• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Took a train west of Swansea for the first time today

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamt958

Being from Bridgend I had never taken a train west of Swansea,

What a pleasent experience it was, only went as far as Burry Port but it's a beautiful little route from Gowerton - Burry Port.

One question for any that might know, the train went through a tunnel about 5-10 mins after departure from Swansea and immideatley after the tunnel there was a disused platform in immaculate condition where the cutting had been cleared of all shrubbery, all the walls in place from where the shelter was etc. does anyone know what station this was?

Also on approach to Llanelli there was part of a disused platform just before the old goods shed. Was there another station in Llanelli as well?

Thanks
Adam
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
EDIT: through research, found that the station was called Cockett. Would this ever have a case for re opening?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

L&Y Robert

What a pleasent experience it was, only went as far as Burry Port but it's a beautiful little route from Gowerton - Burry Port.
Adam

Korks! I always thought there be dragons west of Swansea. And Ireland. Then Americky.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
It is a pretty run from Gowerton...many visitors comment on the views of Gower as you cross the Loughor bridge. You should have gone further, though, it's nice all the way to Carmarthen (and beyond!).

I can't see Cockett reopening anytime soon. That's not to say I don't think it should, and there is more of a chance since the line through Gowerton has been redoubled, but there ar ehigher priorities in my view.

I'm not aware of any other main line station in Llanelli. Though the line that used to branch off to the old Cynheidre station just west of the station used to have its own terminus in the very early days. This was just off the main line.

Eire Sprinter

OP, I hope you will have the opportunity to travel the rest of the line and its branches in the future. Including the beyond the buffers branch across the sea to Rosslare!

The daytime boat train to Fishguard is a good experience - it's at full speed a good part of the way. Then at Clarbeston Road a moment's pause for the token and up through Spittal Tunnel and through the woods by the Western Cleddau. Then to stop at one of Wales's newest stations (Fishguard & Goodwick). Then travellers to Ireland fold up their papers and there's a sense of occasion/mini-climax as the ship looms large and the level crossing beeper sounds. Then a game of musical chairs of sorts is played for three minutes as one batch (wrong word I know) of passengers alight and a new group board.

Last edited:

One question for any that might know, the train went through a tunnel about 5-10 mins after departure from Swansea and immideatley after the tunnel there was a disused platform in immaculate condition where the cutting had been cleared of all shrubbery, all the walls in place from where the shelter was etc. does anyone know what station this was?

Also on approach to Llanelli there was part of a disused platform just before the old goods shed. Was there another station in Llanelli as well?

Thanks
Adam
EDIT: through research, found that the station was called Cockett. Would this ever have a case for re opening?

Are there any pictures of the platform you saw on this site?

Squaddie

All the remaining lines west of Swansea pass through great scenery, and the area is well worth another day of your time.

It's just a shame (a scandalous one) that the stations themselves are generally so dilapidated and unwelcoming and the trains so unpleasant to travel on.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I find the 175's very comfortable, the 158's OK but the 150's and Pacers are terrible! Many fo the station buildings that survive are old, but I think it is better to leave them standing than knock them down and put bus shelters (like Ferryside) in instead.

Squaddie

I find the 175's very comfortable, the 158's OK but the 150's and Pacers are terrible!
I don't know what 175s, 158s, 150s and Pacers are, but I do know that when I travelled from Swansea to Tenby one day last August all three trains I travelled on were noisy, cramped and uncomfortable and that, fifty years after Beeching, it really is time that some of those sad, disused platforms and buildings were either demolished or restored for other uses.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I don't know what 175s, 158s, 150s and Pacers are, but I do know that when I travelled from Swansea to Tenby one day last August all three trains I travelled on were noisy, cramped and uncomfortable and that, fifty years after Beeching, it really is time that some of those sad, disused platforms and buildings were either demolished or restored for other uses.

The trains to Tenby are normally made up of the 150's and Pacers. These are the older DMU's, the Pacers are based on the old Leyland National bus bodies and are pretty notorious for rough riding.

The 150's are from much the same desing period, and are more strongly constructed but wiht seat configurations that I find rather cramped. Neither of them have the carpets, lighting or spaciousness of the 175's and 158's which are later designs that have been refurbished in the last few years. They can still be overcrowded, but they ar emuch quieter than the older trains.

There are a couple of services operated by 175's, but not normally at times that are convenient for day visitors. That said, I once had the luxury of a day out in Tenby by catching the morning HST out from Swansea and a 175 on the way back.

Your point about the old station buildings is a valid one, My preference would be for them to be resotred to some kind of community use, but that is difficult in the present economic climate.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The trains to Tenby are normally made up of the 150's and Pacers. These are the older DMU's, the Pacers are based on the old Leyland National bus bodies and are pretty notorious for rough riding.

The 150's are from much the same desing period, and are more strongly constructed but wiht seat configurations that I find rather cramped. Neither of them have the carpets, lighting or spaciousness of the 175's and 158's which are later designs that have been refurbished in the last few years. They can still be overcrowded, but they ar emuch quieter than the older trains.

There are a couple of services operated by 175's, but not normally at times that are convenient for day visitors. That said, I once had the luxury of a day out in Tenby by catching the morning HST out from Swansea and a 175 on the way back.

Your point about the old station buildings is a valid one, My preference would be for them to be resotred to some kind of community use, but that is difficult in the present economic climate.

Also a boked daily 158 working.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The 0657 Pembroke Dock - Cardiff service I believe is the one booked for a 158

Yes. It isn't always one but as we use to say at one time, diagrams are prepared to be broken. If nothing ever failed, full number of units available at all times, nothing ever ran late, nothing was ever cancelled, mishaps never happened, diagrams might be adhered to.

aylesbury

Tenby station is worth a visit as it is a crossing point and often has two units present.Also it has escaped destruction and still has the original buildings so well worth a visit as are all the western lines.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Agreed - the run past Ferryside and up the estuary to Carmarthen is a lovely ride - a sort of watered down (!) version of Dawlish. All of West Wales is good train riding scenery !

gwr4090

The platform was not a station but part of the goods facilities attached to the goods shed.

David

swcovas

Do posters think the the station buildings in West Wales are that bad?

Taken that a number are the basic platform plus shelter format found all over UK (eg Ferryside, Clunderwen, Johnston etc) the buildings that remain are with perhaps one exception in good condition. Nothing wrong with Llanelli, Carmarthen, Haverfordwest. Tenby, as someone has already said is a great structure and an original mid C19 example. It has often surprised me that no one has made an effort to operate a booking office there since facilities were withdrawn some years ago. I noticed that there is now a ticket machine there....a fairly recent addition?

I love Pembroke Dock station, all the better that it's a successful pub but shame there is no waiting room. Other buildings on the PD branch like Penally, Manorbier, Lamphey are in private hands, but again I think but not sure that the building at Narberth (another great example) is now for let. Milford Haven is a big disappointment for a terminus but the original building has long gone and at least the portakabin provides ticketing facilities.

Whitland is the problem station. I know there are moves to demolish it but personally I think it would be a great shame.....maybe its not architecturally outstanding but it is a classic example of 50s modernisation. Ideas to let it out have been thwarted, I believe, because of asbestos presence but other rumours I have heard are that NR are considering using it as some sort of base.

Those are my opinions only, for what they're worth. Just a great shame that most of the buildings disappeared 40/50 years ago.

Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The station buildings at Carmarthen and Llanelli could do with a bit of tlc in terms of tidying and cleaning themp. As part of that, I would like to see the unused parts of the station given over to community use. I thought Tenby was pretty dilapidated when I last got out there a couple of years ago. We are planning to visit again soon, so I will take another look.

Many of the old buildings at other stations have already been demolished. When I wnet to Pemborke Dock the pub was closed!

swcovas

The station buildings at Carmarthen and Llanelli could do with a bit of tlc in terms of tidying and cleaning themp. As part of that, I would like to see the unused parts of the station given over to community use. I thought Tenby was pretty dilapidated when I last got out there a couple of years ago. We are planning to visit again soon, so I will take another look.

Many of the old buildings at other stations have already been demolished. When I wnet to Pemborke Dock the pub was closed!

I think Tenby is ok but could do with a bit of TLC and while there's no one there it ain't likely to happen. As I say I thought it would be a prime candidate for private booking office operation and surprised no efforts have been made on this front.

The pub in PD station is going strong, excellent food, real ale and live music at weekends. The owners are very firm though on closing in the afternoons so unless you're there of a lunchtime or evening no chance.

Agree what you say about Carmarthen and Llanelli but outward appearances they are fine except that the bottom of the footbridge t Llanelli on the up side seems to atract a bit of a dubious crowd of illicit drinkers.....starnge place but I have often seen them or the remains of their presence ie empty cans! It would be nice to see some of the redundant buildings put to use though. A question though......Carmarthen I know dates from 1902 but when do the buildings at Llanelli date from? Am I correct in thinking that it is all intact? Nothing of any significance been demolished?

Photos attached of Tenby and PD taken in Jan this year.

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

Last edited:

anthony263

Established Member
In agree the problems with a few of the stations west of Swansea such as Llanelli and Tenby is that they could do a bit more TLC.

Tenby was pretty ok when I last visisted in summer 2012 although there were a lot of weeds around the trackbed etc which didnt give a good impression

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I don't know if any efforts have been made in regards to Tenby station, but I doubt that a private booking office on its own would be economical. I could be wrong about that, of course as I don't know what the terms of any lease or rental agreement would be, but it seems to me that any business case would be better if it included some sort of retail activity, whether that be refreshments, books and magazines, or something else entirely.

The footbridge at Llanelli does attract loiterers at certain times. I think the best that can be done without spending a fair bit of money has already been done. Some form of community based enterprise might be able to attract some form of grant money to improve the appearance of at least part of the buildings. This might then be matched by railway funding for the rest of the station.

At present, though, I think it will be a long time before stations west of Swansea benefit from any major investment.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Milford Haven is a big disappointment for a terminus but the original building has long gone and at least the portakabin provides ticketing facilities.

There's a plan somewhere for sorting that out, probably awaiting funding like so many other things. As far as I recall it involved moving the track onto the old harbour branch against the bank, and using the site of the existing platform as a bus interchange rather than having the bus stop in the supermarket car park. Not sure whether it would provide much in the way of buildings.

Thunderer

Thanks
Adam

Hi Adam - I'm also from the Bridgend area and I've been over that route many times - it's a great journey :D I think the platform in question just at the top of the Landore Triangle (after leaving Swansea on the left hand spur of the triangle heading towards Llanelli) was a station called Cockett :)

Daimler

Established Member
I've only ever been west of Swansea (indeed, west of Cardiff!) once, which was in summer last year, when I took a trip of FGW's summer-only once a week 'Pembroke Coast Express' from Paddington. It was a great run - one of the best I've had in the UK - with the HST flying down to Cardiff, then taking the journey to Swansea a little slower, and then slowing right down for the scenic section to Camarthen and (in particular) the Pembroke Dock branch itself, where the train would stop before most level crossings.

The scenery was very beautiful in west Wales - I particularly enjoyed the estuary between Swansea and Camarthen - and it was a great pleasure to be able to experience it in the comfort of the direct train from London (we treated ourselves to First Great Western's very reasonable first class for the journey).

Status
Not open for further replies.