• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Third time lucky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobM73

Hi just wondering if any one can help...I've applied to SWR as an RO2 on 3 occasions. I've been to assessment days twice and then got to interview and been told I'm unsuccessful, most recently in April 2019. I tried again for a different station and I'm going to interview again at the end of the month. My main worry is my interview , due to social distancing measures is being held at the station that has twice decided not to offer me a position. Will the people who interview me be from the station I've applied to or be from the station my interview is at? It's been a long slog to try and get on the railways and I'm just wondering if there's any point just to be told no again? I've been in security for a long time and have years of customer experience and decent references, clear DBS etc so just don't know why I can't seem to get a job with SWR? Any advice gratefully received.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1725RJ

Good luck for your interview Rob. Shows huge resilience and determination to go for something three times. I’m sure your interviewers will look upon this favourably. Stay confident!

RobM73

Good luck for your interview Rob. Shows huge resilience and determination to go for something three times. I’m sure your interviewers will look upon this favourably. Stay confident!
Thank you. Fingers crossed....

1725RJ

Ive just tried to call SWR HR (Recruitment) for an update. It’s saying I’ve dialled an incorrect number. Has this changed?

Stigy

Established Member
Hi just wondering if any one can help...I've applied to SWR as an RO2 on 3 occasions. I've been to assessment days twice and then got to interview and been told I'm unsuccessful, most recently in April 2019. I tried again for a different station and I'm going to interview again at the end of the month. My main worry is my interview , due to social distancing measures is being held at the station that has twice decided not to offer me a position. Will the people who interview me be from the station I've applied to or be from the station my interview is at? It's been a long slog to try and get on the railways and I'm just wondering if there's any point just to be told no again? I've been in security for a long time and have years of customer experience and decent references, clear DBS etc so just don't know why I can't seem to get a job with SWR? Any advice gratefully received.
Firstly, it’s great you’ve not given up, so keep going, whatever happens!

It is often extremely difficult to get a job on the railway, with most vacancies having loads of applicants. It’s arguably even more difficult for jobs such as RO as there’s often only one available position (whereas Guard/Driver vacancies are usually part of a large intake).

It may be absolutely nothing to do with you as to why you’re not being offered a job, just that there were stronger candidates at the time. Have you asked for feedback from interviews?

Regarding the interviewers, it’ll usually be the manager from the am station you’re applying for, plus one other (maybe someone from HR, or any other manager to be honest).

The fact that you’re getting as far as interview stage is an achievement in itself to be honest, so bear with it and definitely don’t give up! Good luck.

RobM73

Firstly, it’s great you’ve not given up, so keep going, whatever happens!

It is often extremely difficult to get a job on the railway, with most vacancies having loads of applicants. It’s arguably even more difficult for jobs such as RO as there’s often only one available position (whereas Guard/Driver vacancies are usually part of a large intake).

It may be absolutely nothing to do with you as to why you’re not being offered a job, just that there were stronger candidates at the time. Have you asked for feedback from interviews?

Regarding the interviewers, it’ll usually be the manager from the am station you’re applying for, plus one other (maybe someone from HR, or any other manager to be honest).

The fact that you’re getting as far as interview stage is an achievement in itself to be honest, so bear with it and definitely don’t give up! Good luck.
Hi Stigy
Thanks yes I'm finding it a bit of a trek and I'm hoping that my persistence is going to be seen as a plus. It's something I've been wanting to do for a while and it will be far more interesting than my current role as well as being better paid, decent pension and perks.
I'll just go to the interview and do my best and pray that this time I'll have done enough.

DonkeyKong

Which station are you applying for? Dont put yourself down too much re you're interview technique. More often than not it's because the manager already has an internal candidate lined up

BTU

Talk about customer safety and your experience tell them you see it as job progression and a new challenge tell them that you can contribute to their already good reputation possibly mention any non technical skills you have they are hot on NTS on the railway tell them you enjoy wearing a uniform and being in a customer facing role talk about safety and what you would do to keep it maintained tell them about your experience and what you bring to the role, remember STAR situation task action result thats what they look for amongst other things etc... hope theres a few ideas for you, good luck.

RobM73

Hi guys sorry I didn't realised you had posted til now. Yes he seemed like a nice guy. Interview seemed to go well, they made lots of notes and it was pretty relaxed. Just have to hope I said the things they were looking for. Just a waiting game now.

DonkeyKong

Hi guys sorry I didn't realised you had posted til now. Yes he seemed like a nice guy. Interview seemed to go well, they made lots of notes and it was pretty relaxed. Just have to hope I said the things they were looking for. Just a waiting game now.

Any news?

Status
Not open for further replies.