• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tourism : Hidden Gems within the UK .. where ?

DelW

Established Member
Not quite sure if they're still plying the briny blue waters of the Clyde, but a day trip cruise on the Sludge Boats are/were? a great attraction. It was possible to have a lovely meal amidst the spectacular scenery of the Firth of Clyde while the sludge was being pumped.
Sludge dumping at sea was prohibited from about 2000, but the Shieldhall, once one of the Glasgow sludge boats, is preserved and sails tourist trips from and around coastal resorts.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Sludge dumping at sea was prohibited from about 2000, but the Shieldhall, once one of the Glasgow sludge boats, is preserved and sails tourist trips from and around coastal resorts.
What with this and my post #24 -- I slightly fear being reckoned to have a mental age of seven or so, vis-a-vis preoccupation with a certain topic; but I recall being told long ago by a Glaswegian, that these boats -- or their predecessors, carrying out a less-sophisticated procedure -- were with typical local pawky humour, dubbed "banana boats".

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The area around Whitley & Briestfield (near Dewsbury in West Yorkshire) is definitely a "hidden gem", an entire valley that you'd never know was there if you didn't venture off the A-roads. Some lovely views, loads of walks, barely any traffic due to the hidden-ness, and a few nice pubs.

railfan99

Established Member
Lancaster Castle might not quite be a 'hidden gem', but it was close to the station and interesting to tour, unlike Windsor Castle that I found very poor value for money.

Saltaire's The Mills was also terrific.

McRhu

Not the same ambience without the sludge. But returning to Shieldhall's old locus there are several billion hidden gems around the Firth of Clyde. Puck's Glen (just north of Holy Loch) is a favourite of mine, with the caveat that it's better if it's not belting down with rain (which it occasionally does in the Firth of Clyde).

This tiny island in Loch Carron, a stone’s throw from Duncraig railway station (also a gem)
IMG_3243.jpeg

King Lazy

I always think Lancaster is an underrated city. If the castle were in any other city it would be swamped with tourists yet I’ve wandered around the outside of it on many occasions and barely seen a soul. In many ways I hope it stays that way!

I’ve always liked Northumberland. I remember visiting the most fantastically eclectic museum at Chain Bridge Honey Farm and the nearby bridge. The area is also quite quiet. The A roads seem dead compared to my locality (which itself is hardly urban). The coastal scenery is wonderful too although the sea always seems freezing on that side of the country!

I also liked Argyle and Bute. It seems out on a limb and to be a part of Scotland people don’t head to as it’s not on the route to the other attractions.