• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ticket valid for intermediate stopping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mal75756

Hi All, my question is, and I would ask the local booking office but they have been wrong so many times I have no confidence in their answers.
If I bought a day return ticket, and not one that limits me to a particular train, to go from say Doncaster to Peterborough. Would it still be valid if I got off at Retford spent an hour their and then got on another train and got off at Newark and spent an hour their, before finally getting on a train to Peterborough to complete the first leg of my journey. I guess any of the trains I got on would need to have stopped at Doncaster and obviously be stopping at Peterborough.

Basically breaking up my journey with intermediate stops.

Thanks and appreciate your answers as always.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
As long as your ticket is valid for break of journey and you are travelling on a route (and operator) permitted for that ticket then there is no problem with what you suggest. For the intermediate parts of the journey there is no need for the trains to call at the origin and/or destination points of your journey - so, for example, you could stop off at Retford and then travel to Grantham using a Hull Trains service which does not subsequently call at Peterborough, and continue to Peterborough using an East Midlands Railway service which has not called at Doncaster.

Mal75756

Hi Haywain and thank you for your response. You say "As long as your ticket is valid for break of journey", are there specific tickets for break in journey or is it a type of ticket e.g. day return or not an Advanced ticket.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Hi Haywain and thank you for your response. You say "As long as your ticket is valid for break of journey", are there specific tickets for break in journey or is it a type of ticket e.g. day return or not an Advanced ticket.

Anytime and Anytime Day tickets plus Season Tickets always allow break of journey on a Permitted Route (but arguably not if the route is only valid by virtue of being a direct train between the two points on the ticket). There was only one exception to this which was through Rail Sail tickets which were issued as Anytimes but weren't really Anytimes; I don't know if this is still the case.

Off Peak and Off Peak Day tickets almost always allow break of journey on the return leg but not the outward. Some allow it on the outward as well. A very small number, primarily in Wales, don't allow it in either direction. These latter ones are code 8A.

Super Off Peak tickets vary.

Advance tickets never allow Break of Journey.

The restriction code on the ticket (visible on brfares.com among other places) plus the ticket type code determines whether it is allowed or not.

Because this is all so complex, the de-facto situation is that staff are unlikely to bother you unless you do something really ridiculous.

Mal75756

Thank you Bletchleyite. I will take a look at brfares.com as it could nail this. Nice to have a positive answer to your question. The reason for asking was that I was thinking of taking a rover or ranger ticket but then thought it may be cheaper to go to a certain station but break out of the journey to spend some time at an intermediate station. Then on the return, depending on time break again. Could be a viable option

Route
LNER TRAINS ONLY​
Validity
BOOKDTRAINONLY
(no break of journey)
Restrictions
GA IEC ADVANCE​
Adult
10p

I have just looked on brfares.com. and done a search from Doncaster to Peterborough and found the above option, I realise not break of journey but seriously is it 10p to travel. Or have I just blown a gasket and missed something obvious

jfollows

Established Member
Thank you Bletchleyite. I will take a look at brfares.com as it could nail this. Nice to have a positive answer to your question. The reason for asking was that I was thinking of taking a rover or ranger ticket but then thought it may be cheaper to go to a certain station but break out of the journey to spend some time at an intermediate station. Then on the return, depending on time break again. Could be a viable option

Route
LNER TRAINS ONLY​
Validity
BOOKDTRAINONLY
(no break of journey)
Restrictions
GA IEC ADVANCE​
Adult
10p

I have just looked on brfares.com. and done a search from Doncaster to Peterborough and found the above option, I realise not break of journey but seriously is it 10p to travel. Or have I just blown a gasket and missed something obvious
You won't be able to buy this ticket, it's loaded in the fares system for a different reason, such as to allow LNER to issue it as a "complimentary" ticket under special circumstances (I'm guessing). It won't appear on any booking system, nor will you be able to buy it at a station. Brfares.com is very useful but just reports what it sees in a database. It's very useful for many reasons, such as researching ticket types and their restrictions as you have found.

Mal75756

Damn, I will take my coat off now, I was on my way to Peterborough. lol, thank you for explaining that.

robbeech

Established Member
To talk specifically about that journey, you might find that the price of the ticket between those stations is quite higher than the sum of its parts. So buying a Peterborough to Grantham ticket and a Grantham to Retford ticket etc might be cheaper, but it might not. This varies between routes so you’d have to check (and if you did this you’d have to check the restrictions on all of the tickets).
it’s also worth pointing out that trains between Retford and Newark are 2 hourly. There’s also nothing to stop you using a different ticket in the middle. So you could do Doncaster to Retford, then have a separate ticket to Worksop and have time there before heading back to Retford and continuing with your main ticket. It’s just an example and not a suggestion of anywhere to go.

Mal75756

that is a very good point and one that I will have to check, so basically I need to check, the price of a rover/ranger ticket, the price of start to end of destination, and finally where I would likely stop off and when. So basically some real planning before I set off.
Thanks guys I have received plenty of things to think about before I head off. Doing some initial planning on trainline.com to get ideas I noticed a lot of places are saying, do not do non essential travel, so it may be some time before I can put this into practice to but nice to have the ideas.

robbeech

Established Member
that is a very good point and one that I will have to check, so basically I need to check, the price of a rover/ranger ticket, the price of start to end of destination, and finally where I would likely stop off and when. So basically some real planning before I set off.
Thanks guys I have received plenty of things to think about before I head off. Doing some initial planning on trainline.com to get ideas I noticed a lot of places are saying, do not do non essential travel, so it may be some time before I can put this into practice to but nice to have the ideas.
Without wishing to stray off topic, the whole essential / non essential travel thing is heavily discussed on this forum and we have a variety of opinions ranging from "Don't leave the house" to "it's your right to get on a train so you should at every opportunity" and everywhere in between. You'd potentially be travelling into / through some Tier 3 areas, you'd be wise to bear that in mind and make your own mind up based on your views, vulnerability level and the rules in place at the time of travel. One of the key hurdles you may find is that if you stop in a Tier 3 area, there might be less things to do due to local closures so it may be a waste of time even if it doesn't negatively affect safety for example.

island

Veteran Member
Hi All, my question is, and I would ask the local booking office but they have been wrong so many times I have no confidence in their answers.
If I bought a day return ticket, and not one that limits me to a particular train, to go from say Doncaster to Peterborough. Would it still be valid if I got off at Retford spent an hour their and then got on another train and got off at Newark and spent an hour their, before finally getting on a train to Peterborough to complete the first leg of my journey. I guess any of the trains I got on would need to have stopped at Doncaster and obviously be stopping at Peterborough.
You won’t be able to do that, as there are no day return tickets from Doncaster to Peterborough.

The return tickets you can get, namely the off-peak return and anytime short return, do not restrict break of journey.

As long as you do not double back on yourself improperly, there is no requirement that the trains you use for subsets of your journey call at either Doncaster or Peterborough. You could, for example, travel Doncaster to Newark, Newark to Grantham, and Grantham to Peterborough on separate trains and there is no need for the Newark to Grantham train to have called at Doncaster nor to call at Peterborough. (I do not know if there are any such trains, but the entitlement is there.)

Status
Not open for further replies.