• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket splitting points for Atherstone to Holyhead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sn1975

Hi all,

Can someone advise me please the ticket splitting points for Atherstone to Holyhead?

Am I right in thinking it’s Stafford and Crewe?

Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
It probably depends on your dates and times of travel, including whether or not you are going out and back on the same day.

Looking at weekdays in the second week of November, splitting at Crewe may be all that's needed: using Advance tickets Atherstone-Crewe and Crewe-Holyhead, the total (for a return journey) could be just £32.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi all,

Can someone advise me please the ticket splitting points for Atherstone to Holyhead?

Am I right in thinking it’s Stafford and Crewe?

Many thanks.
You can "split" (ie, use a combination of tickets for one journey) anywhere you wish!;)

One of the key factors will be whether or not you're travelling at any time which may be considered 'peak' time for any part of the route (this varies depending on the origin & destination) and whether you want a single or return and whether any Railcards are held (especially Railcards which might have particular restrictions).

Have you tried trainsplit.com? If so, what did it come up with? If not, give it a go.

Admittedly Trainsplit doesn't always find the most appropriate combination of fares to meet everyone's needs as it's still in an early stage of development, but it gives it a good go and usually gets good results!

Unless someone else has done this particular journey before and/or done a lot of potentially time-consuming research, it's difficult to see how someone could give a better result than Trainsplit.

Romilly

Established Member
On this occasion, trainsplit says there are no tickets available for the journey, even though booking sites (including Raileasy and VT East Coast) offer a range of through tickets. Hence my suggestion that £7 for Atherstone-Crewe, £10 for Crewe-Holyhead, £8 for Holyhead-Crewe and £7 for Crewe-Atherstone (all Advance tickets - total £32 if booked now for 10 weeks ahead) might be a useful benchmark.

Status
Not open for further replies.