• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TOC attitude to kidney stones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Essexboy

I am due to start as a Trainee Driver probably starting next year but I have just been diagnosed with a kidney stone which I will have removed within the next month.

I have already passed the medical and I certainly intend to update the TOC with this new information, but I was wondering if anybody has any experience of this and how the TOC may view this particular problem?

Once I start with the TOC I will be able to say with certainty that I am stone free but will the fact that I've had one at all count against me going forward?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Moonshot

Established Member
I am due to start as a Trainee Driver probably starting next year but I have just been diagnosed with a kidney stone which I will have removed within the next month.

I have already passed the medical and I certainly intend to update the TOC with this new information, but I was wondering if anybody has any experience of this and how the TOC may view this particular problem?

Once I start with the TOC I will be able to say with certainty that I am stone free but will the fact that I've had one at all count against me going forward?

Absolutely not.....its a common condition. As traincrew myself , I ve had them in the past. What TOCS are looking for in general is anything that impairs either eyesight or hearing. As long as any other medical conditions are managed , should be no issue.

How you having it removed? If they are breaking it up using sound waves or lasers and expect you to **** them out via a stent up your japs-eye then expect to be on some lovely painkillers for a while that will preclude you from doing any safety Critical work. If it's a one off intrusive op (stone would have to be huge for this) then you'll miss a week off work I think.

Either way, as mentioned, it's a very common complaint among drivers as they don't hydrate enough as they clearly need to regulate fluid intake so they don't have to delay trains for a ****. Once you've had a stone once you are always a higher risk of reoccurance so therefore when your not in the seat at work drink loads! Watch your diet too- red meat and a few other bits discouraged.

Essexboy

Thanks for your responses guys.

I'm already drinking lots of fluids, I just need to sort my diet out to try and lower the chance of a reoccurrence.

Have been given a choice of treatments (the two mentioned above) and will get it done during August.

Status
Not open for further replies.