• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket pickup problems at Huddersfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
With an automatic £80 award to the passenger? ;)
As an alternative, we could have a Penalty Fare system that works in reverse - passengers are able to make a court claim for £20 or twice the cost of the ticket they were made to buy, whichever is higher.

Oh no, let's get back to reality...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Update. Received a placatory email from Northern in response to my asking for clarification of policy, inclusive of the following:

"While I am sorry to hear of the experience that you have had, under the Railway byelaws it is a requirement to display a valid ticket when asked by a member of the railway. As you were unable to do so at the time the conductor was correct to request payment of another ticket. The onus is on the customer to ensure that they have everything required for travel when making a journey on the railway."

The upshot seems to be that unlike other TOCs, if travelling with Northern I have to buy another ticket in the event of ticket system failure (this being cheaper than a smartphone or printer, neither of which I own, to otherwise prove purchase). Further, it apparently doesn't matter what station staff advise.

I think buying in advance of travel if my journey is with Northern is not worth the hassle, and I will seek alternatives where possible.
I recommend you consider doing the following:
  • Contacting your MP (several forum members have reported concerns about this company to their MPs lately);
  • Refer the case to Transport Focus
  • Reply to Northern and ask why Northern do not comply with the Ticket on Departure Code of Practice (RSP Document: RSPS1002)
Let us know when there are further developments and I will reopen the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.