• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Timetable booklets

Established Member
Just been through Derby station and after 3 years of no timetables on the racks, I have just picked up the new Cross Country booklets for the timetable change later this month.

Hopefully EMR are not far behind as I do prefer paper timetables.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
Just been through Derby station and after 3 years of no timetables on the rack's I have just picked up the new Cross Country booklets for the timetable change later this month. Hopefully EMR are not far behind as I do prefer paper timetables.
Interesting, no paper timetables up here in Scotland.6

Llandudno

Established Member
TransPennine Express would have to use a blackboard and chalk each morning so they can keep erasing trains as more services get cancelled as the day wears on!

Andyh82

Established Member
It’d be nice if there were paper timetables so everyone knew what the timetable was actually meant to be in the first place

In many areas I’ve completely lost track with all the changes of various permanence

Just been through Derby station and after 3 years of no timetables on the rack's I have just picked up the new Cross Country booklets for the timetable change later this month.
I was pleasantly surprised to pick up a copy of the forthcoming Cross Country timetable at Wigan North Western last night. Unfortunately during some recent renovation works the leaflet racks were removed, so the timetables were everywhere.

Baz2000

Hi i miss the proper timetables, the online ones are good and also printable/download too, but maybe a bit old fashioned but the printed timetables are better, Virgin trains used to do a Brilliant booklet, and the local WM trains was very useful, anyway does anyone know if they will come back or is it a cost cutting idea?

Chiltern006

Covid provided the perfect excuse to get rid, and as most people plan beforehand online, there’s not really much need. Whatever way it’s looked at though it’s still cost-cutting, but an excusable and understandable one.

MikeWM

Established Member
It’d be nice if there were paper timetables so everyone knew what the timetable was actually meant to be in the first place

In many areas I’ve completely lost track with all the changes of various permanence

Bingo. I don't believe that the connection between the increasing difficulty of finding out at the station what the service is *supposed* to be, and the current 'last minute alterations'/'timetable of the day' nonsense, is remotely coincidental. The less visible the timetable is, the easier it is to diverge from it.

WAB

Bingo. I don't believe that the connection between the increasing difficulty of finding out at the station what the service is *supposed* to be, and the current 'last minute alterations'/'timetable of the day' nonsense, is remotely coincidental. The less visible the timetable is, the easier it is to diverge from it.
It's called agility and flexibility, which the government are very keen to implement as part of the GBR process.

GWVillager

It's called agility and flexibility, which the government are very keen to implement as part of the GBR process.
Agility and flexibility is changing to match demand. What we’re seeing at the moment is just cancelling timetabled services even if the demand definitely exists.

MikeWM

Established Member

It's a rubbish way to run a railway, whether it is 'by design' or not.

But if the main reason for removing timetable booklets and displays at stations is this (or facilitiates this as a convenient side-effect), be honest and say so, and see what the reaction is. I suspect it will be about as popular as the regular TPE/Northern 'night before' cancellations that are currently plaguing so many people.

route101

Established Member
Picked up the new XC timetables at the weekend. Birmingham New St did not have them, which is strange as its the central point for XC services.

AY1975

Established Member
Just been through Derby station and after 3 years of no timetables on the racks, I have just picked up the new Cross Country booklets for the timetable change later this month.
This thread on the new XC printed timetables may also be of interest: https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...seful-printed-timetable-booklet-again.249338/
Hopefully EMR are not far behind as I do prefer paper timetables.
Do any operators apart from XC still produce paper timetables at all these days? I believe that GWR did until recently (and maybe still does) at least for the Devon and Cornwall branch lines.

PeterC

Established Member
Covid provided the perfect excuse to get rid, and as most people plan beforehand online, there’s not really much need. Whatever way it’s looked at though it’s still cost-cutting, but an excusable and understandable one.
Most people? All those passengers on the Elizabeth Line, London Overground and other suburban seevices have explicitly planned to be on their specific trains?

GWVillager

Most people? All those passengers on the Elizabeth Line, London Overground and other suburban seevices have explicitly planned to be on their specific trains?
Well on lines like that you don't need a timetable, just a general idea of running hours which can be easily printed on signs.

Bevan Price

Established Member
London North Western seems to have published some printed timetables. A4 size, with pages stapled together. I have a couple, including one for Liverpool/Crewe to Birmingham services.

Anyone managed to find a station location that actually has these in stock? Useful for checking train times in places where you can't easily get an internet connection.
Preston currently has some (along with the latest Cross Country offerings) in the leaflet racks in the ticket hall.

janb

Preston currently has some (along with the latest Cross Country offerings) in the leaflet racks in the ticket hall.
Yes supplies should now be at stations listed on this page https://coastandlakestraintimetable.co.uk/pick-up-a-copy

They go like hotcakes when put out in the racks but my station received 2.5-3 times as many as on previous issues so if they were similarly generous across the board they shouldn't have run out yet.

Llandudno

Established Member
Yes supplies should now be at stations listed on this page https://coastandlakestraintimetable.co.uk/pick-up-a-copy

They go like hotcakes when put out in the racks but my station received 2.5-3 times as many as on previous issues so if they were similarly generous across the board they shouldn't have run out yet.
The paper timetables go like hot cakes - and the TOCs tell us there is no demand for paper timetables then…!

Spartacus

Established Member
The paper timetables go like hot cakes - and the TOCs tell us there is no demand for paper timetables then…!

Metro had the perfect plan with their West Yorkshire timetable books. At one point they were still printed but staff were instructed not to put them out and to keep them behind the counter in booking offices until requested by passengers, then they withdrew them citing lack of demand. The were fantastic little books, perfect for anyone using more than one route, and far easier the online planners especially if anything went wrong.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Metro had the perfect plan with their West Yorkshire timetable books. At one point they were still printed but staff were instructed not to put them out and to keep them behind the counter in booking offices until requested by passengers, then they withdrew them citing lack of demand. The were fantastic little books, perfect for anyone using more than one route, and far easier the online planners especially if anything went wrong.
I wondered why they were so scarce at stations. I used to get mine from the local library. The discontinuation of this excellent booklet has undoubtedly led to me using the trains in West Yorkshire less often than I used to.

Combined Settle & Carlisle / Bentham line printed timetable booklets are still printed, I got one from Settle station last week.

Last time I visited Keighley station there were stapled together print outs of the PDF of Northern’s Airedale Line timetable in the leaflet rack. At least the station staff are making an effort to meet the demand.

MikeWM

Established Member

The XC ones put out at Ely a couple of weeks back all went within a couple of days. They seem to have now received a second round of them.

--

Metro had the perfect plan with their West Yorkshire timetable books. At one point they were still printed but staff were instructed not to put them out and to keep them behind the counter in booking offices until requested by passengers, then they withdrew them citing lack of demand.

That's pretty much what Greater Anglia, Chiltern and East Midlands (and probably others too) did in the few years preceding covid.

GA did/do a timetable for the East Suffolk Line last year and I think I've seen one recently (at Cambridge North?), though I didn't pick one up. This is from August 2022:

https://eastsuffolklines.co.uk/timetable-line-guide
Alan Neville, Greater Anglia’s Customer and Community Engagement Manager, said, “There was a pause in printing paper timetables during the pandemic when frequent service changes made it impossible to create a reliable printed leaflet, so we are delighted to have worked with the East Suffolk Lines on this now that things are much more stable.

“With these handy timetables and Greater Anglia’s great value fares, families and day trippers can leave the car at home and discover the wonders of these scenic rail lines and the fascinating towns, villages and attractions that are within easy reach.”

A shame they don't apply the same principles to the other lines they run.

AY1975

Established Member
Derbyshire County Council used to produce countywide rail timetable booklets too, and they also had three separate timetable books containing both bus and rail timetables covering Mid and South Derbyshire, the Peak District and North-East Derbyshire. I don't think they still do either those or their rail timetable booklet now, though, probably a victim of both Covid and council budget cuts.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Northern do the Cumbria (and bits of Lancashire / Yorkshire) one. https://coastandlakestraintimetable.co.uk/current-timetable#

Anyone managed to find a station location that actually has these in stock? Useful for checking train times in places where you can't easily get an internet connection.

Managed to obtain a copy at Chorley.

Barrow-in-Furness had copies also.

Useful resource when travelling in locations where internet connectivity isn't always the best.

superkopite

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I am doing a bit of research into timetables.

What do people use printed/online timetables for? Are they able to provide information that a regular journey planner cannot?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
What do people use printed/online timetables for? Are they able to provide information that a regular journey planner cannot?
An online journey planner won't necessarily always show all ongoing journey / connection opportunities on a multi-leg journey, i.e. those that just don't quite meet the minimum interchange time at an intermediate station.