• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Things to do/see in the Liverpool area?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
507/508's on the way out with new 777's in service on Merseyrail. A good time to ride!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The 'Museum of Liverpool' at the Pier Head or the 'Maritime Museum' at Albert Docks, might both be worth a half day visit.

Alternatively, you could always jump on a train for a local trip to somewhere like Chester or Southport.

The Museum of Liverpool on the waterfront has an interesting display on the much-lamented Liverpool Overhead Railway (and plenty of other stuff).

Djgr

Established Member
Mersey Ferry.

Take the lift to the top of the Anglican cathedral

British Music Experience by the Liver Buildings

A S Leib

A branch of the National Waterways Museum's a ten minute walk from Ellesmere Port station.

Depending on how long you're willing to travel for and if you haven't already been, it's £21.70 without a railcard off-peak and ~2 hours from Lime Street to Llandudno. That being said, the Great Orme Tramway's closed until March and I'm not sure if the cable car's open either (or desirable in January!), so as scenic as the line towards Holyhead is, I'd recommend going in March or later. The same goes for the older Blackpool Trams at this time of year, although for the more modern ones it's ~01:20 from Liverpool Lime Street to Blackpool North and £25.30 for an off-peak day return including trams (and I think buses).

8A Rail

Established Member
Plenty to do and see whether it is railway related or not.

Admire the Three Graces (Liver Building, Cunard Building and Port of Liverpool Building) at the Pier Head including a trip on the Mersey Ferry too. Albert Dock with the Maritime Museum, Beatles Museum, Liverpool of Life Museum includes 'Lion' and the 'Overhead' Coach and elevated section. Liverpool (World) Museum and and Walker Art Gallery in William Brown Street (across the road from Lime St Station). Certainly well worth visiting BOTH Anglican and Catholic Cathedrals for the contrast between them but equally as interesting for different reasons. The Crypt under the Cathedral Cathedral (Paddy's Wigwam) is definitely worth viewing, made from blue (railway) bricks and was the foundation for the original planned cathedral to be built in the 1930's. The sandstone Anglican Cathedral is something else due to the scale of it and if possible take a trip to the top of the tower, you certainly see the whole Mersey skyline (on a good day of course). The two football clubs of course, certainly a tour around Anfield, Liverpool FC is always worth a visit (but I'm bias afterall :lol: ). The list is actually endless to be honest.

Train wise, yes a ride on the Merseyrail system especially while the Class 507's are still around, a trip to West Kirby, New Brighton or Southport may be? The rest of the main rail system is worth a look as at Lime Street, you will (may) see Class 323, 331, 350, 390, 397, 802, 150, 156, 158, 170 and 197 Units. Looking for freight, depending on the time need to travel on the Liverpool to Manchester line (suggest Huyton) to see Biomass, Stone and Intermodal trains, mainly Class 66 hauled at the moment but there is a Class 60 and 69 around too.

Hopefully the above is of some assistance.

childwallblues

Established Member
Plenty to do and see whether it is railway related or not.

Admire the Three Graces (Liver Building, Cunard Building and Port of Liverpool Building) at the Pier Head including a trip on the Mersey Ferry too. Albert Dock with the Maritime Museum, Beatles Museum, Liverpool of Life Museum includes 'Lion' and the 'Overhead' Coach and elevated section. Liverpool (World) Museum and and Walker Art Gallery in William Brown Street (across the road from Lime St Station). Certainly well worth visiting BOTH Anglican and Catholic Cathedrals for the contrast between them but equally as interesting for different reasons. The Crypt under the Cathedral Cathedral (Paddy's Wigwam) is definitely worth viewing, made from blue (railway) bricks and was the foundation for the original planned cathedral to be built in the 1930's. The sandstone Anglican Cathedral is something else due to the scale of it and if possible take a trip to the top of the tower, you certainly see the whole Mersey skyline (on a good day of course). The two football clubs of course, certainly a tour around Anfield, Liverpool FC is always worth a visit (but I'm bias afterall :lol: ). The list is actually endless to be honest.

Train wise, yes a ride on the Merseyrail system especially while the Class 507's are still around, a trip to West Kirby, New Brighton or Southport may be? The rest of the main rail system is worth a look as at Lime Street, you will (may) see Class 323, 331, 350, 390, 397, 802, 150, 156, 158, 170 and 197 Units. Looking for freight, depending on the time need to travel on the Liverpool to Manchester line (suggest Huyton) to see Biomass, Stone and Intermodal trains, mainly Class 66 hauled at the moment but there is a Class 60 and 69 around too.

Hopefully the above is of some assistance.
I think 8Arail has ptetty much covered it.

Shimbleshanks

The Williamson Tunnels are worth a look if they're open when you're there. An eccentric who had a load of tunnels dug out underneath his property in the early 19th Century for no known reason, very close to the cutting into Lime Street, so there is a railway connection. Visitors centre is open Friday, Saturday and Sunday only.

Buzby

The Queensway Tunnel experience is pretty good too - just along from the pier Head, also the Western Approaches museum is worth a look too.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I’ve just discovered they do tours to the top of the Radio City tower. I’ve not done it, but I fully intend to next time I’m here.

Also: go to Port Sunlight. It’s beautiful.

Djgr

Established Member
I wanted to do the Zipline from there (St John’s Tower) to the Central Library roof but the council blocked it!
Mainly because 99% of the population could see that it was a dumb idea!

Djgr

Established Member
The Queensway Tunnel experience is pretty good too - just along from the pier Head, also the Western Approaches museum is worth a look too.
Tunnel experience probably needs booking in advance.

Willie Bee

My wife and I visited Liverpool a couple of months ago.
We bought a Saveaway ticket from Lime Street station which cost £6 for the 'all areas' ticket (elsewhere it is an extra £1 for a plastic card version) that gave us unlimited travel on MerseyRail, buses and even the famous Mersey ferry .. we sailed from Liverpool over to Seacombe, then took a bus to Hamilton Square before getting the train back to Liverpool. That took only about an hour in total, then we had the rest of the day to explore elsewhere.

Djgr

Established Member
My wife and I visited Liverpool a couple of months ago.
We bought a Saveaway ticket from Lime Street station which cost £6 for the 'all areas' ticket (elsewhere it is an extra £1 for a plastic card version) that gave us unlimited travel on MerseyRail, buses and even the famous Mersey ferry .. we sailed from Liverpool over to Seacombe, then took a bus to Hamilton Square before getting the train back to Liverpool. That took only about an hour in total, then we had the rest of the day to explore elsewhere.
Just a heads-up that this would have been the mainline Lime Street ticket office rather than the lower level Merseyrail one (Although personally I would rather pay £1 extra for a souvenir card!)

ian1944

With the Saveaway, Sefton Park for the palm house and (in daff season) the Field of Hope, Speke Hall, and Prescot (once a horological centre, museum has lots on that).

JGurney

If transport oddities appeal to you, you might be interested in a boat replacement bus. Apparently an extremely low tide is forecast for the Mersey Estuary tomorrow morning and the direct 'Commuter' ferries in the morning peak hours will be replaced by buses between the ferry terminals due to lack of water.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
If transport oddities appeal to you, you might be interested in a boat replacement bus.
Of the various possible things to do in the Liverpool area, that one seems to be 'scraping the barrel' somewhat! :rolleyes: