• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The trouble with TPE e-tickets part 3074

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeg

Established Member
Hi. I know I usually make a big song and dance about not buying e-tickets but today I thought I'd give it a try. What a foolish decision that was. Travelling from thirsk to York, I decided to buy a CDR from Northallerton to York route tpe only and have it delivered as an e ticket on the tpe app.

First of all I got an error on the website saying there was a problem with my payment. No problem I thought. I'll book thru the TPE app. Now it appears I have two identical e tickets and have been charged twice.

Secondly I know restriction i3 allows break of journey, which is crucial for me. At no point was it made clear I could not break my journey on an e ticket, so I went ahead and booked. Now it says in the information tab accessed by tapping the 'I' button under the ticket that break of journey isn't permitted on this ticket. News to me!
Where do I stand with all this? The ticket office at thirsk is closed despite being supposed to open at 0845 (a regular occurrence). Do any of you think I will have any trouble?

As an aside I didn't think the tsa allowed an alteration in ticket validity per method of sale or delivery. Is this lawful?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
In what way does it say that break of journey isn't permitted? That doesn't sound right to me. Whenever I have looked at this before it has been the case that an Off Peak Day Return is the same price and terms relating to things like refunds, compensation, break of journey etc whether issued on paper or mobile. I assume you are in fact talking about M-tickets, or mobile tickets which must be activated before travel?

Wallsendmag

Established Member
e-Tickets and m-Tickets are two very different things, it appears that on the fulfillment selection screen TPE are calling it an e-Ticket and on the more info screen a m-Ticket , brilliant

Starmill

Veteran Member
An M-ticket must be shown in an app and must be activated before use. This is totally different to an e-ticket, which can be printed out, shown on a screen, loaded into an app or issued as a PKPASS file*. I'm afraid I'm none the wiser as to which you have been sold as I'm not seeing any images. Sorry!

*unless it's still the old style, in which case the T&C are, I think, that it should be printed in plain white A4.

mikeg

Established Member
Hi I suspect it was in fact an e ticket as there is no activation involved, rather a static 2d barcode is displayed within the app.

I know that it’s a dirty word round here - but I’ve encountered that on the Trainline app - some tickets are of the “download and activate” type - others are just a QR code that gets dumped into my Apple Wallet app as a “card” that doesn’t require activating.

Seems to be random what one I get given.

pdsalford

I suspect the difference is in the mode of purchase, an m- ticket bought by app, an e-ticket bought online? Just my guess, though. How long till the first degree course in deciphering 21st-century rail tickets?

WelshBluebird

Established Member
GWR have the same "restriction" which bars break of journey on their m-tickets. I suspect this is technically unenforceable as you are not warned about this before purchase, but I wouldn't really like to be the one having to argue it!

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
GWR have the same "restriction" which bars break of journey on their m-tickets. I suspect this is technically unenforceable as you are not warned about this before purchase, but I wouldn't really like to be the one having to argue it!
Well, it is a quite simply case of contractual terms. You are given the right to break your journey at the time of making the contract; that right cannot retrospectively be denied to you, not unless you agree to the denial!

island

Veteran Member
...and give consideration for it too.

As with many situations, however, successfully claiming one’s right can be stressful or difficult.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
...and give consideration for it too.

As with many situations, however, successfully claiming one’s right can be stressful or difficult.
Indeed - it is one thing for something to constitute a breach of contract. It is quite another to enforce that breach of contract - often easier said than done!

Status
Not open for further replies.