• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thinking of upgrading to a DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi all. I use a Sony Cyber-Shot WSC 14mp compact digital. I love it, but the zoom's quite limited - and can only zoom quickly in/out at one speed, no slow-panning-out-as-the-loco-goes-past - and I feel the time's right to try for something really good. But not expensive. ;)

This is pretty much the same model as i use now:
Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-W330.jpg

And with 720p video it's useful in that area too, but a DSLR with 1080p would be really great. Any advice on different makes, prices, tech specs, etc? I guess £300 is my price limit, I'd prefer one that does most of the work for you *cough* but would be willing to learn about different setting and such.
Thanks in advance.

P.S. here's some examples of when it went right: (blatant photography plug alert ;))
DSC03198.jpg

DSC01321.jpg

DSC03158.jpg

DSC03548.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
Unless you are willing to look at the second hand market, £300 is a little low for a DSLR with HD video capabilities.

Is £300 your absolute limit?

Established Member
Any DLSR that you get is only as good as the lenses you put in front of it. Probably the no.1 mistake is for people to splash out on an expensive camera body but scrimp on the lens.

I'd probably suggest getting a second hand Canon, something such as a 400D, and a couple of decent lenses for around £300.

Jonny

Established Member
Also, the interchangeable lenses are a portal for dirt and grime and need to be looked after - something I am finding out the hard way.

Thanks a lot, I didn't even know they existed...that should give you an idea of my n00b-ness in this area. I forgot to mention, something else I really want is a massive zoom ability/level. 32x sounds like magic at the moment, my digital can do....5x.

Thanks everyone!

philcfc1905

Hi 60163, I would check out the Canon 550D with 18mm to 55mm kit lens. Its coming to the end of its production, so can be picked up for around The £550.00 price mark. Shop around online for the best deals. Warehouse Express or Camera World are good places to start.
I have been using this camera for a year now and have been very pleased with the results. This camera is very useful in low light situations such as main line train stations, and can even be hand held for night shots of still images to a high quality. The point about Lens quality is a good one. More expensive lenses do make for better photos without a doubt, but the kit lens is a good place to start. Upgrade later as and when you can afford to and work out which lenses are good for you.
I have been using the Canon 24mm to 105mm L lens with the 550D and find this one lens does almost everything I require. I do occasionally use the 18mm to 55mm for wide shots.
The point made about dirt is worth keeping in mind. Having owned and used various DSLR'S over the last few years it is important to have a good system in place of where and when to change a lens. A dry place out of the wind is your best bet with the camera body facing downwards towards the ground. However most new DSLR'S have sensor cleaning systems in them and dust spots can be edited out of any photos if you do get them show up. Don't be put off by this issue though as it is only a minor one.
Other things to think about are size and weight, a DSLR can be heavy (depends a lot on the lens you have attached to the body), and will take up more space in your backpack.
Memeory cards and a spare battery are also things you will need to purchase.
A good case to protect your camera is a must. However you if
you purchase a backpack such as the Lowpro Versa backpack or Lowpro Fastpack 200/250 you can use this as your camera case and backpack all in one. These packs have side access so you can get to your camera quickly.
For me the DSLR is the way to go for rail photography but it is not for everybody, make your choices wisely as it can be a very expensive hobby.
I hope this information helps.
All the best Phil.

Last edited:

chrismid259

Dangie has a good suggestion. A bridged camera will be the way forward for you if you don't want to spend a lot of money. To be honest, some bridged cameras are about the same price as entry level DSLRs now.

I used to use a Panasonic Lumix FZ28. I upgraded to a Canon EOS 500D which I've had since January. I love it. The reason I upgraded was because I wanted to be able to purchase different lenses for different types of photography. Something which I haven't done yet, but I can only imagine that it won't be long until I am buying new lenes. Speaking of which...

philcfc1905 said:
I have been using the Canon 24mm to 105mm L lens with the 550D and find this one lens does almost everything I require. I do occasionally use the 18mm to 55mm for wide shots.
What's the 24-105mm like? Good lens?

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Have you thought about a 'Bridge' type camera such as the Panasonic FZ45?

I can recommend the Canon SX30, a bridge camera that is not far off the £300 mark. Has a 35x zoom lens. Picture quality is not as good as a DSLR, but certainly good for a compact. Video is only 720p but seems pretty good.

Certainly a very good lightweight alternative to a DSLR.

91110 leads 1D10 into Leeds Station by Tim R-T-C, on Flickr

507 001

Established Member
If you don't require video, you can snap up a Sony A290, I got mine for £285 brand new and its been brilliant!

I wouldn't. You can get far more competitive bodies for not much more.

Personally I would recommend anything nikon, but then I'm biased (I use them in work and always have done)

another thing to look at is an EVIL, basically a compact with interchangeable lenses. these really are excellent cameras with some fantastic lenses. not sure about geting one within your price range though.

You really would struggle to get anything decent with a decent lens for £300.

Not all cheap lenses are rubbish, nikon's 18-55 kit zoom lens is around £100 new and is considered to be a fantastic lens. It is perfectly possible to scrimp a bit and get a decent set up, hell I should know.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hi Chris, The Canon 24mm to 105mm L Lens is a superb lens. It produces great quality images. I am very happy with it.
Here is a link to a photo I took using this lens.http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=372482.
Hope this link works.

All the best Phil.

you can't seriously be recommending a £900 quid lens for somebody who is just starting out? Be serious now.

Yes the 24-105 lens is fantastic, but in this case is a little bit too far.

That would be like putting a learner driver in a Veyron.

philcfc1905

507 001, I suggest you read all my posts in this thread. That reply was to Chrismid259, about the 24-105L lens not the OP.
The advice to the OP was the kit lens was a good place to start, and the 24-105L lens was something to work up to later.
Hope that clears things up for you.

Last edited:

507 001

Established Member
507 001, I suggest you read all my posts in this thread. That reply was to Chrismid259, about the 24-105L lens not the OP.
The advice to the OP was the kit lens was a good place to start, and the 24-105L lens was something to work up to later.
Hope that clears things up for you.

Ah so it is!
Sorry!

Status
Not open for further replies.