• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

They make me sick!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

charlie873

If National Service was reinstated, there wouldn't be half the crime as there is now as kids would get taught a bit of respect and disciplne.
When I was younger, we used to play on Skateboards or with a football, not vandalising railway property or hanging around in hoodies terrorising folk.
And another thing, whats with the government spending millions of pounds of adverts telling kids not to hit they're girlfriends? I never had them adverts and I still knew that you dont go around hitting women.
What sort of society are we living in?
By the way, I'm 30 not a moaning Old Man.

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
If National Service was reinstated, there wouldn't be half the crime as there is now as kids would get taught a bit of respect and disciplne.
When I was younger, we used to play on Skateboards or with a football, not vandalising railway property or hanging around in hoodies terrorising folk.
And another thing, whats with the government spending millions of pounds of adverts telling kids not to hit they're girlfriends? I never had them adverts and I still knew that you dont go around hitting women.

I agree with most your post.

The only thing I would say is there has always been trouble making kids, but they were not as worse as some of todays youth, the problem is that they know they can get away with things. Lets say if they were hit by there dad when there misbehaving, they would go to school and say "My dad is hitting me" and there would be all the sorrow and sympathy for them and the dad would be classed as an 'Abuser' or somthing and may go to prison.

One other thing I am fed up with is kids have an attitude 'My mum/dad can't do nothing' and go ahead and cause trouble and utter chaos.

Jeff Worsnop

Capital Punishment or maybe a tour of duty in Afghanistan as IED detectors. :)

Not funny at all. Just a stupid thoughtless throwaway remark.
My son worked in a bomb disposal team
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
My post was aimed fairly and squarely at low life, oxygen wasting, brain cell deprived scum NOT the 95% of decent kids out there!QUOTE]

Yes, I don't think anybody can label every single young person in the 'being a complete div' bracket, all I was trying to say is I am finding kids are getting away with far more these days because they have nothing to fear. Two of my friends have given up teaching because they are fed up with the abuse they get from the kids, both verbally and even physically! But they have no powers to stop them or even touch them (even if they are being hit continiously). Its out of control....When I was in school if a teacher shouted everyone sat up and listened and had the respect to stop whatever naughtyness they were doing. I'm not talking bring back the cane, but lets at least be a little more stern with them.

.....or send all of the idiot ones to military school :lol: atleast the rest of the youth that are good law abiding and respectful citizens won't have to worry about getting a bad name, then.

I think the military have enough to do without running reform schools.
We had a s4ithead who terrorised our neighbourhood for about 3 years,until he turned 16, suddenly his whole attitude changed because he was then classed as an adult, all the time he was giving us s4it I kept telling him that when he was 16 I would make good on my promise.
2 months after his birthday I got him, you should have seen him cry and that was before I hit him, still made good on the promise though, boy it felt good!

So you descended to his level. I guess both of you need the attention of the law. Or perhaps a vigilante mob made up of his family then a counter mob of your family and so on and so on.

Skateboarding and football in residential streets can be a serious nuisance. The irony of your post is exquisite.

Did you do National Service of any sort?
The country does not want a conscript army.
And who would decide who "needs" National Service?
You should really engage brain before spouting rubbish.

Just like the Facebook group kids usually wear hoodies because they're cold, not because they're about to knife you.

Your attitude towards them often determines how they approach you, if you're already hostile with them expecting trouble, you can't blame them for being hostile with you.

I've come across some real thugs of young lads who I wouldn't entertain in prison never mind my own home, but as long as you have a good attitude, you'll very rarely get the bad side of them. Just like the general public.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If National Service was reinstated

Do you have any idea the vast expense that would be? Money would have to be provided to train, equip, and house around 600,000 new recruits every year. To put that in perspective the present armed forces only have 240,000 personnel. So you would be near enough tripling the armed forces by introducing National Service. Do you actually want to pay for that? :roll:

ChrisCooper

Established Member
The irony of "bring back national service" is that most of the people who seem to say it have never done military service themselves. National Service ended in the UK in 1960, so you would have to be at least 58 to have done it, wheras most of the people I've heard it from are younger than that.
It's important to remember that the reason for national service was because the military could at the time not recruit enough volenteers, it had nothing to do with the "benefits" for those involved, or society (other than in terms of the "need" to fight wars). These days the armed forces have no problems with recruitment, at least not to the point where any form of concription is needed.
Also, National Service would unlikely solve the problem of "young people" as would only be for those over 18, wheras by that point it's really to late. The majority of people who are still serious trouble then are not the sort we want in the armed forces anyway.

charlie873

Jeff, I didn't do any National Service. I'm about to leave after 12 years regular service and 6 operational tours. Made me grow up a lot along with a lot of others.
Also, i never mentioned about playing football in the streets, we had a perfectly good playing field not far from our house.
Sorry, next time I'll try to engage my brain before spouting rubbish.
And Ainsworth74, That is true, the cost would be huge to train more soldiers, however, on the flip side, the money we would save on crime fighting would decrease also.

the sniper

Established Member
So you descended to his level. I guess both of you need the attention of the law. Or perhaps a vigilante mob made up of his family then a counter mob of your family and so on and so on.

If I'm honest, I quietly applaud royaloak for his actions. In some cases, many peoples lives can be made absolute hell by the kind of person he describes, whole estates can live in fear of just a few individuals, often they'll come from the same family. These kind of people don't fear the Police or the force of law, often prison is an improvement on the chaotic homes they've been brought up in, so could see a stay in one of HM Prisons as an educational holiday.

Until the government wake up and work out how they're going to punish these people, I can only see cases vigilantism rising, and tbh, I hope it does. The worst of these yobs are the Kings of their castles and rule their little estates with an iron fist. There is one major problem for them though, their castles are built on sand, as soon as people shake the foundations they will come crashing down. History has shown us that citizens can overthrow any regime if they have the will and inclination to do so, and as long as the government/legal system fail to tackle these people, decent people will have no other option but to take action themselves.

Your attitude towards them often determines how they approach you, if you're already hostile with them expecting trouble, you can't blame them for being hostile with you.

I've come across some real thugs of young lads who I wouldn't entertain in prison never mind my own home, but as long as you have a good attitude, you'll very rarely get the bad side of them. Just like the general public.

This really is excellent advice. I live in a fairly crappy area (though luckily we don't have problems such as those described above), but I've always found that 'DescendingSadly's' way going about these things is the best course of action, as such I've never had any real problems with any yobs. *Touches wood* :lol:

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Just like the Facebook group kids usually wear hoodies because they're cold, not because they're about to knife you.

Although some times if you approach them with a nice attitude you'll be called 'Gay' or somthing. That seems to be there favorite word at the moment.

devon_metro

Established Member

Sort of agree with you. Many people, particularly the older generation are too quick to judge. Countless times have I heard "back in my day..."

It's boring me!

Oswyntail

Established Member
"Back in my day" a group of us kids would hang around one of two railway bridges, some of us spotting, others just hanging out. We could be boisterous, and had the occasional complaint of being intimidating. Did some silly things, as well. Of course, it wasn't as bad as today's kids, because we didn't wear hoodies.
Honestly, is there something they put in the water, so that anyone over the age of about 24 forgets what it was like to be a teenager? Today's kids are just the same as we ever were, with the mix right across the spectrum. The difference being that we older members of society have really f*****d things up for them good and proper.

Established Member
This is why guards should have AK-47s in their cab/hidy-hole/TGS

"Emergency Ladder, Ticket machine, Anti-chav device..."

chris89

Established Member
Only way to really get some off these kids to act sensible is by actually having Jail sentences that match the crime, instead off just a telling off. E.g. something not related at all, But a neighbour Scammed £30,000 from OAP's and only got 140hrs community service over 6 months, if These youths know they get so little they will continue to do so. Or another Example a incedent at Kidderminster Station (Main Line) They were let off after throwing a breeze block off a bridge which shatter a Class 66 (i think) cab window and injured the driver./ Their sentence was reduced alot.

But believe a lot off the problems happen because their is nothing to do at all for young people as lots off youth clubs have shut down, so they are bound to get up to trouble.

I can't personally Comment on National Service if it should be brought back or not since im only 20/21 but i personally think it would be a bad idea, first off all we can't afford it as a country also every one would be treated the same, even if they are decent citenzens.

Last edited:

boing_uk

Well if they are caught should be stuck in some 'Stocks' for a few Hours.

That would work SO well. Being caught and publicly humiliated like that, especially if the restraint were published would be much better than any faceless punishment.

There is alot of talk about peer pressure. Why not use that to our advantage?

thefab444

Established Member
I can't personally Comment on National Service if it should be brought back or not since im only 20/21 but i personally think it would be a bad idea, first off all we can't afford it as a country also every one would be treated the same, even if they are decent citenzens.

I'd certainly think about leaving the country were I forced to do National Service.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
I think the big problem with society as a whole (and i don't think it's just young people) is that people are too much about rights, and not enough about responsibility. There are far too many "I know my rights" people, and too many rules give rights without responsibility. As a young-ish person on the "good" (although far from perfect) side of things I've experianced it quite a bit, both directly and also through friends and family. The better side of society will tend to just accept punishments even if they seem unfair or unjust, and will often feel they deserve it anyway. They can also hold back as a victim too due to feeling they were responsible or even embarassed (if it's something stupid they have done that has lead to them being a victim). They won't make a big thing of their rights, and probably won't know them, maybe not until it's too late, and are easily "fobbed off" that the outcome is the best they can hope for (and that pushing for anything else is likely to backfire and leave them worse off). They will usually be honest too, and won't think of lying to either make themselves look good or someone else look worse, and might even drop themselves in it.
The bad side on the other hand will never accept anything and will make sure they get their rights. Even as victims they will make sure they milk it for everything possible, and would never admit to anything that might suggest they actually were asking for it (e.g they were doing something wrong to begin with). They know their rights to the letter, and make sure they get them. They will happily lie as much as possible and have a good knowledge of what will likely stick and what won't.
Like I said though, it works both ways, and is pretty universal. The problem is that in any given situation, the bad person will nearly always have the upper hand over the good person. This can even get to the point where the "victim" and the "criminal" end up reversed.

jon0844

Veteran Member
You're 100% spot on.. and so many people know that you're 100% but it seems that the politicians don't know, or don't care.

You're also so right about how so many people won't report crimes now, either because they think it's a waste of time, or because they feel guilty and responsible in some way.

As long as the crime stats fall, everything is all okay. Meanwhile the general public live their lives looking down at the floor and turning a blind eye to anything they accidentally witness.

The only thing that reassures me is that the vast majority of people, young or old, are good people - but it doesn't take that many bad ones to put us where we are today. The people who say they're being unfairly associated with the bad people, should be standing up and fighting like the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.