• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Touch out and not go through barriers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halsebee

I have a very cheap advance ticket from London Victoria to Hove, but have a bicycle and am in North London. I dont want to cycle through Central London to Victoria so plan to take my bike on aThameslink train off peak from Finsbury park to east Croydon using contactless and pick up my Hove train from there. If I touch out and go through the barrier I don't suppose the barrier will let me back in at East Croydon as my ticket is from Victoria. Can I touch out and not go through the barrier or is there an issue with this?
Also, I I know technically it is starting a journey short on an advance ticket but I can't imagine anyone would be fussed about thst

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Birmingham

Staff might just wonder what you're doing if they notice. Ordinarily, you could wave them your ticket for onward travel, but your problem in this case is, as you note, that's not a valid ticket as you're starting short on an advance: while you'd normally get away with that, your little barrier dance could draw attention to it.

alistairlees

Established Member
Just cycle along Embankment - it'a all segregated - from Blackfriars to Westminster Bridge, then go across Parliament Square and down Birdcage Walk (quieter and nicer than Victoria Street) to get to Victoria.

boiledbeans2

Maybe use the Overground from Highbury & Islington to Clapham Junction? Then continue your advance ticket journey from Clapham.

There are standalone Oyster readers at Clapham, so no need for the barrier dance. In addition, the Oyster/contactless fare would be cheaper for this journey compared to your original East Croydon plan.

Sonic1234

Southern advance tickets to the South Coast are also available from East Croydon, so if you do this journey again in the future you can buy the Advance from East Croydon. All Southern barriers will reject Advances, they're set up to do this.

jupiter

I was amazed how straightforward cycling through London (between Waterloo and Kings X and vv was. Cycle lane sir? No problem. Uh huh, No Entry, except cycles, right this way sir. I was dreading it and really enjoyed it.

miklcct

On Moderation
Just cycle along Embankment - it'a all segregated - from Blackfriars to Westminster Bridge, then go across Parliament Square and down Birdcage Walk (quieter and nicer than Victoria Street) to get to Victoria.
You can also use the sub-surface line to get to Victoria as well.

Halsebee

Thank you went via Overground from Upper Holloway and the touched out on platform at CJ. Seamless and nearly as cheap as cycling!
Interested hear cycling from King's Cross through Central London is easy. I couldn't find a good online route finder that showed good routes though the centre.
Although this isn't a cycling forum can anyone recommend a good site?

hkstudent

Established Member
Thank you went via Overground from Upper Holloway and the touched out on platform at CJ. Seamless and nearly as cheap as cycling!
Interested hear cycling from King's Cross through Central London is easy. I couldn't find a good online route finder that showed good routes though the centre.
Although this isn't a cycling forum can anyone recommend a good site?
I think you can follow this route if you are not confident at all in open traffic.

Many cyclist forums are kind of a bit pro levels and may find it difficult to suggest an elementary route to you.

For your next go-to Brighton / Hove, maybe consider a Super Off-Peak Return (Sat / Sun) from Harringay Green Lanes (+2.80) / Finsbury Park (+£5) / St. Pancras to Brighton, £13.70 (standard adult), similar to Southern's Advance fare.

Last edited:

Tester

Sticking with the OP's question, have we definitely confirmed that if you touch out at a barrier but do not pass through, (because for example you have an onward paper ticket and no stand alone validator is available) it counts as a valid touch out, rather than cancelling itself?

Magdalen Road

Cyclechat would probably help you out with a route. Generally friendly bunch.

Although this isn't a cycling forum can anyone recommend a good s

danm14

Sticking with the OP's question, have we definitely confirmed that if you touch out at a barrier but do not pass through, (because for example you have an onward paper ticket and no stand alone validator is available) it counts as a valid touch out, rather than cancelling itself?
If it did cancel itself, I would expect there to be near-constant issues in the form of incomplete journeys caused by sensors failing to detect the person passing through the barrier and erroneously cancelling the touch out.

4COR

You can also use the sub-surface line to get to Victoria as well.
I was going to say this - the circle, district, H&C and Met all allow non-folding cycles, just as long as it's not between 7:30-9:30am, or 16:00-19:00 on Mon-Fri. Though, I would probably just try and find a good route like the one above - going round the sub surface lines from Kings Cross to Victoria is painfully slow compared to what is a 4 mile bike ride.

Halsebee

I think you can follow this route if you are not confident at all in open traffic.

Many cyclist forums are kind of a bit pro levels and may find it difficult to suggest an elementary route to you.

For your next go-to Brighton / Hove, maybe consider a Super Off-Peak Return (Sat / Sun) from Harringay Green Lanes (+2.80) / Finsbury Park (+£5) / St. Pancras to Brighton, £13.70 (standard adult), similar to Southern's Advance fare.
Great video thanks.
Might make use of the tickets recommended.
On a slightly different note, I thought there were Thameslink only tickets available from London to Brighton, but I can't find them, do they ex8st?

hkstudent

Established Member
Great video thanks.
Might make use of the tickets recommended.
On a slightly different note, I thought there were Thameslink only tickets available from London to Brighton, but I can't find them, do they ex8st?
If you select a origin from Thameslink core, originally they were issued as Thameslink only but nowadays are covered by London Not Underground ticket, same price for both though, according to fare database like brfares.com

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It won't cancel itself.
Can you still amend an incomplete journey on the TfL Contactless Account?
Yes, in certain circumstances, up to a limit of 3 times per calendar month.

Tester

It won't cancel itself.
Many thanks.

Intuitively I didn't think it would, given that it has already displayed fare and balance, but there's nothing like hearing from someone who actually knows!

I presume that the barrier will re-close automatically after a preset time.

zero

In theory, you could just not bother with the barriers and get a maximum fare which is meant to be automatically refunded as long as you don't do it too often.

I did this for the first time last weekend, as I couldn't be bothered to go up the stairs and I would have accepted paying the maximum fare. But it looks like TfL hasn't progressed the charge at all

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
In theory, you could just not bother with the barriers and get a maximum fare which is meant to be automatically refunded as long as you don't do it too often.

I did this for the first time last weekend, as I couldn't be bothered to go up the stairs and I would have accepted paying the maximum fare. But it looks like TfL hasn't progressed the charge at all
Was this contactless? If there is a missing touch then TfL will delay collecting the money for a day in case there was a problem with one of the readers communicating with the central database.

Maximum fares are NOT automatically refunded. You have the ability to say where the missing touch was up to 3 times a month. Beyond that you need to contact the helpdesk to explain what might have happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.