• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket acceptance on LU to any zone 1 station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamiescott1

Yesterday due to issues on chiltern, trains south were terminating at west ruislip with ticket acceptance on LU from west ruislip to marylebone.
My usual journey is chiltern to marylebone then LU to hampstead.
So yesterday I took central line from west ruislip (where my chiltern train terminated) and for convenience I got to Tottenham court road and asked if I could exit here with my ticket acceptance and then reenter tapping in (I use pay as go for tube) as I will be going to zone 3 and ticket acceptance was only to zone 1 so I want to pay for the part which ticket acceptance is not valid.

It took a lot of explaining to say that yes ticket acceptance is to marylebone but Tottenham court road is in zone 1 (same as marylebone) and I was already inconvenienced by the issue and dont want to double back on myself and go to marylebone to then repeat the journey in opposite direction

Should I technically of gone from west ruislip to marylebone or is any zone 1 station acceptable and I should of not got the hassle I did for being honest and paying the correct fare to zone 3.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Yesterday due to issues on chiltern, trains south were terminating at west ruislip with ticket acceptance on LU from west ruislip to marylebone.
So yesterday I took central line from west ruislip (where my chiltern train terminated) and for convenience I got to Tottenham court road and asked if I could exit here with my ticket acceptance and then reenter tapping in (I use pay as go for tube) as I will be going to zone 3 and ticket acceptance was only to zone 1 so I want to pay for the part which ticket acceptance is not valid.

It took a lot of explaining to say that yes ticket acceptance is to marylebone but Tottenham court road is in zone 1 (same as marylebone) and I was already inconvenienced by the issue and dont want to double back on myself and go to marylebone to then repeat the journey in opposite direction

Should I technically of gone from west ruislip to marylebone or is any zone 1 station acceptable and I should of not got the hassle I did for being honest and paying the correct fare to zone 3.
If ticket acceptance was only specifically to Marylebone then you were correct to 'inconvenience' yourself by unnecessarily exiting and re-entering the station, to avoid any potential issues upon exiting with a NR ticket at Hampstead - unless you had previously been authorised (preferably in writing) that you didn't need to do this.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

I concur with the previous post; you do unfortunately have to inconvenience yourself further at Marylebone. If you really don't want to exit there, the only other solution would be to either tap in/out at West Ruislip (but this would cost more) or to get a paper ticket (you could get a through ticket to cover at least Zone U12, but again this may cost more than the combination of paper ticket to London Terminals plus Oyster).

The railway offers no provision that keeps inconvenience to a minimum while not charging you extra; it's not like any other service industry in that they aren't bothered if they annoy their customers. There isn't really any other options; they know they have a captive market. Sorry!

island

Veteran Member
You are lucky not to have encountered a revenue control inspector at Tottenham Court Road as you could have gotten yourself an £80 Penalty Fare.

Jamiescott1

I had no issue exiting at TCR. It was the fact that the diversion had already added 45 minutes to my journey and it was expected that I would of technically had to add an addition 15 minutes to divert to marylebone and then double back on myself (even though they're both in the same zone)

Status
Not open for further replies.