• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Three Bridges - Chichester - any reasonable route query

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbouffant

Hello there.
My 16 year old lad purchased an Off-Peak Day Return today (Monday 10th April) from Three Bridges to Chichester, using his 16-17 saver. Cost was £9.65.
On the outward leg he went via Horsham.
He wants to return this afternoon with a break of journey at Brighton. Is this route/break valid with his ticket?
The only restriction shown on the ticket is B3 which I think just restricts travel in peak hours.
Many thanks for your help!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
There is no problem at all returning via Brighton, nor breaking the journey there, on a ticket from Three Bridges to Chichester.

island

Veteran Member
Looks fine to me; NRE will happily offer the route for that fare.

"Any reasonable route" went out in the 90s though :lol:

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Looks fine to me; NRE will happily offer the route for that fare.

"Any reasonable route" went out in the 90s though :lol:
Permitted between Three Bridges and Ford Group routeing points on map LB. LP gives the route via Horsham.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Hello there.
My 16 year old lad purchased an Off-Peak Day Return today (Monday 10th April) from Three Bridges to Chichester, using his 16-17 saver. Cost was £9.65.
He wants to return this afternoon with a break of journey at Brighton. Is this route/break valid with his ticket?
The only restriction shown on the ticket is B3 which I think just restricts travel in peak hours.

Yes that's absolutely fine, and tbh I highly recommend it too, Brighton is a nice city with so much to do, so I'm sure he'll enjoy it!

Permitted between Three Bridges and Ford Group routeing points on map LB. LP gives the route via Horsham.

Out of interest what resource are you using to find codes like LB and LP?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hello there.
The old system of "any reasonable route" was scrapped at privatisation, being replaced with the Routeing Guide.

Travel via Brighton or even Lewes is permitted under map LB, as well as the shortest route via Horsham.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation

Restriction code B3 doesn't permit travel on Monday-Fridays (unless they're bank holidays) in the morning peak until 09:00.

So if your son wants to travel during the afternoon peak then he can do that

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Out of interest what resource are you using to find codes like LB and LP?
The routeing guide is available at https://data.atoc.org/routeing-guide
Routeing Guide Data
This guide shows the full range of permitted routes available for use with tickets on
the National Rail network. The content has been approved by the Department for
Transport. If you are planning a journey we would strongly advise you to make use of
the Journey Planner at www.nationalrail.co.uk. Any ticket indicated for use in
conjunction with a particular journey when using the Journey Planner will
automatically be valid for the route and service indicated.

PLEASE NOTE this guide is of necessity a complex document and the Journey
Planner should be used to validate any intended route (including relevant ‘via’ points)
to ensure that it can be used with your ticket. This is especially necessary if using
this guide to identify whether an indirect or unusual route is valid for use.

TO USE THIS GUIDE: Follow the steps below to identify the permitted routes for the
journey that you wish to make. Please ensure that you read the instructions on how
to use the National Routeing Guide before you begin the search.

At a basic level, you check the routeing points https://data.atoc.org/rp_calc
then the available routes http://iblocks-rg-publication.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/yellow_pages.pdf
then the maps https://data.atoc.org/routeing-maps
but there are more detailed instructions on the pages.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation

fandroid

Established Member
You can get fairly good idea of permitted routes by inserting the desired break point in the "via" slot on the journey planner when you buy tickets online. If the ticket offered is the same as the one offered when omitting that step then the route is a valid one. The Rail UK Forums ticket site allows you to enter several "via" points. Most ticket websites just allow one.

Status
Not open for further replies.