• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tonight 4 Feb Preston to Lancaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broseley man

What's gone wrong tonight between Preston and Lancaster? The train my son is meeting from Euston is way over an hour late.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Broseley man

Yes, I have seen that but what signalling problem? I wondered if anyone could give a bit more detail. The WCML at the moment is having so many difficulties it is rare to get a journey that isn't disrupted.

Veteran Member
Sorry, but unless someone on here has inside information, all that Realtimetrains will tell you is that the problem occurred somewhere north of Garstang and that trains are now moving again with maximum delay around 2hr. As southbound trains weren't generally affected, the problem was local to a specific section of track or signal or points.

Last edited:

QueensCurve

Established Member
Sorry, but unless someone on here has inside information, all that Realtimetrains will tell you is that the problem occurred somewhere north of Garstang and that trains are now moving again with maximum delay around 2hr. As southbound trains weren't generally affected, the problem was local to a specific section of track or signal or points.

Assuming that it is a signal, it used to the the case that drivers were told to "pass this signal at danger, proceed with caution, obey all other signals".

Is this not done any more and if not why not?

If it is still done, why are the delays so long?

driver9000

Established Member
Assuming that it is a signal, it used to the the case that drivers were told to "pass this signal at danger, proceed with caution, obey all other signals".

Is this not done any more and if not why not?

If it is still done, why are the delays so long?

Yes trains can still be authorised to pass signals at danger, judging by the length of delay I'd guess the assumption of a single signal being at fault is wrong.

Broseley man

It has happened again tonight - FEB 8. Nothing north of Preston since around 18.00 and no fix until 20.45 according to NR. I have looked for their comments. The state of travel on WCML is difficult to say the least. Has anyone specific information on this and whether it is the same problem as last week and can it be fixed properly? Thanks for any replies. My family have had to hang around for a replacement bus. It is great that a bus can be provided of course and grateful for that. I am glad not to be having to cope with the problem on such a poor night weather-wise!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
It has happened again tonight - FEB 8. Nothing north of Preston since around 18.00 and no fix until 20.45 according to NR. I have looked for their comments. The state of travel on WCML is difficult to say the least. Has anyone specific information on this and whether it is the same problem as last week and can it be fixed properly? Thanks for any replies. My family have had to hang around for a replacement bus. It is great that a bus can be provided of course and grateful for that. I am glad not to be having to cope with the problem on such a poor night weather-wise!

That precise information does not normally in the public domain. As stated earlier, you will only get it if an industry insider who is aware of the circumstances comes forward with it.

fowler9

Established Member
We should be grateful. Even without weather problems it took me 2 1/2 hours to get by road from South Liverpool to Manchester Airport last Tuesday. That was without weather problems, just made the plane. This country's infrastructure is creaking at the best of times.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Sometimes it is the case that a temporary fix can be applied in a couple of hours, but a long (e.g. weekend) possession will be needed for a proper robust fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.