• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Total UK recoveries (or lack of reporting this), does this statistic matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brad465

Established Member
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but I couldn't find anything obvious on this specific subject already.

We seem to be one of the few countries not to have updated recovery figures from confirmed cases (unless I've missed it somewhere). I remember around the start of the lockdown a figure of 135 was reported by Public Health England, but apparently remained this value for a while before it stopped getting reported, such that we appear to be the only country with a 6 figure confirmed cases count that hasn't got a recovery count to go with it.

Which leads onto the thread question about should we be reporting this statistic (assuming it's actually being logged somewhere behind the scenes)? Personally I think we should be to understand how many cases are actually active, although others may disagree.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mogster

As I understand it recovery normally involves being prescribed steroid treatment for several months. That makes the recovered stats meaningless in the short term as you shouldn’t be recorded as being recovered until your treatment is complete. Maybe that’s why we aren’t reporting them?

Maybe people in hospital/discharged would be a more useful stat. Although people can be confirmed with Covid but actually be hospitalised for treatment for another condition.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but I couldn't find anything obvious on this specific subject already.

We seem to be one of the few countries not to have updated recovery figures from confirmed cases (unless I've missed it somewhere). I remember around the start of the lockdown a figure of 135 was reported by Public Health England, but apparently remained this value for a while before it stopped getting reported, such that we appear to be the only country with a 6 figure confirmed cases count that hasn't got a recovery count to go with it.

Which leads onto the thread question about should we be reporting this statistic (assuming it's actually being logged somewhere behind the scenes)? Personally I think we should be to understand how many cases are actually active, although others may disagree.
There are certainly statistics on number of people in hospital, scroll most of the way down this page (rather misleadingly titled "How many confirmed cases are there in your area?" but includes various statistics that don't always fit under that title): https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274
There were about 17,900 patients in hospital with the virus across Great Britain on 18 April, according to the latest government data - after a fall in the number in recent days.

Numbers rose slightly between 17 and 18 April - up by 150 but still below the peak on the 12 April. London's Covid-19 hospital patients dropped to just over 3,450 from a peak of about 4,800 on 8 April.
If they know that then they must also know the number who have been in hospital and left, and presumably if they were alive when they did so they will now be somewhere on the way to recovery. But no I haven't seen any published figures.

brad465

Established Member
As I understand it recovery normally involves being prescribed steroid treatment for several months. That makes the recovered stats meaningless in the short term as you shouldn’t be recorded as being recovered until your treatment is complete. Maybe that’s why we aren’t reporting them?

Maybe people in hospital/discharged would be a more useful stat. Although people can be confirmed with Covid but actually be hospitalised for treatment for another condition.
The steroid treatment is news to me (an online search doesn't reveal much about it being a specific treatment either).

111-111-1

Any statistic will be hard to prove unless a very large %age of the population are tested for antibodies, with a very reliable test. Recovery of those hospitalised will be useful but only cover those with severe cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.