• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket Query - Linlithgow to Motherwell via Edinburgh

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbreckers

Hey folks,

Quick question for those that understand ticketing and routeing and all that.

Tomorrow myself and friend are travelling from Linlithgow to Motherwell via Edinburgh Waverley. Ticket Route just shows Any Permitted.

Is this ticket valid for the journey? (All the passenger assistance bookings are already made so im hoping so)

Ticket Details:

Anytime Day Single DSB

From Linlithgow to Motherwell

Route:
Any Permitted

Price:
£6.10

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
Yes, perfectly valid as far as I can see. All journey planners I've checked will offer you several itineraries via Haymarket/Edinburgh, and the routeing guide confirms travel between Edinburgh Group (of which Linlithgow is a member*) and Motherwell Group is valid as described on map EC.

(*Linlithgow is also a member of the Falkirk Group - that map permits travel via Glasgow and via Coatbridge).

mbreckers

Yes, perfectly valid as far as I can see. All journey planners I've checked will offer you several itineraries via Haymarket/Edinburgh, and the routeing guide confirms travel between Edinburgh Group (of which Linlithgow is a member*) and Motherwell Group is valid as described on map EC.

(*Linlithgow is also a member of the Falkirk Group - that map permits travel via Glasgow and via Coatbridge).

ok thank you :)

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor

That's not quite correct; Linlithgow is associated with Falkirk and Edinburgh but is not a member of either group.

Falkirk is not an appropriate routeing point so you can't look at routes from Falkirk to Motherwell.

Edinburgh is an appropriate routeing point but due to the fares only for journeys that avoid Glasgow.

That leaves the route via Edinburgh and Carstairs on map EC, the route via Edinburgh and Shotts on EG and the route via Falkirk and Cumbernauld, also on EG.

Any other route offered by a journey planner is also valid.

John @ home

Established Member
Linlithgow is associated with Falkirk and Edinburgh but is not a member of either group.
Agreed.
Falkirk is not an appropriate routeing point
Agreed.
so you can't look at routes from Falkirk to Motherwell.
It would be more accurate to say that one shouldn't examine mapped routes Falkirk Group - Motherwell Group when calculating permitted routes Linlithgow - Motherwell.

Linlithgow - Falkirk Group - Cumbernauld - Motherwell is a permitted route because it is the shortest route by rail. See http://bukitlawang.com/routes/routes.aspx.
Edinburgh is an appropriate routeing point but due to the fares only for journeys that avoid Glasgow.
Glasgow Group is an intermediate routeing point on some (but not all) mapped routes Edinburgh Group - Motherwell Group. I'm not aware that fares to or from intermediate routeing points play any part in the calculation of mapped permitted routes, other than in the calculation of validity of tickets routed via, or avoiding, a particular location. That does not apply to this Linlithgow - Motherwell ticket, which is routed "Any Permitted". The need to avoid doubling back does, however, constrain some mapped routes via Glasgow Group.

Status
Not open for further replies.