• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket Barriers

Status
Not open for further replies.

1e10

Sounds like the same plan as last year then. It was thorough but organised and well-managed, and ensured that people didn't take advantage of the busy trains to treat themselves to a free ride.

On the XC HST there was a ticket check in coaches F and E but from that point on the guard couldn't get past the people standing in the vestibules until after Dawlish.

A lady at Dawlish station was discussing the day with another staff member and commented on how the day had gone better than last year and put it down to The Red Arrows display being earlier on in the day.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Drsatan

Established Member
Back on topic, is it the DfT which insists on the installation of ticket barriers at stations (as stated in a franchise agreement) or does the TOC opt to install them?

The reason I'm curious is because I can name one example where the TOC wanted to install barriers (EMT at Sheffield), and one example where it is likely that the DfT insisted that barriers be installed (barriers were installed at Salisbury station in 2009)

In the case of Salisbury, I recall the station manager telling me in 2006 (I was on work experience with SWT) that barriers wouldn't be installed at Salisbury because there were three entrances into the station: two at the station forecourt, and one from the disused platform 1. In 2009, barriers were installed at the station and all bar one entrance (the one onto the station forecourt) were closed.

Muzer

Established Member
Back on topic, is it the DfT which insists on the installation of ticket barriers at stations (as stated in a franchise agreement) or does the TOC opt to install them?

The reason I'm curious is because I can name one example where the TOC wanted to install barriers (EMT at Sheffield), and one example where it is likely that the DfT insisted that barriers be installed (barriers were installed at Salisbury station in 2009)

In the case of Salisbury, I recall the station manager telling me in 2006 (I was on work experience with SWT) that barriers wouldn't be installed at Salisbury because there were three entrances into the station: two at the station forecourt, and one from the disused platform 1. In 2009, barriers were installed at the station and all bar one entrance (the one onto the station forecourt) were closed.
Annoyingly for me, because this happened right at the point where it would have been beneficial for me to use the north (platform 1) entrance.

Status
Not open for further replies.