• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tickets to/from London for Eurostar connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBuchananGB

Hello. I have booked a trip on Eurostar to Brussels and back. Out on the 15.04 on 13 March, back arriving 13.57 on 18 March. It is my intention to travel to St. Pancras from Southport (SOP) by departing SOP 10.05 changing at Wigan, departing Northwestern at 11.13 arriving Euston 13.12. This seems to allow enough slack. For the return I am hoping to catch the 14.30 from Euston, then the 16.51 from Wigan Wallgate. I have a Senior Railcard.
It seems that tickets from SOP to London for those dates are not readily available at the moment. Any suggestions as to the best deal for tickets, and when they might be available.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You will probably be best off waiting until Avanti release Advance tickets. You can sign up for alerts for this here.

Whilst you can get tickets to London International CIV, Avanti has made a right horlicks of the ones they set - they increased the single fares to 70% of the return, in line with their wider "single leg" pricing policy, but then deleted the returns. So now two London International CIV singles cost 40% more than an Off-Peak Return to London!

Of course there will still be circumstances where you're better off buying the London International CIV ticket, as the time restrictions are less onerous than those applying to an Off-Peak Return (e.g. there are no evening restrictions). But based on the trains you're intending to catch, that shouldn't make any difference, so the Off-Peak Return represents the maximum you should consider paying.

Whilst 33 minutes is, in practice, plenty of time to get from St Pancras (it's possible to make it platform to platform in 10 minutes, or less than that if you're quick) - it is slightly less than the official minimum connection time (35 minutes).

As with any international trip, I would just ensure you have adequate travel insurance in place so that you are protected in the event of any missed connection or disruption. Even London International CIV tickets do not, legally speaking, concur any protection against missed connections (you would need one through ticket, such as an Interrail pass, for this); therefore, in the event of serious disruption you could be left carrying the cost of overnight accommodation or disruption if Eurostar or Avanti aren't cooperative.

skyhigh

Established Member
It is my intention to travel to St. Pancras from Southport (SOP) by departing SOP 10.05 changing at Wigan, departing Northwestern at 11.13 arriving Euston 13.12. This seems to allow enough slack.
You might wish to allow slightly more time if possible, given the recent performance of Avanti. Eurostar suggest arriving 90 mins before departure with Standard Premium, with gates closing 30 mins before departure.

JBuchananGB

I have set up alerts for Avanti advances. I have a recollection that the alert does not always come out on the very day the tickets are available. Before lockdown I managed to get Avanti advance tickets from Red Spotted Hanky before Avanti or any other TOC website of my choice was offering them. I wonder if that still happens... Actual trip cancelled due to COVID, and refunded without penalty by RSH. Maybe I will consider aiming for the 15.30 from Euston on return.

Last edited:

lucas01789

If you don't mind me piggybacking on this thread....how soon do the CIV tickets go on sale? Is it similar to standard peak/off peak or Advance tickets? After reading about about them on the Man in Seat 61, I know I'd have to get them from my local station, but I don't want to make multiple journeys if I can help it! (I'm not travelling until June)

Haywain

Veteran Member
If you don't mind me piggybacking on this thread....how soon do the CIV tickets go on sale? Is it similar to standard peak/off peak or Advance tickets? After reading about about them on the Man in Seat 61, I know I'd have to get them from my local station, but I don't want to make multiple journeys if I can help it! (I'm not travelling until June)
Advance tickets will go on sale at the same time as other Advance tickets, but the Euro High Saver and similar flexible tickets can be bought up to a year in advance of travel.

lucas01789

Thanks for the prompt response. I'll buy the Euro Saver tickets the next time I'm at the station

JBuchananGB

The problem with this is that the Euro High Saver is only available as a Single which in my case would be £45.90 each way, whereas the off peak return is £65.65. Both these ticket types are walk-up fares, which can be bought on the day of travel. Therefore I do not see any advantage of buying either ahead of travel, or the Euro High Saver at all. My travel is in 5 weeks time. I am waiting on Avanti to release the advance tickets. In fact no tickets at all are available on line for my journey at the moment, not even the off peak return!

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Walk-up CIV tickets can be bought as far in advance as the relevant booking system will allow; there's no inherent limitation on their booking horizon. You can actually buy them online.

I would expect CIV Advances to be on sale at the same time as 'normal' Advances.

JBuchananGB

I've tried searching for tickets to destination LNE London International for Eurostar for my travel dates in March. I've tried the RailUK version of Trainsplit. Tickets not available. Clearly Trainsplit does not allow these tickets to be purchased for travel in 5 weeks time.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
I've tried searching for tickets to destination LNE London International for Eurostar for my travel dates in March. I've tried the RailUK version of Trainsplit. Tickets not available. Clearly Trainsplit does not allow these tickets to be purchased for travel in 5 weeks time.
Have you tried London Eurostar?

JBuchananGB

Just tried again to LOE London Eurostar (CIV). Same result. Avanti have not released any capacity on services between Carlisle and London that week. Timetables show the trains, but no ticket booking site is offering tickets. In the end I'll just fetch up at Southport or Wigan ticket office and buy Off Peak returns on the day. (A friend of mine has offered a lift to Wigan, to save a bit of travel time). Unless Avanti release some Advance tickets.

JBuchananGB

I am becoming a bit irritated by this. I found my way to the Avanti web page which tells about when tickets will be released for sale, and tickets from 13-17 March are said to be available. Indeed they are available from Manchester to London, and from Liverpool to London. Ticket booking sites are coming up with exotic routes from Southport, such as via Manchester, or via Liverpool and Stafford.
I used Avanti's own booking page to attempt to book Southport to Euston, or Wigan North Western to Euston on 13 March, and even Avanti respond "No fares available".
When I consider the return journey on 18 March, then Avanti's site says tickets not yet released.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Ticket booking sites are coming up with exotic routes from Southport, such as via Manchester, or via Liverpool and Stafford.
You've got a strange idea of what an exotic route might be. What were you expecting?

JBuchananGB

The optimum route from Southport to London is via Wigan. Journey time 3 hours ish. With timetables published, albeit from Carlisle to London, because of the Carstairs blockade, what is preventing Avanti from making tickets available? What's so odd about 18 March that no Avanti tickets are available even via Liverpool or Manchester?

janb

Going by the info at https://www.avantiwestcoast.co.uk/travel-information/plan-your-journey/timetables

For the 13th,
Travelling to and from Scotland? Tickets are not available yet due to planned engineering work from Saturday 4 March to Sunday 4 June.
I know Wigan isn't in Scotland but it is on that line of route and the Wigan trains are not open for reservation, hence why you are not getting any fares.

The 18th is a Saturday so is going to be on an even slower pace of opening up. The info says the 4th is expected on the 22nd Feb, and the 11th on the 1st March so we might imply that the 18th will open on the 8th March. However those dates aren't hard and fast so could move forward or back.

It's a case of just keep checking.

Birkonian

Avanti haven't realised any tickets yet for w/c 10th April (from Easter Monday) but have for the following week. Not sure if they are expecting staffing issues. To comment on the OP, London International and London Eurostar advances are made available by Avanti at the same time as normal advances. Whether they provide true CIV cover has been discussed at length previously but they are ones I purchase.

JBuchananGB

Now I have to factor in a strike on 18 March. Is it likely that Eurostar will run? If not I will have to start cancelling whole trip.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Now I have to factor in a strike on 18 March. Is it likely that Eurostar will run? If not I will have to start cancelling whole trip.
Eurostar run services regardless of the type of strike, as none of their staff are on strike and HS1 is one of the few 'key routes' that are kept open using contingent signallers. However - as with other operators - they run a reduced timetable, with no services before 07:30 or after 18:30. On previous RMT signaller strike days such as 6 Jan, both of the services you are booked on did run. Therefore I'd say it's unlikely that your service will be cancelled on 18 March.

You will also be able to get to/from London on the domestic part of the journey, albeit the only way of doing so will be to travel via Liverpool. Merseyrail operated one train per 45 minutes from Southport to Liverpool Central on 6 Jan, and Avanti ran 1tph from Liverpool Lime St to Euston (via Earlestown and Warrington Bank Quay, as this is the only available route on a strike day), so I'd again expect to see a similar level of service for both on 18 March.

To play it safe with connections and particularly making sure you catch the Eurostar, your itinerary might be something like:

Southport 09:00 - Liverpool Central 09:45
Liverpool Lime St 10:45 - London Euston 13:30
London St Pancras 15:04 - Brussels 18:04

(a 15 minute connection from Central to Lime St off the 09:45 off Southport would likely be feasible in reality, but you may prefer the safer 60 minute connection)

island

Veteran Member
On previous similar strike days, Eurostar has typically cancelled the first or second departures from St Pancras, and the last departures have typically been around 17:00.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Eurostar run services regardless of the type of strike, as none of their staff are on strike and HS1 is one of the few 'key routes' that are kept open using contingent signallers. However - as with other operators - they run a reduced timetable, with no services before 07:30 or after 18:30. On previous RMT signaller strike days such as 6 Jan, both of the services you are booked on did run. Therefore I'd say it's unlikely that your service will be cancelled on 18 March.

You will also be able to get to/from London on the domestic part of the journey, albeit the only way of doing so will be to travel via Liverpool. Merseyrail operated one train per 45 minutes from Southport to Liverpool Central on 6 Jan, and Avanti ran 1tph from Liverpool Lime St to Euston (via Earlestown and Warrington Bank Quay, as this is the only available route on a strike day), so I'd again expect to see a similar level of service for both on 18 March.

To play it safe with connections and particularly making sure you catch the Eurostar, your itinerary might be something like:

Southport 09:00 - Liverpool Central 09:45
Liverpool Lime St 10:45 - London Euston 13:30

(a 15 minute connection from Central to Lime St off the 09:45 off Southport would likely be feasible in reality, but you may prefer the safer 60 minute connection)
I would suggest that more time should to be left between arrival at Euston and departure from St Pancras to allow for the transfer and any delays on route, and the rather slow check in process for Eurostar.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I would suggest that more time should to be left between arrival at Euston and departure from St Pancras to allow for the transfer and any delays on route, and the rather slow check in process for Eurostar.
I would certainly be happy with such an itinerary, but if the OP would prefer to allow more time, they could do:

Southport 08:15 - Liverpool Central 09:00
Liverpool Lime St 09:47 - London Euston 12:30

Though I suspect this would involve rather a long time standing around at St Pancras waiting for the 'correct' queue to even begin (they are organised by train number), and then again a long time waiting in the cramped departure area after passport control.

Benjwri

Established Member
However - as with other operators - they run a reduced timetable, with no services before 07:30 or after 18:30.
Technically only 16th is a Network Rail worker strike isn’t it? The rest are TOC only, so as it stands now there shouldn’t be reduced opening in HS1.

Status
Not open for further replies.