• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Timetable: Settle to Fort William

Status
Not open for further replies.

bahnause

I'm currently planning a trip from Settle to Fort William on September 6th. nationalrail.co.uk tells me to travel via Haymarket with quite short connections in Lancaster and Haymarket:

Journey Details: Settle (SET) to Hellifield (HLD), dep 07:29, arr 07:37 Train Company: Northern Mode of Transport: Train

Journey Details: Hellifield (HLD) to Lancaster (LAN), dep 08:15, arr 09:13 Train Company: Northern Mode of Transport: Train

Journey Details: Lancaster (LAN) to Haymarket (HYM), dep 09:20, arr 11:29 Train Company: TransPennine Express Mode of Transport: Train

Journey Details: Haymarket (HYM) to Glasgow Queen Street (GLQ), dep 11:34, arr 12:14 Train Company: ScotRail Mode of Transport: Train

Journey Details: Glasgow Queen Street (GLQ) to Fort William (FTW), dep 12:24, arr 16:09 Train Company: ScotRail Mode of Transport: Train

I expected a connection via Glasgow Central, so I tried to split the journey at Glasgow central:

Journey Details: Settle (SET) to Carlisle (CAR), dep 08:50, arr 10:31 Train Company: Northern Mode of Transport: Train

Journey Details: Carlisle (CAR) to Glasgow Central (GLC), dep 10:47, arr 11:59 Train Company: Virgin Trains Mode of Transport: Train

Walk to Glasgow Queen Street

Journey Details: Glasgow Queen Street (GLQ) to Fort William (FTW), dep 12:24, arr 16:09 Train Company: ScotRail Mode of Transport: Train

I think it's plenty of time to walk from Glasgow Central to Queen Street, wich option is "safer" in terms of connections?

Thanks for your help :)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

d9009alycidon

Virgin trains punctuality into Glasgow can be suspect, not I hasten to add always their fault, their seems to be real congestion issues between Carstairs and Glasgow Central just now, one late running Scotrail Suburban service knocks everything out of sequence. Still 24 mins is plenty of time, maximum walking tome from Central to Queen St is 10 mins

Hello,

Below - I've edited your original post, with info from recenttraintimes.co.uk with the RT arrival -5 minutes % (for the previous 21 days) - of course, anything can happen at anytime on any day. I can't comment on the most resilient route, in terms of additional connections in lieu of those potentially missed. I'm just showing you how your proposed itinary has run in the last 21 days. Hope it is of some use.

I'm currently planning a trip from Settle to Fort William on September 6th. nationalrail.co.uk tells me to travel via Haymarket with quite short connections in Lancaster and Haymarket:

Journey Details: Settle (SET) to Hellifield (HLD), dep 07:29, arr 07:37 Train Company: Northern Mode of Transport: Train
--HERE-- 67%
Journey Details: Hellifield (HLD) to Lancaster (LAN), dep 08:15, arr 09:13 Train Company: Northern Mode of Transport: Train
--HERE-- 95%
Journey Details: Lancaster (LAN) to Haymarket (HYM), dep 09:20, arr 11:29 Train Company: TransPennine Express Mode of Transport: Train
--HERE-- 57%
Journey Details: Haymarket (HYM) to Glasgow Queen Street (GLQ), dep 11:34, arr 12:14 Train Company: ScotRail Mode of Transport: Train
--HERE-- 75%

I expected a connection via Glasgow Central, so I tried to split the journey at Glasgow central:

Journey Details: Settle (SET) to Carlisle (CAR), dep 08:50, arr 10:31 Train Company: Northern Mode of Transport: Train
--HERE-- 85%
Journey Details: Carlisle (CAR) to Glasgow Central (GLC), dep 10:47, arr 11:59 Train Company: Virgin Trains Mode of Transport: Train
--HERE-- 62%

Walk to Glasgow Queen Street

I think it's plenty of time to walk from Glasgow Central to Queen Street, wich option is "safer" in terms of connections?

Ginaro

The Lancaster train gets into Haymarket on platform 3, and the Queen Street train will almost certainly leave from platform 4 - which means going up and down stairs to cross platforms. If it's on time then you should be ok if you get up and over quickly.

However looking at realtimetrains for the past 7 days, the Lancaster train arrived at 1131, 1133, 1135, 1134, 1210, 1137 - so there's a good chance you won't make the connection.

Veteran Member
The minimum connection time across Glasgow is 30 minutes, which is why journey planners have an issue with that route. In practice that is the less risky option, but you won't be able to claim delay repay if it doesn't work, and it depends whether you want to risk a 6-hour delay.

You can, of course, travel from Giggleswick on the Lancaster option.

scotrail158713

Established Member
My preferred choice would be via Glasgow Central but in this instance I would go via Haymarket purely because you’re covered for compensation if you’re delayed at all (presuming it came up as one through journey on National Rail that is)

bahnause

Thanks to all for your help. I‘ll go for the second option. I travel on a free ticket, so compensation is not really an issue here. The main goal is to arrive on time as the next train wouldn‘t be until 6 hours later. I’ll try my best not to get lost in Glasgow :E

scotrail158713

Established Member
Thanks to all for your help. I‘ll go for the second option. I travel on a free ticket, so compensation is not really an issue here. The main goal is to arrive on time as the next train wouldn‘t be until 6 hours later. I’ll try my best not to get lost in Glasgow :E
You should be fine if everything’s on time. I’ve made it from Central Low Level to Queen Street in 10 minutes walking not that quickly so 25 minutes from the High Level will be plenty of time.

route101

Established Member
Virgin trains punctuality into Glasgow can be suspect, not I hasten to add always their fault, their seems to be real congestion issues between Carstairs and Glasgow Central just now, one late running Scotrail Suburban service knocks everything out of sequence. Still 24 mins is plenty of time, maximum walking tome from Central to Queen St is 10 mins

Yeah , its quite often a crawl from Newton to Polmadie on the VT trains .

Status
Not open for further replies.