buxton station. Not sure about extra mileage (kilometreage?), but line speeds may be limited to 20mph on the Great Rocks to Buxton section much of which is on an ascending incline.

Google Earth would help you understand the route, but also try “railmaponline.com” and zoom into Buxton and other areas covered by the tour.

I doubt we will know which loco until much nearer the tour, I will ask my son to keep his ear to the ground.

railfan99

Established Member
Google Earth would help you understand the route, but also try “railmaponline.com” and zoom into Buxton and other areas covered by the tour.

Thanks for great reply. This page helped me to understand the Buxton rail lines:

Coming from a nation where there are not easily achievable alternative rail routes (often none), compounded by different gauges, it's thrilling UK retains many. Incredibly handy, and fun for those who tick off individual line sections (you have a specific word in UK). Looks like I've picked an interesting tour if it runs.

My assessment from afar, having only ever done one railfan trip in UK years ago, was RTC looked among the best operators, and tries where possible NOT to have a diesel at the rear.

Brian1947, on the day I may have a Pentax DSLR dangling. Code!

Dave S 56F

I once did the Buxton spa express in 2017 it was 45690 and 76084 double heading and as far as I'm aware the train was run up and down the old midland Road from the junction at Chinley and the loco turned on the triangle at Chinley jct and reversed tender 1st back to Buxton at Edale east jct and in 2018 Buxton spa express we also got to run over the old L.N.W.R. viaduct route past buxton high level former station to Hindlow and it was 45407 and 45690 top and tail formation where the hindlow limestone quarry is.

Daniel_P

My assessment from afar, having only ever done one railfan trip in UK years ago, was RTC looked among the best operators, and tries where possible NOT to have a diesel at the rear.

Firstly, RTC isn't operating the train - West Coast Railways is. RTC is promoting the train. It is down to the operator to decide whether or not to include a diesel in the formation or not.

Secondly, all of the operators try where possible not to include a diesel locomotive in the formation, because it costs to do so (fuel consumption - both in terms of the diesel itself and the extra coal/water required to lug around an extra 100+ tons - crew(s) and so on). It's not a case of the TOC chucking a box on the back for the fun of it, but it is often required for operational reasons.

railfan99

Established Member
Secondly, all of the operators try where possible not to include a diesel locomotive in the formation, because it costs to do so (fuel consumption - both in terms of the diesel itself and the extra coal/water required to lug around an extra 100+ tons - crew(s) and so on). It's not a case of the TOC chucking a box on the back for the fun of it, but it is often required for operational reasons.

If steep gradients are not the problem, why can't they operate the diesel as a light engine (or as is the fashion in UK, with a 'support coach') and merely follow the train, being able to couple to the rear after being given authority to enter the section under pilot working or similar should the train loco (steam) encounter problems?

Others elsewhere have suggested Network Rail sometimes insists these heritage trains have a diesel at rear, which to me (partly) wrecks the experience of travelling on a steam hauled-trip on main or other lines. (But I am a mere foreigner).

Last edited:

Dave S 56F

R.T.C. Peaks express now cancelled due to insufficient passenger bookings. knowing that private steam T.O.C. have to have at least 50%+ the passenger capacity on the carriages otherwise the tour in question would just run at a loss.

railfan99

Established Member
R.T.C. Peaks express now cancelled due to insufficient passenger bookings. knowing that private steam T.O.C. have to have at least 50%+ the passenger capacity on the carriages otherwise the tour in question would just run at a loss.

I was coming from Australia and this was my only heritage mainline steam tour that I'd booked. I have paid for local accommodation so have to stay where I've booked, removing flexibility.

You'd really think RTC could run one tour at a loss, provided others are profitable.

Unhelpful, and very short notice. I am unimpressed, but may rejig the day to visit Llangollen Railway on an earlier day than planned.

From what one reads, times are becoming tough in the UK, but given your new Prime Minister has announced massive energy subsidies for owner occupiers and tenants alike, that at least minimises or removes one source of financial worry.

If RTC does this often, its reputation will suffer.

Sorry to whinge given I am fortunate in being able to afford overseas travel to distant climes, and otherwise, I'm sure RTC does a great job in conjunction with its designated rail operator West Coast Railways.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.