• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TOCS and FOCS current trainees Covid Situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fred Dinenage

Northern driver training was suspended on March 21st. Still not back. Head of trains and stations took a guess at late August for a return, in answer to someone on the employee facebook site. Nothing official yet.

C001

Northern driver training was suspended on March 21st. Still not back. Head of trains and stations took a guess at late August for a return, in answer to someone on the employee facebook site. Nothing official yet.
[/QUOTE

Last edited:

whoosh

Established Member
The subject of an ASLEF circular the other day was a 'pin prick' blood test in which a result can be gained within 15 minutes. Crossrail (the Elizabeth Line) look like they'll be going ahead with it.
This will facilitate driver training with two people in the (not socially distanced!) cab.

An interesting development.

theironroad

Established Member
The subject of an ASLEF circular the other day was a 'pin prick' blood test in which a result can be gained within 15 minutes. Crossrail (the Elizabeth Line) look like they'll be going ahead with it.
This will facilitate driver training with two people in the (not socially distanced!) cab.

An interesting development.

All based on both the instructor and trainee both being happy and consenting to the two in cab arrangements which is all on a voluntary basis.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Where did you get the 1st from?
HeX trial starts on Monday, not sure why we need our own trial after the industry trial, but, we're having one anyway. Results of that will feed back and looks like general in-cab training will resume late August/early September. Going to be done in course priority order. I can't see myself being back before October, with so many qualified drivers to do and then the course ahead of mine at my depot.

Daydr3am3r

HeX trial starts on Monday, not sure why we need our own trial after the industry trial, but, we're having one anyway. Results of that will feed back and looks like general in-cab training will resume late August/early September. Going to be done in course priority order. I can't see myself being back before October, with so many qualified drivers to do and then the course ahead of mine at my depot.

I will be happy to get back this year! Am only at Intro to Handling and will literally depend on how many DIs decide to take on a trainee for me to stand a chance.
Again no point getting worked up a bit it, just enjoy the time with family and keep revising so that I don’t forget everything!

Jlob2804

SWR are giving DI's temperature guns, and returning high hours trainees soon. No route learning still though.

Stretch1987

SE only shut the school, which is now back open.... Practical handling was agreed by DCC if both DI and trainee are in agreement......
Don't know what made them different from the rest, perhaps it's the never ending pay talks in promiscuous locations like France etc

Stigy

Established Member
It’s getting a bit silly now to be honest, especially if we will indeed be back in course order. Why hold somebody up potentially months, who’s on 221 hours of 225, because their course isn’t “next in line”, especially since that trainee is the only one at their depot at that stage. Makes sense to do in in order of priority based on hours, surely (which was what we were initially told it would be)? After all, there’s no need for all groups to be together once rules and traction is complete? More so for groups later as close to passing out as us and those in front of us, where we only have to go back to the training academy for sim assessments?

I’m hoping common sense will eventually prevail....

tiptoptaff

Established Member
It’s getting a bit silly now to be honest, especially if we will indeed be back in course order. Why hold somebody up potentially months, who’s on 221 hours of 225, because their course isn’t “next in line”, especially since that trainee is the only one at their depot at that stage. Makes sense to do in in order of priority based on hours, surely (which was what we were initially told it would be)? After all, there’s no need for all groups to be together once rules and traction is complete? More so for groups later as close to passing out as us and those in front of us, where we only have to go back to the training academy for sim assessments?

I’m hoping common sense will eventually prevail....
I think it's because we've got so many trainees handling at our depot. And each group isn't a million miles apart in terms of hours - the group ahead are all close, the group behind are all very very early. We're all on something in the mid-100s. Makes sense to control the flow back that way. I'd assume you'd go back as soon as we're able

Efini92

Established Member
I think it's because we've got so many trainees handling at our depot. And each group isn't a million miles apart in terms of hours - the group ahead are all close, the group behind are all very very early. We're all on something in the mid-100s. Makes sense to control the flow back that way. I'd assume you'd go back as soon as we're able
Do you work for northern?

Nearlyadriver

I’m still at home waiting to finish my handling hours, people with more hours have priority and also qualified drivers so it’s a waiting game at my TOC

StaffsPM1

I am a qualified new driver who hasn't done anything for weeks now. Been told that Company Council has only agreed to trainees going back in social bubbles and not qualified so at home I remain

Stigy

Established Member
I am a qualified new driver who hasn't done anything for weeks now. Been told that Company Council has only agreed to trainees going back in social bubbles and not qualified so at home I remain
I thought if anything qualified drivers were being prioritised? It’s certainly the case where I am (I think?).

StaffsPM1

Possibly, but what I think has happened is there are far more trainees and that was the agreement they worked on and qualifieds were forgotten!

Status
Not open for further replies.