• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket - breaks in journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mtrain

Hi. Can someone tell if it is at all possible to do this journey on a
LEDBURY TO BRISTOL day return. I know the routes are fine it’s how I break the journey

Using the outward portion
1: Hereford to Newport
2:Newport to BPW
using the return
3: BPW to Cheltenham
4: Cheltenham to Ledbury
Using the outward portion
5: Ledbury to Hereford

thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JB_B

Established Member
That wouldn't be valid - see national rail conditions of travel condition 11.3 :-

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/National Rail Conditions of Travel.pdf

"11.3. A return Ticket must be used in the correct sequence (you must use the
outward portion of your return Ticket before you use the return portion). The
outward portion of a return Ticket is no longer valid for travel once the return
portion has been used"

Mtrain

Thank you I thought it wasn’t just would have saved a lot of money.

pelli

Just to be clear: You can still do the first four steps on that ticket ("starting short" at Hereford -> Newport -> Bristol, then returning Bristol -> Cheltenham -> Ledbury). You just need to buy a separate single ticket to cover the final hop from Ledbury back to Hereford, which may or may not cost less than the "lot of money" you're saving...

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Wouldn't a Hereford to Bristol return do the trick? Isn't a route from Bristol to Hereford via Ledbury valid?

JB_B

Established Member
Wouldn't a Hereford to Bristol return do the trick? Isn't a route from Bristol to Hereford via Ledbury valid?

Unfortunately, I don't think that's a valid route.

a) The only mapped route is on map MP - that only allows via Newport not Ledbury;

b) The shortest route is also via Abergavenny - that's a lot more than 3m shorter than any route via Ledbury;

c) I don't believe there's a through train via Ledbury (I could be wrong - I've not checked exhaustively); and

d) I don't think there's any easement that would help (ditto)

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Unfortunately, I don't think that's a valid route.

a) The only mapped route is on map MP - that only allows via Newport not Ledbury;

b) The shortest route is also via Abergavenny - that's a lot more than 3m shorter than any route via Ledbury;

c) I don't believe there's a through train via Ledbury (I could be wrong - I've not checked exhaustively); and

d) I don't think there's any easement that would help (ditto)

Aha - sorry - I'm no expert. I just looked at a map and used my (erroneous) common sense!

I'd found in the past that some permitted routes were much much more varied than I'd expected (eg from the middle of the Heart of Wales Line to London, you can zig-zag all over the place, via Swansea, or Crewe, Newport [from Swansea or Shrewsbury], on all sorts of routes through the midlands or southern England, and so on), and in my amateurish way I imagined that most routes were that flexible...

Veteran Member
Aha - sorry - I'm no expert. I just looked at a map and used my (erroneous) common sense!

I'd found in the past that some permitted routes were much much more varied than I'd expected (eg from the middle of the Heart of Wales Line to London, you can zig-zag all over the place, via Swansea, or Crewe, Newport [from Swansea or Shrewsbury], on all sorts of routes through the midlands or southern England, and so on), and in my amateurish way I imagined that most routes were that flexible...
Ledbury to Bristol is equidistant via the two routes, but Hereford is 70m direct vs 100m via Worcester.
By contrast the various HoW main routes to London are within 10m (Crewe longest, Llanelli shortest to the midpoint).

Mtrain

Ledbury to Bristol via Hereford and via Worcester are valid routes. Just cheaper to do it that way then buy a ticket from Hereford to Cheltenham Spa

Mtrain

It would have been a £1.20 saving even if I did but the extra ticket the final leg. Still worth doing

Status
Not open for further replies.