• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Yorkshire Steam Railway Channel 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

ungreat

Just watched the latest episode...the claim that the 9F is the only one left....
No
It
Isn't !!
Theres 9 preserved ones...not all run but you would think even the NYMR would know this!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
No...but that's not what they said! They said it was the last one left!
I was left with the impression they meant it was the last one built when we know it wasn't. I wonder if there was an off-line edit which removed the explanation that it was the only single-chimney one left as that was thought too technical for the majority of the viewers?

Flying Phil

Established Member
I think many people on here think that a TV programme ought to be totally correct, it must be remembered that these are Entertainment and so various details are omitted for the sake of continuity, time, ignorance and many other factors. We should be grateful that the series is, overall, very favourable to our passion!.....

Dunfanaghy Rd

I was left with the impression they meant it was the last one built when we know it wasn't. I wonder if there was an off-line edit which removed the explanation that it was the only single-chimney one left as that was thought too technical for the majority of the viewers?

Too technical for the production team, I suspect :lol:
Pat

Killingworth

Established Member
I think many people on here think that a TV programme ought to be totally correct, it must be remembered that these are Entertainment and so various details are omitted for the sake of continuity, time, ignorance and many other factors. We should be grateful that the series is, overall, very favourable to our passion!.....

Wouldn't it be great if all we see in the media was 100% correct? Wars can start from such misreporting.

I was once asked a series of rail related questions to camera. My carefully thought through explanations were mostly canned, too complicated for the audience. After a few retakes I got exasperated and said something like,"you can't have two trains going in opposite directions over the same track at the same time". Nailed it. There was a mentally deleted expletive in there.

Yes, I've noticed one or two things on Yorkshire Steam Railway. I get frosty looks from across the room when I point them out!

AndyY1951

I watched it, and thought whilst they didn't say anything categorically wrong, a bit of explanation about it being the last single-chimney example and thus the last of its type wouldn't have gone amiss.

wagwan my g

Yeah I think they could've made it a little clearer but as said it's probably a bit too technical , sorry if this is going slightly off topic but as much as this show is very good I do have an issue with it, that being when they show shots of one train claiming it's another one and I know I'm not the only one who has noticed this. like last week when that crew started off on a standard 4, by the time they got to the signal it had magically turned into a B1 and the coaches had changed livery. and last night's episode when they had that crew on repton supposedly pulling the pullman rake yet I'm pretty certain it departed from the wrong platform for this service, and showed it to be pulling a normal mk1 rake, and going on the whitby stretch which I'm pretty certain the pullman service doesn't do.

The average television viewer would not know the difference between a Pullman rake or mark 1s, or whether a loco was a 9F or an A4, it is aimed at the general public. Sometimes enthusiasts can over think the matter of continuity, and this comes up in every single tv programme where railways are involved, whether it is Portillo, Paddington or Scenic Rail whatever. Just relax and enjoy.

Spamcan81

And we wonder why the general public see railway enthusiasts as obsessive nerds. :rolleyes:
I'm just happy that there's a series about a heritage railway that's broadly entertaining, faux drama and inaccuracies notwithstanding, that doesn't portray the movement as full of stereotypical social misfits.

ungreat

And we wonder why the general public see railway enthusiasts as obsessive nerds. :rolleyes:
I'm just happy that there's a series about a heritage railway that's broadly entertaining, faux drama and inaccuracies notwithstanding, that doesn't portray the movement as full of stereotypical social misfits.
Thank you for the nerd tag....surely being a poster on here would label most who post similar?
I await the next football based programme that says a footballist thing wrong and the inevitable roar from said footballists!!

superjohn

It wasn’t wrong though. They said it is the last of its kind and it is. The specifics might be rather esoteric but so what?

I really like the programme, it presents the railway and the hobby in general in a very positive way.

alexl92

Established Member
Yeah I think they could've made it a little clearer but as said it's probably a bit too technical , sorry if this is going slightly off topic but as much as this show is very good I do have an issue with it, that being when they show shots of one train claiming it's another one and I know I'm not the only one who has noticed this. like last week when that crew started off on a standard 4, by the time they got to the signal it had magically turned into a B1 and the coaches had changed livery. and last night's episode when they had that crew on repton supposedly pulling the pullman rake yet I'm pretty certain it departed from the wrong platform for this service, and showed it to be pulling a normal mk1 rake, and going on the whitby stretch which I'm pretty certain the pullman service doesn't do.

Chris Price, the railway's GM, has said from the outset that there would be continuity issues. They basically work with one/two cameras and a drone to make the program cost effective; to produce a program that didn't have these issues would require a huge of extra crew - I may be mistaken but I think he suggested up to 10 cameras. As others have said, it is a program aimed at the general public and whilst I think most aren't daft enough to miss a whole train changing colour, they probably aren't that fussed. They certainly wouldn't know the difference between the interiors of a MK1 or a Pullman.

So whilst, yes, it's infuriating to see 76079 become 1264 become 80136 for the enthusiast in me, I'm grateful that our heritage railways are getting national attention on free-to-air TV, with the increased visitor interest that comes with it and hopefully a change in the perception of enthusiasts too!

It'd be great to see similar programs made at other major heritage lines too.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
this is tiresome. It comes up every time there is a minor continuity issue. Someone who had no idea obviously cut out the part about a single chimney. Why? because it is dull minutiae that wont attract or engage the general viewer

I watched this programme with my gf and pointed this out. She said: OK. (Yawn/sigh) That isnt really the story though is it? The story is that these blokes have spent 50 years fixing something up from a wreck and getting it going again. It is a big train and looks the part, it chuffs and it peeps and people are having fun. It is a positive story for the railway and good publicity.

and she was right.

mpthomson

92134 is the only surviving single-chimney example. It wouldn't have been too hard to say so, though, would it?
Pat

It's not a programme for train spotters, it's a general interest and slightly humorous programme about a heritage railway line. The general public simply don't care about chimneys.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
It would be nice to make a diesel version. It could highlight some major restorations (c15/28),new builds (c22etc), conversions (c23/37) and some general dieselly type things.

It would be nice to make a diesel version. It could highlight some major restorations (c15/28),new builds (c22etc), conversions (c23/37) and some general dieselly type things.
Perhaps the programme would then appeal to even fewer members of the general population. Reduced viewing figures then means less chance of future programmes. T V is all about viewing figures and the related advertising income. The programme is not, as has been stated many many times, aimed at railway enthusiasts.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Perhaps the programme would then appeal to even fewer members of the general population. Reduced viewing figures then means less chance of future programmes. T V is all about viewing figures and the related advertising income. The programme is not, as has been stated many many times, aimed at railway enthusiasts.
Maybe so,but it's frustrating watching all those steam locos puffing around when clearly there's some 26/37 action going on as well.
Whilst I agree that this programme is for people who wouldn't know a Patriot from a Praire I believe all channels should provide for minority interests. The likes of Quest or Yesterday seem to manage it ok so why not mainstream channels.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Indeed but Quest and Yesterday run endless shows on Nazi Germany and that's hardly mainstream! Whilst that example may be a tad extreme,why shouldn't a TV company make a programme about diesels?

ajs1981

Quest and Yesterday are part of companies which have other, mainstream, channels so they can use Quest and Yesterday for speciality programs? I think Quest is part of Eurosport and Yesterday is part of UKTV which is, at least in part, owned by BBC studios.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
So nobody wants a programme about diesels. If there's no demand it won't happen. Never mind,carry on watching Strictly and Gogglebox etc.

So nobody wants a programme about diesels. If there's no demand it won't happen. Never mind,carry on watching Strictly and Gogglebox etc.
Just because there seems little interest in your passion for restoring diesel locomotives, perhaps unsurprisingly, there is no need for patronising comments, as I am sure like many, I have never seen either of the two programmes you mention. People have tried to explain, in polite language, how television companies commission programmes, but clearly this has not been accepted. As I said previously, be grateful for what we have, and just enjoy it.

Last edited:

d9009alycidon

There is a simple answer to this argument, if you are a fan of what the mainstream TV would consider a minority interest, go ahead and make your own programmes and put them on youtube. If we are to believe the latest statistics more and more people are moving away from watching commercoally produced programmes in favour of youtube and similar. Almost professional quality cameras are available at reasonable prices and video software is equally affordable, I have seen some very well produced railway related videos online.

Status
Not open for further replies.