• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TOPS access?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
As far as I'm aware, there isn't a way to access it unless you're in the industry (but I may be wrong). The best bet for an enthusiast is either the pair of TOPS Requests threads on this site, or certain operators on RealTime Trains.

-Peter

Thepacerfan

Yes. You get a log in and get the system put onto your work computer by your employer if they agree that you require access.
As far as I'm aware, there isn't a way to access it unless you're in the industry (but I may be wrong). The best bet for an enthusiast is either the pair of TOPS Requests threads on this site, or certain operators on RealTime Trains.

-Peter
Thanks

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Does anybody know if there is a way to access the tops allocation. Thanks

Yes get a job that requires access to the system, get trained how to use it (god that is an odd interface) then get wound up when you cant make it work! The give up and get someone esle to do it!

It is a system like no other i have used, makes no sense and drove me mad! Glad i dont have to use it now!

Peter C

Established Member
You're welcome. It should be noted that, in the case of the TOPS Requests on here, the people answering requests are doing so in their spare time and therefore you can't expect a response straightaway.

-Peter

Gloster

Established Member
It is probably easier now then when I had to use it. Ring Eastleigh TOPS office by 09.00, along with everything else I had to do by 09.00. Read over the numbers I had written down in my notebook and then copy down the codes for the locations the vehicles’ labels had to be made out to.

Aictos

Established Member
Yes get a job that requires access to the system, get trained how to use it (god that is an odd interface) then get wound up when you cant make it work! The give up and get someone esle to do it!

It is a system like no other i have used, makes no sense and drove me mad! Glad i dont have to use it now!
You can make such requests using TRUST, I used to train people on using it and getting the most out of it - it really is a good bit of kit IF you know how to get the best out of it. If you don't then it's not going to be useful for you.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Or you can pay to subscribe to something like Freightmaster ( or some other Gen Lists) and hope that someone has had time to post a list on their forum at the time when you need one. But you need to remember that people with access to TOPS have a job to do, and can only post lists if they have a couple of minutes spare (e.g. a tea break), and their managers "overlook" it (or are unaware of it.).

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Real Time Trains has unit allocations for Avanti, CrossCountry, LNER, Northern, ScotRail and South Western Railway.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I've noticed following futile requests by a poster recently is that TOPS Requests in respect of WMT rarely ever get answered especially in respect of 170s which at present are undergoing a programme of formation changes and transfers thus generating added interest. I understood that TOPS was a universal system so that anybody with access would have access throughout the UK. but this leaves me wondering if access could possibly be restricted to those within a particular TOC if so desired.

LA50041

Established Member
I've noticed following futile requests by a poster recently is that TOPS Requests in respect of WMT rarely ever get answered especially in respect of 170s
Seriously?
As far as I can see there is only 1outstanding request on the TOPS threads which was this morning. I have personally anwered a large amount of 170 requests in the last 2 weeks and have seen responses from other posters too.
Remember that people need to be accessing a work computer to access TOPS/Trust and on weekends (Especially Sundays) there will be less people working.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
TOPS Requests in respect of WMT rarely ever get answered
I am sure this is because the members kind enough to help out aren't always available to answer such requests as they are busy working. I have been lucky enough to receive a number of allocations from such members in the past and always try to remember this. Therefore, members complaining because those with access are not immediately telling them where purple 170534 or whichever unit they want is, should remember that searching the units is something the members very kindly do while working, but is not their job.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Seriously?
As far as I can see there is only 1outstanding request on the TOPS threads which was this morning. I have personally anwered a large amount of 170 requests in the last 2 weeks and have seen responses from other posters too.
Remember that people need to be accessing a work computer to access TOPS/Trust and on weekends (Especially Sundays) there will be less people working.

Thanks. It was just the impression I had got. The query where somebody repeated was a couple of weeks ago and over a weekend which somebody pointed out at the time

HST274

I've noticed following futile requests by a poster recently is that TOPS Requests in respect of WMT rarely ever get answered especially in respect of 170s which at present are undergoing a programme of formation changes and transfers thus generating added interest. I understood that TOPS was a universal system so that anybody with access would have access throughout the UK. but this leaves me wondering if access could possibly be restricted to those within a particular TOC if so desired.
As said futile poster I have to agree now it is probably down to day of the week. Sadly, being busy on weekdays, weekends are the only days I am really free. I do think that despite it being country wide WMT queries are rarer than others but have not looked at everything on the forums so cannot say for sure.
-Robert

Tom

There are a couple of different systems that are in 'general availability' to railway staff - some can be locked down, some can't be. TOPS only really contains allocations for freight, and a limited number of passenger (Caledonian Sleeper), workings. TRUST is a viewing medium for other allocations and ISTR they can be punched straight into it via other systems or it goes and contacts things like Gemini Mainframe itself. You've also got Genius Mobile (not to be mistaken with Genius) which is the main medium most people seem to be getting allocations by internally most days - this one can be locked down.

Most passenger operators will be using systems such as Genius or Integrale (there's another few, Chiltern and c2c don't use either) to punch the allocation data into the system, that then cascades down into Gemini and thence into TRUST and other systems. RTT gets its allocations from all three possible tiers of systems depending on the operator.

RJ

Established Member
Web Gemini is useful for unit allocations for most TOCs. It gives the full diagrams. Certain commands in TRUST will show which units are allocated to a given service. I’ve had my own logins for Web Gemini and also Genius Mobile and Tornado which also shows allocations. At one point at work I used Network Rail computers - there were original documents with comprehensive guides on the commands to use with both TOPS and TRUST.

-Peter

Back in the day before I started on the railways I was permitted to use a TOPS computer at a local station simply by asking. That was 15 or so years ago though.

Status
Not open for further replies.