• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thornaby to London

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talent

Dear all,

I'd like to go from Thornaby or Stockton to London on Saturday, September 28th (morning). The cheapest ticket I find is £102.50 (advance). Wtf? Any suggestions how to get a cheaper ticket?

The only option I see is going to York very early in the morning and then taking a coach to London :(

EDIT: I forgot splitticketing... £50.20 seems somehow reasonable...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
Eaglescliffe to Kings Cross advance with Grand Central that morning is £55.00. I'm sure it can be done cheaper than that though.

Do you not have a railcard?

Veteran Member
LNER Advance tickets for that date are not available yet.
https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/44703.aspx

LNER have just been released for the previous Saturday and start at £36-odd.
Engineering work means a slightly revised timetable and fewer trains are running.

It also explains why Advances have not been available till now - UK TOCs (like some other countries but not all) don't like to release them until the exact times have been confirmed.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
LNER aim to offer weekday Advance fares usually up to three months in advance, but weekends are finalised later than usual due to uncertainty over engineering works.

At the time of writing their website lists 28/29 September and 5/6 October as currently unavailable.

For an idea of what you can expect, I did a search for the previous Saturday and found £27 fares departing Thornaby at 0554 (!), 0628, 1001 or departing Stockport at 0944, 1046.

Grand Central run direct trains from Eaglescliffe, but this increases the price to £49.

Last edited:

Talent

OK, I think I'll get the ticket from Eaglescliffe. I'm slightly afraid that all advance tickets are sold out and I have to buy an Anytime...

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm slightly afraid that all advance tickets are sold out and I have to buy an Anytime...

Advance tickets have not been released for sale yet as per the LNER website. It is not a case that they have all sold out they haven't been offered for sale yet. Whilst it's your prerogative to purchase the ticket from Eaglescliffe and "lock-in" a price that you're willing to pay I am relatively certain that you'll probably overpay as the prices that @yorkie quoted will almost certainly be available once LNER tickets do go on sale.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
OK, I think I'll get the ticket from Eaglescliffe. I'm slightly afraid that all advance tickets are sold out and I have to buy an Anytime...
I know they are not sold out because the website states this and the person who makes them available has confirmed this too.

Talent

OK, thanks.

As you may have noticed English isn't my mother tongue ;). I meant I'm afraid that the LNER advance tickets will have been sold out (that cannot be right...lol) in the future without being able to get hold of one.

But I think I'll just wait for the LNER tickets...

Status
Not open for further replies.