• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Things that used to be commonplace in the workplace

Status
Not open for further replies.

AY1975

Established Member
Following on from the long-running and now locked thread on things that used to be commonplace in the home at https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/things-that-used-to-be-common-place-in-people’s-homes.212936/ I thought how about a similar thread on things (facilities, pieces of equipment, items of furniture, practices and even types of job) that used to be commonplace in the workplace but that have now largely or completely died out or are less common than they once were.

This can include examples from offices, factories or any other type of workplace.

Here are a few to start you off:

Manual typewriters.

Duplicators for duplicating documents (e.g. Gestetner duplicators).

Telex machines.

Fax machines - they are still around but are used much less now than in the 1990s and early 2000s and are slowly dying out (see also this thread on whether the fax machine will ever disappear completely: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/will-the-fax-machine-ever-disappear-completely.224255/)

Audio cassette recorders for recording letters to be typed by secretaries/typists, who would then listen to them with earphones and type the letter as they heard it on the tape.

Modern technology has also meant that secretaries themselves are now much less common, and where they still exist they are often called Personal Assistants instead.

Microfiche readers - not sure if they are still used today. They were still being used at my university library when I was a student in the 1990s. You could use them to read archive copies of old newspapers, for example.

Manual date stamps for stamping documents (and for stamping the due back date in library books). Post Offices still use manual date stamps.

Ashtrays in the days when office workers could freely light up at their desks (which I think was allowed in most offices until about the late 1980s/early '90s).

Indoor smoking rooms in the 1990s and early 2000s.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cb a1

Recalling my teen years in the 80s working in the office for a bakery:
Adding machines
Clocking in/out cards
Pay packets (and cash to go in them)
Carbon paper
Green and white lined computer paper (with holes down the side)
Lever arch files

Lloyds siding

Numerous filing cabinets, we also had entire rooms racked out with files stored floor to ceiling.
and the result of this...layers of paper dust!
Filing 'skips' to move numerous files around
'Wet' photocopiers
Rubber 'thumbs'
Tea trollies and a 'tea lady' (they were always female)
I used to work in public health...so I sat next to the 'smallpox cabinet' full of unpleasant chemicals and body bags in case there was a smallpox outbreak...

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Tea trollies and a 'tea lady' (they were always female)
The London Borough of Camden, progressive even in those days ( :) ) had a male wheeling the tea trolley in their Housing Department offices in the early/mid 1970s: he was someone who had suffered 'shell shock' while in the Army during the Second World War, and it was then a legal requirement for large organisations and firms to employ a certain percentage of workers who had impairments. He was a very pleasant, placid man and we all made sure he was treated well: anyone who didn't soon got the message very publically from the formidable boss.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Green and white lined computer paper (with holes down the side)
And the corresponding "burster" machine that separated the perforated sheets and trimmed off the feed holes. Noisy and a bit terrifying.
Still being made for mass mailings etc, but no longer in general office use really.
Found a vid of one here, rather quieter than the one I remember:

Lloyds siding

The London Borough of Camden, progressive even in those days ( :) ) had a male wheeling the tea trolley in their Housing Department offices in the early/mid 1970s: he was someone who had suffered 'shell shock' while in the Army during the Second World War, and it was then a legal requirement for large organisations and firms to employ a certain percentage of workers who had impairments. He was a very pleasant, placid man and we all made sure he was treated well: anyone who didn't soon got the message very publically from the formidable boss.
I was being a bit provocative there...when I first started, the tea lady's deputy (in her absence) was one of the male filing clerks. Yes, my governemnt office had blind typists, filing clerks and porters with mental and physical impairments, epileptics and thalidomide affected people in different roles and one of the chief officers in a wheelchair.

Lloyds siding

The council I worked at had one of the last large PBX switchboards with numerous switchboard operators. One of my suave, debonair and dangerous colleagues took me under his wing as a new recruit and said ' It's a very good idea to have the switchboard operators on good terms' and we disappeared down several tortuous corridors until we found them. He was armed with a large box of chocolates and announced himself ' Hello girls and Derek (Derek was partially sighted and could find his way round the patchboard), I've brought some chocolates... and this is Lloyd, he's new so look after him!' Yes, he was a bit of a creep, but the advice was good. The switchboard operator could warn you beforehand that they had an irate client or one of our persistent complainers ('do you want me to put them through?'), or cover for you if you needed to leave early. In return of course I would get 'We don't know who this caller should speak to..but you always now what to do...can I put them through?' and then when the caller rang off a voice in my ear would say 'I think you dealt with that very well'...she'd only been listening in to the conversation!

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Don't forget clipboards.
A vital bit of kit when working on a shop floor - grab a clipboard, stick a pen behind your ear and look puzzled and you're far less likely to be bothered by those pesky customers. :)

McRhu

When I started work it was all 80-character punch cards and conveyor belts for documents. In fact there was a huge vault with massive multi-ton bookshelves that ran on rails in the floor. I have no doubt that the entire data content of the entire place would now fit comfortably onto a single USB stick. Everyone smoked (including most of the 800 people in the subterranean room) and in the summer the place was infested by fleas of all things. What I miss most though (and what I haven't seen for a loooong time) is cheery clerks whistling affably as they went about their duties.

Shimbleshanks

In editorial offices, the Subbing Spike - a vertical spike attached to a baseplate on which you speared all (paper) press release and stories that probably weren't going to make it into the issue but which you didn't want to throw away, just in case.
How a spiked object was considered a good idea in an office full of drunken hacks is anyone's guess.

But it lives on as the 'Spike' folder on my computer...

stanpotts

I work in the software industry - until earlier this year my place of work had a "library" - a long rack of library shelving packed full of reference manuals, mostly for long obsolete software and operating systems. I was able to "save" a few of the more useful volumes recently as the shelving was dismantled.

simonw

Private offices instead of open plan.

Calling managers Mr Smith, now calling them John*

Calling directors, director etc

Shared landline phones

Stand alone pcs

* Other names are available

GS250

NT4.jpg

Phwooar!!! Even more geeky with your Novell Netware Server. And usually some poor member of staff who was tasked with trying to get it all to work on the strength of being the only one with a PC at home.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
When I started work it was all 80-character punch cards.
This is rather under exposed, but here is a manual card punching machine in, believe it or not, InterCity livery...

Attachments

• Peter Archive 3856.jpg
    Peter Archive 3856.jpg
    838 KB · Views: 63

Ediswan

Established Member
View attachment 123911

Phwooar!!! Even more geeky with your Novell Netware Server. And usually some poor member of staff who was tasked with trying to get it all to work on the strength of being the only one with a PC at home.
I know. I used to get called in to sort out the mess which sometimes resulted. Load everything in right order (determined by trial and error). Fine tune the NDIS configuration. Then add in IBM (SNA ?) and something else I can't reliably recall for added fun. The consolidation on "TCP/IP" removed those particular complications.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Tippex.
(The white stuff that typists used to cover typing errors, and retype the correct word(s) on top of the mistakes.

Computers ("main frame") located in their own air-conditioned rooms or buildings.

Punch tapes or inputting data and/or programmes into those computers.

Typists.

Electro-mechanical calculators.

Slide rules.

Do any drawing offices still use drawing boards, stencils, drawing pens, etc ??

Cloud Strife

Established Member

Well, Adrian Newey of Red Bull in F1 still draws by hand, for instance, he isn't using computers for his concepts.

I work in the software industry - until earlier this year my place of work had a "library" - a long rack of library shelving packed full of reference manuals, mostly for long obsolete software and operating systems. I was able to "save" a few of the more useful volumes recently as the shelving was dismantled.

I still have exactly this, but mostly for my own interest. In fairness, sometimes an old reference guide can point you in the right direction: I've had this recently with an infuriating Windows problem, and an old Win 3.1 reference guide gave me an idea on how to fix it.

Private offices instead of open plan.

Open plan is the work of the devil. Only just last week, I needed a quiet space to go over some plans with some colleagues, and we ended up asking the people upstairs if we could borrow their conference room for an hour because we didn't have any available space.

telstarbox

Established Member
In architecture and construction Autocad or others are ubiquitous because it makes it easier to coordinate drawings between disciplines. It must be one of the biggest ever uplifts in productivity compared to manual technical drawing.

DelayRepay

Established Member
We have been having a clear out at work, because we're moving soon. Our office has been there since the 1960s and we have found...
  • Carbon paper (placed between two sheets of normal paper to create two copies of the same document when using a manual typewriter)
  • Floppy Disks - the old 5.25" ones that were actually floppy
  • Special forms used to take telephone messages for people who were not in the office
  • 'Round Robin' memos which would be passed round the team. Everyone would initial it when they'd read it then pass it to the next person. Now replaced with email distribution lists
As a kid I remember going to my dad's office. It wasn't a large office, but they had a team of typists - what I remember most is the noise of their typewriters all clattering away.

Before Covid, my office had a team of security guards, receptionists, a staffed post room, porters who delivered/collected the mail around the building, a person who dealt with meeting room bookings and setting the rooms up, a maintenance person, and a building manager who was in charge of all those people.

They've all gone now, apart from two of the security guards, who have to staff the reception, deal with the mail and deal with maintenance issues, as well as guarding the building.

The other thing we don't have any more is nameplates on desks - because we no longer have our own desks, we all share so called hot desks.

Status
Not open for further replies.