• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TMD's / Stabling Points Next To Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Did you notice whether there was still a track connection to the shed / sheds?

I think so, but it wasn't very easy to see, as everything is very overgrown.

I've just looked at Google maps to see if I can see anything. However, it isn't a great help as the depot was obviously in use when the images were taken as there's a couple of what looks like track units outside the shed. There's no date shown, but it must have been a few years ago as I haven't seen anything there for a good while - five plus years?

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I think so, but it wasn't very easy to see, as everything is very overgrown.

I've just looked at Google maps to see if I can see anything. However, it isn't a great help as the depot was obviously in use when the images were taken as there's a couple of what looks like track units outside the shed. There's no date shown, but it must have been a few years ago as I haven't seen anything there for a good while - five plus years?

I was looking at the Google satellite view last night, I don't know if you noticed but on the opposite side of the running lines from the former Horton Road Depot there seems to a Class 45/6 Peak stabled with another vehicle. It appears to be in very faded rail blue livery, can't understand what one of these could be doing there in recent times, unless my eyes are deceiving me me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 28

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I was looking at the Google satellite view last night, I don't know if you noticed but on the opposite side of the running lines from the former Horton Road Depot there seems to a Class 45/6 Peak stabled with another vehicle. It appears to be in very faded rail blue livery, can't understand what one of these could be doing there in recent times, unless my eyes are deceiving me me.

I didn't notice it, no, as I was looking at the shed and not anywhere else!

The problem is that there's no date on the "image", so it's impossible to say when this was taken. I'm not sure whether it was stabled there .... it might have been on it's way somewhere and just been "caught on camera". I've never seen anything stabled in that area, but to be fair I'm normally looking the other way.

I've also looked at Bing Maps, and this doesn't show anything stabled or passing there.

"Curiouser and curiouser", said the White Rabbit!

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I didn't notice it, no, as I was looking at the shed and not anywhere else!

The problem is that there's no date on the "image", so it's impossible to say when this was taken. I'm not sure whether it was stabled there .... it might have been on it's way somewhere and just been "caught on camera". I've never seen anything stabled in that area, but to be fair I'm normally looking the other way.

I've also looked at Bing Maps, and this doesn't show anything stabled or passing there.

"Curiouser and curiouser", said the White Rabbit!

Maybe the satellite camera recorded a snapshot of a different time phase. Then again if that was the case there would be Westerns, Warships, NBL 22s etc. on the otherside of the tracks ;)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
There was a thread a year or so ago in which I believe it was mentioned that one of the preserved 45s was staged via that location not too long ago...?

Ash Bridge

Established Member
There was a thread a year or so ago in which I believe it was mentioned that one of the preserved 45s was staged via that location not too long ago...?

Many thanks for shedding some light on that Peter. First thoughts when I noticed it were, that this might be better placed in the "Are Our Railways Haunted" thread!

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Something tells me that there might have been a couple of preserved Class 37's there at sometime, too .... but I can't remember whether this is true or when it was.

rogger13

The stabling point at Guide Bridge was close to the station. Good for Class76s 24s/25s/40s/47s etc.

and you could knock on the door of the locomens hut, which wasn't far off the platform. Once inside it was lovely and warm and they would let you take down the loco numbers off the blackboard.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
and you could knock on the door of the locomens hut, which wasn't far off the platform. Once inside it was lovely and warm and they would let you take down the loco numbers off the blackboard.

Don't think I ever managed to get around Guide Bridge stabling point. Though I do remember spending a Sunday afternoon in the adjacent signalbox, was it called Stockport Junc.? I think it's still in use. I was only 12 or 13 at the time, it was the only time I saw a EM2 (77) working a passenger service, and what confused me was when the signalman told me the train had come from London. I presume now it was from Marylebone, with the electric taking over the train at Sheffield Victoria. To my young mind coming from Stockport all trains from London came from Euston, and were AC electric loco hauled, I still had a lot to learn then railway wise, obviously!

Status
Not open for further replies.