• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket machine visibility

Dr Hoo

Established Member
There is a pictogram that has been used for the last 60 years or so…

It shouldn’t exactly require much thought to realise that a sign pointing to the ticket machine(s) is a good idea - particularly where you haven’t walked right past it on entering the station. Having signs that show you from a distance whether it is actually working is probably asking too much!
The Northern ones that I'm familiar with have the 'green halo' (or orange/red if its failed) that guards often look out for but I can accept that it isn't especially conspicuous.

I always thought that having the delivery slot marked "Tickets" was a bit of a clue that the machines don't sell chocolate but again I suppose that it could be more visible.

(Attached photo shows a machine at a Hope Valley station with the halo and delivery slot visible.)

1716200096592.jpeg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The exile

Established Member
The Northern ones that I'm familiar with have the 'green halo' (or orange/red if its failed) that guards often look out for but I can accept that it isn't especially conspicuous.

I always thought that having the delivery slot marked "Tickets" was a bit of a clue that the machines don't sell chocolate but again I suppose that it could be more visible.

(Attached photo shows a machine at a Hope Valley station with the halo and delivery slot visible.)

View attachment 158409
My comment was a consequence of arriving at a minor two platform station of the sort that has direct access to both platforms from the outside world (can’t now remember where it was but think it was Southern). No immediate sign of ticket machine on “my” platform but very obvious on the other one. Hurry over to other platform and buy ticket. Turn round to see the TVM on the original platform nestling beside the shelter which had hidden it from view from the platform entrance.

randyrippley

Established Member

View attachment 158409

That's a good example
it needs a big sign on top which reads "tickets" from 25 or more yards away
plus arrows pointing to it

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
That's a good example
it needs a big sign on top which reads "tickets" from 25 or more yards away
plus arrows pointing to it
I concur also. Think we may have a general consensus. Something 'old school' like the example shown below might work quite well at a location such as Carnforth.

Tickets.png
(Pic of 'Tickets' signage - Source: West Midlands Railway)