• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket barriers to be unused at Kings Cross

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Back to "normal" this evening, with two gates set against the flow at the eastern end. Hope it continues - it's a little thing, but it really makes a difference.

As normal this morning - there was a no entry sign as you approached the "arrivals" concourse but two gates set to that direction. I'd say about 1/3 of the people off my East Coast train went that way. Interestingly hardly anyone did from the FCC train that arrived just after us.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stut

Established Member
As normal this morning - there was a no entry sign as you approached the "arrivals" concourse but two gates set to that direction. I'd say about 1/3 of the people off my East Coast train went that way. Interestingly hardly anyone did from the FCC train that arrived just after us.

Ah, I'd say about 1/3 of the people off my FCC train went through to the western concourse! (It was fast from the 'wade, though, dunno if that makes a difference...)

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Ah, I'd say about 1/3 of the people off my FCC train went through to the western concourse! (It was fast from the 'wade, though, dunno if that makes a difference...)

I was wondering if few people wanted to go that way or if, as more regular commuters than the average EC passenger from Yorkshire they might have been "conditioned" last week.

pete_m911

Are they? First Group proposed installing ticket barriers in their West Coast bid but Virgin did not propose doing that so it can't have been a franchise requirement.

Agreed, but they are currently on a management contract and have agreed to phase them in. Lots of debate regarding suitability, esp. on platforms 1-3 where the ramp is quite severe.

Last edited:

Marton

I don't know, but I am used to EC who give tickets back, and I (and others) have had a telling off by rude FGW barrier staff who said it was obvious that tickets should not be put through the barrier if you may need to use the ticket for a delay compensation or expenses claim.:roll:

Same with ScotRail. Has happened to me at Glasgow QS when on an EC route from the NE and connections and Waverley when forced onto WC by ECML failure when travelling from London.

Once I realised and looked for a manned barrier there never seems to be anyone near to let me through
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
While Northern claim tickets cannot be retained by the passenger for the purpose of an expenses claim and you need to ask for a receipt.

When trains are booked on line and tickets collected at stations there is no proper receipt,just the total cost of the transaction, no from A to B and no breakdown.

Pointless for audited expense claims, especially if buying personal tickets at the same time, or claiming different journeys from different sources.

The emailed receipts are no help as they can be edited in any word processing package.

johntea

Established Member
My experience today...

(East Coast)

Full ticket inspection between Leeds and Doncaster, then a couple of brief passes through the train on further legs of the journey.

Kings Cross the barriers were closed and manned! Oh, apart from those 2 wide open unstaffed ones leading straight into the concourse where you could then exit anyway. Why bother having staff manning the other gates if there are 2 open ones for people to walk straight through?

Coming home, a very detailed brief from the train guard at the start of the journey regarding ticketing but no ticket inspection actually carried out! The voice changed after Stevenage too so no idea what happened to the original train guard who did mention he was on right through to Leeds :D

jon0844

Veteran Member
On Saturday even FCC had the wide access gates open while the others were all closed.

What's that all about? Sure, most people still used the gates but it didn't take long for many to walk straight through.

Status
Not open for further replies.